Garage Tools

On the small taps in particular, using a ratchet is a great way to break shit off because the tap gets side loaded unless you are super careful. If you have to use something like a ratchet, at least use a t-handle and a socket.

You can also get tap socket sets that hold the little square.

My only tap set is a craftsman set circa 2008ish. Its okay. They don't like stainless or remotely hard stuff. Ive had issues with plasma/laser cut edges on them before.

Sean

i really dont use taps and dies often, but i have needed them a few times lately and every single time i have to resist the urge to trash themm. I have welded nuts on 2 of them so they are easier to use, but i am so frustrated i am at the point i want to spend the money... and likely never need them ever again. lmao

crafstman still make okay stuff? this set is marked down, and the holders for the taps look better than the ones which just have them sitting loose.
we have that exact craftsman set at work, the tap and dies are tough but the box definately has the explosion every time i open it up. i have to use channel locks to lock the handle down on the tap or the tool will just fall out

i really dont use taps and dies often, but i have needed them a few times lately and every single time i have to resist the urge to trash themm. I have welded nuts on 2 of them so they are easier to use, but i am so frustrated i am at the point i want to spend the money... and likely never need them ever again. lmao

crafstman still make okay stuff? this set is marked down, and the holders for the taps look better than the ones which just have them sitting loose.

I have that Craftsman set and its worked great the last 4 years ive used it. Mainly use one certain tap and handle for adding Schrader valves to FOX shock top caps or resi caps to replace the needle fill pellet ports, but ive used multiple dies and they all did their job, and case keeps all the pieces in place tightly.

Ive got a garage full of all kinds of random tools but my new favorite is the Harbor Freight 20 ton press. It's been a game changer rebuilding shocks.

also, another new favorite "tool" that i use just about every night is the MATCO rechargeable work light.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MWLMFLG2

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a tap-and-die set?

I have a cheap one, and not happy with it.
1. every time I open it, looks like a bomb went off.
2. the tool holders, don't hold the taps, everything is loose so it sucks to use and tap something.
i wanted to follow up on this post... i finally got around to using my new tap and die set i got with the help of a member on here.

HOLY SHIT quality tools are so worth it... these are night and day vs my old set, the holders and everything are so much nicer and actually hold the tool tight, and have a hole for a ratchet vs having to use the handle. I wanted to tap a ton more holes but i ran out. lol

Love it! I haven’t used it very much recently, but I’d say it’s definitely worth it. Pretty easy to setup and much cheaper than most others.
i got one of the 1st 100 of the 2x2 tables when they where a start up. played with the fushion360 for a bit. seemed easy but i just did not have the room or patients. sold it before i ever set it up. i see there is a program out now that you can hand draw what you want and test fit with poster paper and then just scan it in.

i got one of the 1st 100 of the 2x2 tables when they where a start up. played with the fushion360 for a bit. seemed easy but i just did not have the room or patients. sold it before i ever set it up. i see there is a program out now that you can hand draw what you want and test fit with poster paper and then just scan it in.
This is more my speed! haha.

Actually in my welding class in highschool we had something similar where you'd just draw out with a black pen what you wanted and it'd cut.

You can do that with Fusion or Solidworks. Make your paper/cardboard template, scan it in (or take a picture with your phone), import the image into the software, trace over your lines, and you're done. That's how I do most of my stuff.

ArcDroid

I heard about it awhile ago. If you fiddle fuck with the CAD softwares, you can pick it up pretty quick. As @the bodj said, import a picture and connect the dots. That ArcDroid is pretty pricey when you can get a free software to do the same thing.

And thank you very much for selling it to me, buddy :)

But +1 to what Bodj suggested, if the thing I want cut is some nebulous shape I'll use CAD (Cardboard aided design), then scan it, then use fusion360 to draw on it & create the g-code for the crossfire then bam. the process isn't toooo much slower than laying out & cutting manually but the quality of part is higher.
I also work in CAD (computer aided design) regularly as part of my day job so that part of the workflow isn't a burden.

You can do that with Fusion or Solidworks. Make your paper/cardboard template, scan it in (or take a picture with your phone), import the image into the software, trace over your lines, and you're done. That's how I do most of my stuff.
What program do you recommend for doing exactly what you just explained? Fusion or Solidworks? Everything I do is templates and bandsaw but I've been wanting to draw stuff on the computer and use send cut send more for bigger pieces?

A few things ive purchased recently-

I had bad luck with my last few nutsert tools- i picked this one up and used it for the first time last night. Works really well.

Nutsert Tool

I work in my 2 car garage- i dont like people looking in so i usually work with the garage door shut which ends up being a dusty environment. Although i wear a respirator when im grinding/cutting I ordered one of these air filters to hang from my ceiling. Will update with how it works.

Air Filter

IMG_2315.jpegIMG_2157.jpegPicked this up for $600 to replace my POS HF drill press. Made my first chips today. It’s awesome! So rigid compared to a drill press. I can’t wait to try some actual milling on it.

What program do you recommend for doing exactly what you just explained? Fusion or Solidworks? Everything I do is templates and bandsaw but I've been wanting to draw stuff on the computer and use send cut send more for bigger pieces?

You can do them equally easily in either program. I have an older SW program (2017) on my garage computer and I typically use that for onsie-twosie plates while I’m working. I have a separate laptop that’s more powerful that I use fusion for more complex modeling

A few things ive purchased recently-

I had bad luck with my last few nutsert tools- i picked this one up and used it for the first time last night. Works really well.

Nutsert Tool

I work in my 2 car garage- i dont like people looking in so i usually work with the garage door shut which ends up being a dusty environment. Although i wear a respirator when im grinding/cutting I ordered one of these air filters to hang from my ceiling. Will update with how it works.

Air Filter

I have the same filter box above my plasma table. Works great! The timer is a super nice feature

Back