Garage Tools

I have the hf roller and it always seems to twist the material. So it kind of spirals. I’ve tried making sure the tigers are all in line with different spacers. Not sure what it is. I beefed it up with my own swag style wings

I've had the same issue. Worked around it by having a buddy guiding the tubing as it's being rolled to stop the twist.

Seen dialeds post his on bandsaw setup and thought I’d throw this out there. Portable band saw stand from harbor freight. I haven’t used one yet but planning to pick one up. Also harbor freight carries their own version of foot pedal switches, they have on/off and momentary versions. View attachment 12204

Was about to pull the trigger on this for my band saw but picked up a the large HF 14" wood cutting saw on craigslist for $100

I plan on doing a gear reduction similar to this guy.

Was about to pull the trigger on this for my band saw but picked up a the large HF 14" wood cutting saw on craigslist for $100

I plan on doing a gear reduction similar to this guy.

Thanks for that bandsaw video. I have a wood cutting saw that I’ve been wanting to convert but had no real idea of how to do it. As well as cheaply.

1. JD2 model 3
2. Whatever the hell vertical unit @the bodj has

Peruse Craigslist and marketplace for bender/die package deals or buy the same bender as your friends so you can all buy different dies and share as required.

Mine is based on an Affordable Tube bender. Worked fine for mild steel. DOM wrecked it so I rebuilt my own out of 3/8" plate and it worked ok. I bought plate to make my own JD2 style that I'll be running vertically still.

Thanks for that bandsaw video. I have a wood cutting saw that I’ve been wanting to convert but had no real idea of how to do it. As well as cheaply.

I'm already looking online for the pulllys since here didn't post links.

Mine is based on an Affordable Tube bender. Worked fine for mild steel. DOM wrecked it so I rebuilt my own out of 3/8" plate and it worked ok. I bought plate to make my own JD2 style that I'll be running vertically still.

I have the same bender. I've had great luck bending mostly 1.75" DOM.

I did crack a die recently but after building over a hundred bumpers and multiple roll cages I can't be mad lol

Built a rolling cart out of some scrap and added a 12ton air over hydro ram from HF.

I'll post pics later.

I have the same bender. I've had great luck bending mostly 1.75" DOM.

I did crack a die recently but after building over a hundred bumpers and multiple roll cages I can't be mad lol

Built a rolling cart out of some scrap and added a 12ton air over hydro ram from HF.

I'll post pics later.

Yeah let's see yours. My angles are just off with where the tabs mount for the dies, so it causes the tabs to bend. I have a 20 ton air over hydro ram on it lol.

Yeah let's see yours. My angles are just off with where the tabs mount for the dies, so it causes the tabs to bend. I have a 20 ton air over hydro ram on it lol.

Hahahah thought mine was over kill with the 12 ton lol

smGyFL.jpg

xcFeSh.jpg

RTz8N1.jpg

37MwYn.jpg

hqn77O.jpg

n54Mzf.jpg

Welding helmets...lol. I still use the same helmet I bought 28 years ago. I have tried some of them new fangled auto-darkening hoods when they first came out and could not stand them.

20230808_081852.jpg

And here is the beast!! Also very old.

20230808_081928.jpg

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a tap-and-die set?

I have a cheap one, and not happy with it.
1. every time I open it, looks like a bomb went off.
2. the tool holders, don't hold the taps, everything is loose so it sucks to use and tap something.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a tap-and-die set?

I have a cheap one, and not happy with it.
1. every time I open it, looks like a bomb went off.
2. the tool holders, don't hold the taps, everything is loose so it sucks to use and tap something.
i've got the Irwin SAE set from lowes for a couple years now. case is small and fits in the toolbox nicely but the handles do suck ass. I think ive used a socket ratchet to avoid the T-handle a couple times. better than the craftsman "full set" we have at our shop. im happy with the irwin set for now, shouldve just gotten the metric set at the time, needed it a few times since then

In need of a new welding helmet...

looking for some suggestions
I have always had Fibre-Metal hoods, had a Futura XXL for a long time that I loved but it died so I got a fiberglass fibre-metal hood and a Sellstrom auto darkening insert. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_7646.jpeg
    IMG_7646.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 8
No idea where my small tap and die set came from since I "borrowed" it forever from my Dad. It's in an orange case with a clear sliding cover that fits tight and says Made in Japan, which I've heard is key for good tap and die set.

For the metric stuff I use to chase threads after I remove broken bolts is a harbor freight kit. I wouldn't use it to cut threads from scratch but it works good to clean up threads after bolts are broken out or had to drill them out.

I also just got a Vevor tap and die set BUT i have not used it yet. I got it because it has a lot of different sizes I don't have and haven't ever needed before but it would be killer on some jobs if I don't have it to try and get the bolt out or get the job done and have to wait for one to come in mail order OR trying to find one in town, which would kill half a day since I live out in the yucca trees.

For the 3/8-24 and a few more common small sizes that I've used to drill and tap my snout blocks with I bought a couple new die's from drills and cutters and they haven't broke yet BUT i am drilling the correct size holes and using my vertical mill to start them perfectly straight and in line after drilling the hole.

Buy good holders from starret or similar, a decent set from irwin or gear wrench, then really high quality ones for the taps you use often or will scrap an expensive part if it breaks.

Sean

Buy good holders from starret or similar, a decent set from irwin or gear wrench, then really high quality ones for the taps you use often or will scrap an expensive part if it breaks.

Sean
i really dont use taps and dies often, but i have needed them a few times lately and every single time i have to resist the urge to trash themm. I have welded nuts on 2 of them so they are easier to use, but i am so frustrated i am at the point i want to spend the money... and likely never need them ever again. lmao

crafstman still make okay stuff? this set is marked down, and the holders for the taps look better than the ones which just have them sitting loose.

I have these and they work good just gotta use my stubby ratchet so I don't muscle the taps and break them.

IRWIN Tap Socket Set, Adjustable, 2-Piece (3095001) https://a.co/d/a5hQdET

Back