Local Legend Turtle Truck 2.0

Did you ever find out what broke? Passenger locking hub?
Nope. Haven't pulled it apart yet.

I did put about 600 miles on the truck that week driving it back and forth to Barstow for the Cal 300. Pretty sure it's just the hub but I just haven't had time to pull it apart yet.

I did break the only key off in the ignition while out at the event. Had to drive it around with a screw driver to start it for a day. Took me like 45 min to get it out the other night.

Put some JB weld on here and then mushed it between two pieces of tape. Going to try and get a few copies made today during my lunch.

1666364686820.png

Got a new key made. They made the key too long so it doesn't work on the doors but it works for the ignition. I'll call it a win for right now.

Next on the list is to order a new Hub. I pulled it off the other night and she gone.

1666713815796.png

1666713834250.png

1666713845300.png

Looks like Warn had discontinued the hubs so I've ordered up some Mile Marker hubs. It's a good time to pull the bearings, clean, and repack or replace them.

Next on the list is the Computer again. I ordered a replacement computer online but I think something is wrong with it OR the Security system fried something on it. It'll run fine and not throw a code until it goes into Closed loop. Once that happens it turns itself off but leaves the fuel pump on and running having it make a weird noise.

On the original Computer I tried to replace a few Capacitors. I got one done but the second one I can't get the solder to stick. Maybe I screwed up the board? I'm pretty terrible with a soldering iron haha

1666714101059.png

1666714111937.png

1666714123149.png

I need to get this thing smogged soon... Probably just going to buy another replacement computer and hope that gets me going.

::Some updates::

Last Friday I got some new parts in and went to work after my daughter went to sleep.

I ordered a new Computer (again) and I ordered some Mile Market hubs because Warn stopped production. After pulling apart the broken hub I noticed it was missing some parts that at the time I had assumed were broken into small pieces of metal. Went to my old D35 bin of parts and found what I needed for the Passenger side.

1667404192331.png

1667404204981.png

After spending about 1 hour cleaning up the bearings in gas to get all and any metal out of the bearings, running the hub on the lathe to get the old inner bearing race out (welded in there) installing the new bearings, and a quick nut and bolt. She was ready to rip for Saturday on Halloween weekend in Ocotillo... Or so I thought.

1667404229945.png

1667404242036.png

The next morning I figured I'd better look at the drivers side before heading back out. This turned out to be a wise decision... this side was missing parts as well. It was missing the retaining washer and c clip that holds the axle in place.

I had the C-clip but I did not have the retaining washer. So I found a washer that had the ride OD and went to work on the lathe. Opened up the ID to fit and we were back in business. This took way longer then it should have with a 2 year old trying to help.

So now it was Saturday around 11am. I was finished working on the truck and the kiddo's snacks and cloths were packed for the day.

I figured if the truck didn't make any weird noises or do anything goofy between the 5 min drive to the gas station I'd be good to go.

She ran good, idles now with the new computer and wasn't making any grinding noises or vibrations. We were headed to Ocotillo.

When I was putting the wheel bearings back on the night before I had a slight feeling that I had over tightened the bearing a tad bit... After 10-15 miles or driving I pulled over to feel the hub's on both sides to see if I had. The passenger side was slightly warmer then the drivers but not really hot to the touch so I pressed on.

By the time I got to Ocotillo and was able to drive consistently at about 70 I pulled off one more time before hitting dirt to check out again... The passenger side was FOR SURE hot to the touch.

1667406634133.png

Shit.

Pull out the tools, jacked up the tire and went after readjusting the bearings again. Took about 15 min.

1667406670519.png

1667406683267.png

1667406698136.png

1667406710722.png

About 10 miles in and she fell asleep haha. Pulled over. Put the blanket up to keep the sun off of her and pressed on at about 10 miles an hour.

1667406724211.png

Pulled up just in time to catch the train randomally running on a Saturday.

1667406793310.png

Met up with Chris Isenhour while there. Hung out for a bit while my daughter napped and then turned around and basically went home. Solid FIRST real Desert Trip with my Daughter.

Attachments

• 1667406646198.png
    1667406646198.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
A few nights ago I had bugger welded on some tabs for lights. Luckily I've had these XL pro's in the Garage for about 4 years. Figured they'd work out better if they were on a vehicle. I ended up just wiring them into the factory Fog Lights. There is already a switch in the dash and wiring ran to the front bumper. The only thing I don't really like is that you have to have the headlights on to run them but for ease of install it was way worth it.

1667407422310.png

1667407461874.png

I also had a bag of LED lights from my Camper Build. Luckily they are the same type of lights that were all over the Ranger so I started replacing all of them I could. 3rd brake light and bed lights, License Plate light, Interior & finally the under the hood light.

1667407587128.png

1667407597214.png

Truck update:

Rear end isn't as harsh but still not using most of the travel.
Exhaust fell off.
Had a fun little rip to Ocoitllo without the kiddo to hang out with some friends - @Motiracer38 & @Cleandezert

When I had pulled into Brian's Camp someone drove by letting me know the exhaust had fallen off. I replied with: "is that bad". They didn't laugh or get the joke. I guess most people would be more worried about the situation then myself because I just kept driving around until I found Brian's spot haha.

