Local Legend Don't Call It An S10

So stoked for you dude! Wish i coulda hung out with you guys more out there.

You taking the new rig out to cal city for thanksgiving? If you need any trailer parts as far as cassis and down goes, let me know. Axles, brakes, bearings, wheel/tires, lights, accessories etc.. Been in the trailer game a few years now.

That's always how these trips go. So many people, so little time hah.

I'm not sure what my plans are for after thanksgiving. My family might be camping up in the forest, so we might go with them. Not too sure. And good to know! Will do.

Truck looks awesome man! I’m bummed I missed this trip.

Thanks Brad! We'll get out there soon.

In other news the truck sounds sooo good in the dirt, but it is unbearable on the highway. I'm going to swap the mufflers out. I currently have these

Amazon.com

And am thinking of going with these

Amazon.com

One of the largest I've found from Borla. They should fit and are pretty inexpensive. I don't want to lose all sound though, so maybe these?

Amazon.com

I do have a Flowmaster delta series 50 sitting in the garage. I'd only need to buy one more, but not sure I'll like the sound. Plus, the Borlas have a better construction. Flowmasters are built thin.

In other news the truck sounds sooo good in the dirt, but it is unbearable on the highway. I'm going to swap the mufflers out. I currently have these

Amazon.com

And am thinking of going with these

Amazon.com

One of the largest I've found from Borla. They should fit and are pretty inexpensive. I don't want to lose all sound though, so maybe these?

Amazon.com

I do have a Flowmaster delta series 50 sitting in the garage. I'd only need to buy one more, but not sure I'll like the sound. Plus, the Borlas have a better construction. Flowmasters are built thin.

I have the one you linked first out of the two Borlas, the ProXS. Mine’s the 40665 which looks to be similar sized but is offset not centered. It’s very mellow with the 3.4 V6 and K+N FIPK but I’m not too sure how quiet it would be with your setup. My highway rpms are around 2600 and no drone.

These are the best mufflers around!!

I look forward to seeing the prerunner towing a camping trailer, that will be a hoot. Might need bypasses though.

I have the one you linked first out of the two Borlas, the ProXS. Mine’s the 40665 which looks to be similar sized but is offset not centered. It’s very mellow with the 3.4 V6 and K+N FIPK but I’m not too sure how quiet it would be with your setup. My highway rpms are around 2600 and no drone.

I'm right at the same RPM as you, so should be similar. I already have the Flowmaster, so I'll buy one more and see how it sounds.

These are the best mufflers around!!

I look forward to seeing the prerunner towing a camping trailer, that will be a hoot. Might need bypasses though.

Hah! They give me headaches from wearing them all day. Plus, they don't make them for doggos yet

Weekend recap:

I packed up the truck Friday morning and left by 11:15am. Got to Barstow two and a half hours later and calculated I got a true 11.5mpg, which is an increase from the 10 I was previously getting. The gearing in the rear axle isn't ideal for mpg (5.29s put it at 2750 RPM at 70mph). Temps and oil pressure were solid the whole way up, and power was insane. Passing while going uphill is easily done with little throttle input and no downshifting. It's seriously such a different truck.

Anyways, after unpacking the truck, setting up the tent, air mattress, and sleeping bag, I said my hellos to everyone. My wife ended up staying home, since her back is still sore from getting rear ended a couple weeks back. We both decided bouncing around the desert wouldn't be the best thing for her. I also was nervous about the new motor and didn't want her experiencing a 3hr AAA ride home. Instead, my cousin drove up to ride along with me. He arrived and we BSed a bit before hopping in the truck and taking dirt to Barstow Del Taco for dinner with Andrew and Lauren. After dinner we cruised back and crashed pretty early.

It was 35 degrees overnight, so I turned on my Mr.Buddy heater inside the tent, putting a small bubble in the air mattress. Well, that bubble eventually popped, meaning we were sleeping on the ground that night. Anyways, we signed in for the clean up event, rallied a group together, and went looking for trash. The truck was running awesome, but wasn't cooling well. I had to stop quite a few times with the hood open to bring temps back down. We were climbing hills and putting a pretty good load on the truck, but it was still a pain. Definitely have air in the system, and need bigger fans. Aside from that, we kept filling trash bags, loading up truck beds, and made two runs back to the dumpsters. In a few hours, about 400 volunteers filled 11 roll off dumpsters. Unfortunately, it doesn't even feel like we made a dent in the trash that's out there.

Once everything settled down, mostly everyone was rallied together to do a flag run in honor of Veterans Day. It was just a slow cruise, and I decided to sit it out due to going slow and my cooling issues. Instead, a small group of us went over to the Wash Jump. I got out with my handheld radio to watch my friends jump, and call for when the runway is clear of vehicles and safe to jump. More trucks started to come and participate, including a trophy truck, which was insane to see and hear. He was hauling the mail and sending it. I eventually passed the radio off to a friend and got in my truck to hit it a few times. I was very surprised how well my truck took crossing the bottom, but lining up for the right trail at speed was a challenge, so I didn't leave the takeoff with as much speed as I wanted each time, but a couple of them felt decent

View attachment 16612

I was making my way back from my second or third jump when my truck made the most AWFUL squeal. I thought I had spun a bearing. Thank God I had just forgotten to tighten the inspection plate over the torque converter, so it was barely hanging on and grinding on the flexplate. Took off the last bolt holding it on and no more noise! Kept jumping for as long as we were able to see with the sun going down and heavy dust.

