Hoopdee 94.0 Bronco

You can widen the passenger side this way because the axle can float around in many directions. I always setup the 3rd, up right. wider axle and stub and make sure the snout can slide over it and steer before you weld anything! You don't know how many people have cut their beams apart to get it to align after they have welded everything and been screwed!
When you weld up all the plating and truss do you leave the 3rd bolted up in place to keep the sealing surface and beam from distorting?

Mocked up the beams under the truck. Set ride height, wheel base, caster and camber then tacked some scrap to the Rame to hold them. Next I will cut and extend the axle shafts ( I know it sucks to be poor) but custom axles are expensive. Then mock up the front drive line.

image1 10.jpeg
image0 10.jpeg

Mocked up the beams under the truck. Set ride height, wheel base, caster and camber then tacked some scrap to the Rame to hold them. Next I will cut and extend the axle shafts ( I know it sucks to be poor) but custom axles are expensive. Then mock up the front drive line.

View attachment 25912
View attachment 25913
Looking good. Use something bigger then .120 wall. It’s been 15 years or so since I lengthen axles but I remember either using .188 or .250.

Looking good. Use something bigger then .120 wall. It’s been 15 years or so since I lengthen axles but I remember either using .188 or .250.
I checked with a dial caliper looks like the axle shafts are 1 3/8" diameter where they need to be sliced. Iv got 1 3/8" solid bar for the extension piece and 1 3/4" x .188 DOM for the sleeve.

Any one have any tips on how to keep the axles strait when extending? I'm all ears haha. My plan was to use 1/4" thick angle iron and hose clamps across all the pieces.

Side note for anyone in the future searching for a base line on how much to (cut n turn) extend the lower ball joint it took 7/8" on both beams to get the camber back to 0* at ride height. Ride height being set at 23 1/2" bottom fender to center of snout *roughly*
How much higher over stock ride height are you shooting for? 4"?

Looks good dude. Clean.

I checked with a dial caliper looks like the axle shafts are 1 3/8" diameter where they need to be sliced. Iv got 1 3/8" solid bar for the extension piece and 1 3/4" x .188 DOM for the sleeve.

Any one have any tips on how to keep the axles strait when extending? I'm all ears haha. My plan was to use 1/4" thick angle iron and hose clamps across all the pieces.

I have d35 beams from an explorer and d44 bronco knuckles. I extended my beams 4.5”, so I used the explorer inner axles, cut them, and set the bronco axles where they needed to be to get the extension I needed. I did what you said, using the angle iron, but I used c clamps to hold each piece firmly into the corner of the angle iron. I cut large bevels in each axle piece, so they were just touching at one point. I did a lot of tig passes to fill it in, and I don’t have any noticeable runout with the tools I have to measure (straight edge lol). I can spin my axles easily and don’t see any wobble, but I don’t even have a driveshaft yet, so I can’t tell if I’ll feel anything when using it.

A5FAA41A-D770-42CF-9D9C-8BFEB2B33AF5.jpeg

82545CDC-0C36-40D2-8688-5E02C87BDEE2.jpeg9A54FC06-1B8D-40B3-922F-E9B90695024C.jpegECC1B8C7-70F7-4FD8-94D5-61CF5525D6C8.png750EC36D-BCD1-4BB4-BF0B-0CEBCBE5CBBA.png

Got the axle shafts extended. 2 3/8" passenger axle and 2 1/4" driver axle. 2" beam extensions. The additional length is to compensate for the lower BJ being pulled out. Testing fit the axles with the 3rd bolted up in the beams and everything spins freely from lock to lock. Also test fitted the new tires with the beams welded in place at approximate ride height.

axle extension.jpg
axle extension 2.jpg
35 test fit.jpg
35 test fit 2.jpg

Did you check steering angle before welding those gussets by the lower b-joint?

I saw a vid where the guy did a very similar thing and it hit the knuckle pretty bad.

He had to notch it back out.

Did you buy all the gusset stuff or cut them out?

Back