03' 4Runner V8 - "Pearl" The Prerunner Poser

Do you know of any open whoop sections where I can test my shocks? Trails down here in Maricopa are mostly on the Gila Res and I don't like to trespass at all.
Not down there… I know there’s some out south of lake pleasant! But they are massive, class one buggy’s and trucks used to got out and tune shocks out there.

Do you know of any open whoop sections where I can test my shocks? Trails down here in Maricopa are mostly on the Gila Res and I don't like to trespass at all.
Not down there… I know there’s some out south of lake pleasant! But they are massive, class one buggy’s and truck used to got out and tune shocks out there.

Aww man that sucks!! You gonna try to rebuild of find a new one?
Well, those were supposed to be Nitro axles and gears. I swapped this axle in a few years ago, so I don't know for sure how good the installer was.

I wouldn't think that 4.56s w a 315/70/17 isn't overloading it by any means, but I do beat on it pretty good at times.

Really not sure what to do, besides assessment of the damage.

I feel your pain. Tear into that diff. You'll quickly be able to assess the damage. I got mine put back together just about two weeks ago. Never done any kind of gear, axle work in the past so I learned a lot. Crossing my fingers that my work holds up. Won't know until it blows up again (could be tomorrow, could be 10 years from now). I didn't want to spend that much money on it since my plan is to replace the whole axle with something way more robust.

I feel your pain. Tear into that diff. You'll quickly be able to assess the damage. I got mine put back together just about two weeks ago. Never done any kind of gear, axle work in the past so I learned a lot. Crossing my fingers that my work holds up. Won't know until it blows up again (could be tomorrow, could be 10 years from now). I didn't want to spend that much money on it since my plan is to replace the whole axle with something way more robust.
Yes Sir much respect on that one. I hope 10 years from now we're still talking about your diff and how much abuse it endured lol.
This just may be the time for me to learn and acquire the tools. I've done 90% of the work on this truck myself, excluding the diffs.

Well, those were supposed to be Nitro axles and gears. I swapped this axle in a few years ago, so I don't know for sure how good the installer was.

I wouldn't think that 4.56s w a 315/70/17 isn't overloading it by any means, but I do beat on it pretty good at times.

Really not sure what to do, besides assessment of the damage.
Yeh you wouldn’t think that’s over doing it,

I know nothing of diffs. What are the tea leaves telling the folks who know?
Was this a botched install? Ring gear looks OK. Pinion not so much....
Looks like the ARB took some scoring but it was still working, just puking oil out the solenoid. Good locker but they come with draw backs like everything else.
Edit: I'm also thinking these are a cheap gear set. Serial number looks like Revolution after doing a quick search.

Attachments

• 20240427_171252.jpg
    20240427_171252.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240427_171330.jpg
    20240427_171330.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240427_172709.jpg
    20240427_172709.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I bought the axle with 456s and locker already installed, hoping that it would hold up. That was 4 years ago and lots of abuse, so I'm gonna have to eat this one. Right now I'm just drooling over new housings lol, wishing I had the budget to just go full bullet proof.....

I bought the axle with 456s and locker already installed, hoping that it would hold up. That was 4 years ago and lots of abuse, so I'm gonna have to eat this one. Right now I'm just drooling over new housings lol, wishing I had the budget to just go full bullet proof.....
Oh so it got some use in it before it let loose… but not enough to say it’s reasonable to have blown.
That’s the route I am going is just a new rear end but it’s a large jump in price.

I've killed one like that before to, 4.56s and all. Took 2 off the pinion gear and 4 off the ring gear. I suspect it was from shock loading it over time because when mine blew, it was not under load. If you got 4 years out of it, that probably a good sign you can put off a full housing for a bit but it may still be worth doing.

Sean

I've killed one like that before to, 4.56s and all. Took 2 off the pinion gear and 4 off the ring gear. I suspect it was from shock loading it over time because when mine blew, it was not under load. If you got 4 years out of it, that probably a good sign you can put off a full housing for a bit but it may still be worth doing.

Sean
Yea shock loading off road and on the street. I'd been working in Orlando last month home of THE WORLDS WORST DRIVERS. So I was jumping medians and curbs navigating around traffic backups several times a day, which takes its toll as well.

Back