Went back to camp for dinner, hung around the fire, and then knocked out on the lumpy desert floor due to my now fully deflated air mattress. It wasn't as cold as the previous night, but I had a lump under my back so sleeping was rough. After tossing and turning, I decided it's time to finally upgrade my camping game. I got home around 10am, and by 1pm my wife and I were driving away with a new-to-us pop up camper - a 2002 Coleman Santa Fe. We had been looking for a while and trying to decide what route to go in terms of camping upgrades - do we get a cab over for the Silverado? It's only a 1500, so we'd be limited to ultralite models which are expensive and most don't have a bathroom, and I'd need to buy a trailer to haul the prerunner, which is an added expense, spot in the driveway, and would definitely be too much for the 1500 to handle with the camper in the bed. Do we sell the 1500 and get a small class C? I'd still need to get a trailer for towing the prerunner, and that entire setup was largely out of our budget. The small pop up camper can easily be towed by the prerunner, especially with the new drivetrain, or I can tow it with the 1500 if it's not an offroading trip. I'll still add the rooftop tent to the prerunner for point-to-point trips. Overall, we're stoked. We cleaned all the surfaces when we brought it home, and, while it's not perfect, the blemishes it has are not detrimental, and we got it for a great price from a young family who made a ton of memories in it. I'm already planning on extending the tongue to add room for mounting a dirtbike on the front, giving it a bit of a lift and some wider tires.

View attachment 16613

View attachment 16614

All in all, an awesome weekend, and successful first trip with the new drivetrain!

I was on the radio flagging the jump, your truck looked great hitting it. For a first trip out id say it was a success. I didnt realize it was a ttb, just thought it was beamed.

Hope to see it out in the dirt again soon!

I was on the radio flagging the jump, your truck looked great hitting it. For a first trip out id say it was a success. I didnt realize it was a ttb, just thought it was beamed.

Hope to see it out in the dirt again soon!

Thanks for taking over! I was flagging initially, but wanted a few turns at it.

Yeah it's TTB, but no front driveshaft yet. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the 5.29 gearing in the back, so I'm running it for a bit before I gear the front diff and have a driveshaft made.

Ok. Super impressed seeing how the S10 started compared to what I got to see this weekend! The transformation is insane!! I had no idea and didn’t realize how quickly you built it out to what it is now 🤯

Good to see you out there and congrats on the new pop up! :) would’ve let you guys sleep in our trailer if our dog wasn’t an arse. Haha

Ok. Super impressed seeing how the S10 started compared to what I got to see this weekend! The transformation is insane!! I had no idea and didn’t realize how quickly you built it out to what it is now 🤯

Good to see you out there and congrats on the new pop up! :) would’ve let you guys sleep in our trailer if our dog wasn’t an arse. Haha

Thanks Lauren! Still has a ways to go till I'm faster than Andrew's truck, but just give it some time :)
Freaking Cora

*Don't call it an s10*

Your truck is too dope, great photos!

Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

My wife came home yesterday and goes “It’s back on jackstands already?!” Lol.

Anyways, pulled the rear shocks to plug a bleed screw and change springs from 16” 350 over 16” 350. Going to 14” 350 over 16” 450. This should be what I need without my roof top tent, but I will probably end up getting a 400# top spring soon. Plugging the bleed should help my low speed a fair bit so I’m not slamming the bumps through rollers. Valving is 15 comp/12 rebound as it came from King. Decided not to mess with the shims at this point to see what effect plugging one screw has, rather than try a bunch of changes at once and not knowing what caused the effect.

I also added a hitch so I can pull the trailer, added a 7 pin plug, and brake controller.

And lastly, I cut out the Borlas I had and replaced them with Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 Series and fixed the tips. I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet to see what difference it made.

Attachments

• C1CE7E29-8416-48C6-9D62-5705E2F8DC70.jpeg
    C1CE7E29-8416-48C6-9D62-5705E2F8DC70.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 27
  • AF9FACA6-E7C6-4CD9-983F-DF3EA75526A1.jpeg
    AF9FACA6-E7C6-4CD9-983F-DF3EA75526A1.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3AA4B3EE-CAF5-41E2-8D7B-D1249B40844F.jpeg
    3AA4B3EE-CAF5-41E2-8D7B-D1249B40844F.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 66F43D6F-F7F1-4A97-BA08-A360C246EDCE.jpeg
    66F43D6F-F7F1-4A97-BA08-A360C246EDCE.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 33
  • EFEE44EF-A1F1-48C9-BE21-94C97CBBE91C.jpeg
    EFEE44EF-A1F1-48C9-BE21-94C97CBBE91C.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 34
Nice!! Where is the triangulation/gusseting/beefing of the upper link mounts on your priority list?

On raptors they run extended bump stop pads. Works just like an airbag. You can jack up the truck and pop it out to put the shorty back in once you disconnect the trailer

It looks worse than it feels.

I just ordered a dual flex-a-lite fan kit. Apparently the Amazon ones I have only pull a claimed 800cfm but I don’t feel any draw when my hand is in front of the radiator. Hopefully this helps my cooking situation. It’s plenty cool at speed, but ramps up when going slow. This coupled with a new radiator (soon) should take care of everything

There are much nicer fans out there than the flex a lite kits. They need a custom shroud and mounting etc but they’re insane. Pull something like 90amps on startup too. Used 3 of them on our shop TT prerunner with an LSX.

Back