1993 Camburg ranger build.

Now comes the fun part. Mounting the cooler, trans cooler, battery, tire strap, jack & handle should have some progress pics over the weekend, I got most of the plumbing stuff showing up over the next few days. Can you mount a harbor freight jack on its side?

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 73
Now comes the fun part. Mounting the cooler, trans cooler, battery, tire strap, jack & handle should have some progress pics over the weekend, I got most of the plumbing stuff showing up over the next few days. Can you mount a harbor freight jack on its side?
Storing floor jacks on their side causes air to get trapped in the cylinder sometimes, I wouldn’t advise it. Happens to pallet jacks a lot, guys tip them on their side so they don’t roll around.
Truck looks awesome by the way. I like the bed cage design. 👍🏻

Storing floor jacks on their side causes air to get trapped in the cylinder sometimes, I wouldn’t advise it. Happens to pallet jacks a lot, guys tip them on their side so they don’t roll around.
Thank you! My whole objective building it was to be as simple, minimalistic as possible yet strong and functional

Honestly the Tips and Tricks stuff like this is why I love Forums... Never knew that and wont forget it now! I'll forget someone's name in 10 seconds or less but info like this sticks with me haha.

How does air get introduced into the cylinder?

I honestly don’t know because I figured the system was sealed. But I have seen it in our warehouse with pallet jacks.
I would think if the jack is on its side the check valves can move. The bleeder valve is also on the top of the system so this would imply that the system has an orientation and the air would be at the highest point and not be able to enter the fluid system.
This video has a cool view of how it works.
Like I said, I don’t really know why but from what I have seen I wouldn’t risk it.

Sorry if I implied I was an expert and knew definitively.
I was just giving advise based on my experience.

Last thing I will say is we have had the air get into the jacks so badly that we can’t even bleed it out. Again, don’t know why. Just seen it…

I’ve found the same to be true with hanging mountain bikes vertically. Somehow air comes into play and messes with the brakes. I used to have to bleed brakes on my MTB’s after storing them vertically. Never had an issue with leaving bikes upright though.

Aren’t you kind of an engineer?
Can’t you help us simpletons understand? 😁
well, you called me out and i went off the deep end.
first of all jacks wont take in air...its already inside the internal oil reservoirs.
jack service orientation determines how the ram is designed, more importantly how the reservoir and check valve system is designed. a floor jack has a horizontal ram in it that is designed to work in a horizontal position. it can not pump air before oil as long as the ram is in a horizontal position...doesn't matter if the jack is right side up, sideways, or upside down.
bottle jacks are made to be used and stored vertically, they have a different reservoir and check valve system in em. if you lay a bottle jack on its side itll work for a little then stop almost immediately, this is because the air in the reservoir is bypassing the reserve oil and being pumped in to the piston chamber. think of DAS BOOT from beer fest and your mouth is the piston chamber.
when you service a jack and bleed the system of air you are bleeding the piston chamber not the reserve oil resis.
pallet jacks essentially have bottle hacks in em so they're meant to be used and stored upright hence why they stop working after you lay them down.

ill file that in my useless shit brain folder.

To add. I’m not an expert. Proceed with Jack mounting at your own risk😂

Last edited:
Nicely said. Makes sense. I’m glad we could invest vast brain power in such issues. We are changing the world, one useless piece of information at a time.
It’s cool this place people actually discuss and help instead of just jumping on one another for asking questions. Good forum.

Back to the build. I love the cooler being part of the mock up. I wish I had thought that far ahead on some past project.

I sooo wanna jump ahead and just skip through things, but this is the first truck I’ve done from the ground up. So I wanna make sure I check all the boxes of the stuff that’s gonna go back there. I’ve collected parts for years to be ready for this moment. 😂 I think with the info marcel provided I’m gonna mount that jack on its side and see what happens lol as a experiment before I read all this I left the jack on its side for a day and then put it right side up and she pumped up just fine. I ordered most of my plumbing shit off Amazon. I decided to see what happens and use the EVIL MFG branded fuel pump, filters , hose and AN fittings. The quality seems about the same as XRP. I had to ship the fuel pump to my cousin in Colorado! It’s getting ridiculous to buy stuff in CA

I’m gonna order the Eastwood brake line flare set up that mounts in the vice. I borrowed my buddys blue point hydraulic one and it’s a pain in the ass to get the flairs correct. So that being said before I take the plunge does anyone have any suggestions on ones they like?

Well I got swapped to working a swing grave yard shift for 3 weeks so progress slowed a bit as my days off were Wednesday and Thursday but here is some progress!

Attachments

• 72185549534__7D7B92B0-24DA-4599-988E-B301EEBF3238.jpeg
    72185549534__7D7B92B0-24DA-4599-988E-B301EEBF3238.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 72185553032__309C5B62-FC7F-4BEF-9901-A6519A7ED3FF.jpeg
    72185553032__309C5B62-FC7F-4BEF-9901-A6519A7ED3FF.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 72185551640__163BEFE3-F855-4863-8B17-2A69BB138635.jpeg
    72185551640__163BEFE3-F855-4863-8B17-2A69BB138635.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 44
I bought a piece of round stock aluminum to make some body mounts and my buddy / Roommate talon took them to work and turned them on the lathe to delete the rubber ones. As far as droop goes the trucks got about a 1/8” to go but it will most likely will be strapped at 24”

Attachments

• 72256702705__A9F68848-19C1-491C-9BB7-4B255ACE127E.jpeg
    72256702705__A9F68848-19C1-491C-9BB7-4B255ACE127E.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back