I whipped out a knife, cut a slit into the rubber that had originally failed and added a hose clamp. May be a forever fix. We'll see.

1667838943421.png
1667839075839.png

Got a new (old) transmission in the truck on Saturday and then drove out to Ocotillo on Sunday! She's back baby!

Some notes on the Transmission swap:

2004 M5OD-R1HD Transmission from an SOHC Motor to 4.0L motor - Basically a Direct swap. Didn't notice any difference in performance from the lower gear ratio's through first and third...

Gear M5OD-R1 | M5OD-R1HD
1st
- 3.72 | 3.40
2nd - 2.20 | 2.05
3rd -1.50 | 1.31
4th - 1.00 | 1.00
5th(OD) - 0.79 | 0.79
Reverse - 3.40 | 3.40

1668463088773.png

There is a sensor on the side of the motor (speed sensor I was told by @the_fablab_ ) that does not plug in. I'm assuming this is a governor of sorts? You can see it in the above picture on the dirty old transmission. It's the sensor with a wire that crosses over the passenger side.
There is an extra bolt hole that is not needed when bolting the Trans back up to a 4.0L Ford Motor
If you don't have the shifter... (like I didn't) then you'll have to modify the Shifter on the M5OD-R1HD to work with the M5OD-R1 shifter. Needs to be cut and re-welded on at 90 degrees.
Why can't you just swap the two shifters? Well because the 2004 shifter is about 1/4" longer that goes into the transmission.

You can see the length of shifter difference in the below pic and difference in the top part of each shifter.
1668463168930.png

Cut and turned 90* and then welded her back in place.

1668463299988.png

I was going to do the 'right' thing and replace the clutch and pressure plate while I was already there but when I went to Autozone and inspected a new clutch this one seemed like it had plenty of life left in it haha.

I've already thrown too much money at this turd and really have no plans to drive it hard. Just a fun truck to go out and check out off beat trails!

1668463918403.png

Does anyone know the best way to install a kids car seat into the back of a stock interior Extra Cab Ranger?

Going to scour the interwebs but I'd like to install the seat in the middle and have it secure for off-road purposes of course.

Does anyone know the best way to install a kids car seat into the back of a stock interior Extra Cab Ranger?

Going to scour the interwebs but I'd like to install the seat in the middle and have it secure for off-road purposes of course.
Sounds ghetto but I use ratchet straps for my kids in the back of the explorer and Jeep. I use eye bolts through the body with big washers on the back side. Obviously not harbor freight ratchet straps I got the husky ones from home depot, only the best for my kidos!

Sounds ghetto but I use ratchet straps for my kids in the back of the explorer and Jeep. I use eye bolts through the body with big washers on the back side. Obviously not harbor freight ratchet straps I got the husky ones from home depot, only the best for my kidos!
May have to give something like that a shot.

But first I now need to figure out why my fuel pump wont turn on...

Went out to move the truck onto the driveway and she'd crank over fine but no fuel pump. Started with the normal procedure of swapping around relays and still nothing. Got the multimeter out and everything seemed to have 12 volts but when I checked the inertia switch wires the incoming hot only had 6 volts.

I'm hoping it's just a bad ground. Any input would be appreciated.

Found some solid info on another forum... Reason I love Forums.

I guess the inertia switch should only be getting between 5-8 volts after the fuel pump primes so that checks out. Going to do another test when I get home to verify it's getting 12 volts in the first 2 seconds. Probably going to plan to pull the bed when I get home as well to check the fuel pump itself because the filler neck needs to be replaced as well.

I probably went through 4 fuel pump relays in the time I had the Ranger. I’m almost 100% sure that’s your issue. Buy 2 lifetime warranty ones from Oreily and never look back.

Edit: Ope, overlooked that you’ve checked it.

take a rubber mallet and hit the bottom of the tank right where the pump is located. no light sissy hits.

if it works after that, she gunna need a pump. older fords and chevys were common for that

Ended up pulling the bed so I could get to the pump and sending unit.

Checked the wiring and was for sure getting 12v to the pump but it no worky. Hit the pump a few time times with my hand to see if I could get it dislodged or whatever. Still no worky.

Luckily I have a lifetime warranty on these pumps from the original ranger. Just need to call around today to figure out which store I purchased it through.

The bed needed to come off regardless because the fuel hose was bad. Luckily the last time I was at Brian's checking out my other truck I pulled this one from its gas tank.

1668612854343.png

1668612874452.png

It's nice to be able to rob relatively new parts from the old ranger that I'm not planning on using for the rebuild.

Update -

Fuel pump was the issue and she was a runner for Thanksgiving! Only issue was a broken exhaust mount which I basically had shown up with.

Carlos had some bailing wire already in his truck because that's how you fix exhaust... Fixed her up with a couple of wraps and she was good to go.

1670266212889.png

Mikey decided to take her for a rip when we went out for a MTB run in Ridgecrest.

1670266227560.png

Let's just say he was a fan!

1670266260430.png

Now it's time to really make this a Prelander with a GFC Tent!

I didn't have any metal at the house on Sunday to really do much else than measure. My wife went out and picked it up this morning (Monday) for me at IMS. What a trooper.

Going to try and fab up something that is relatively strong with tubing that that is probably overkill. The additional weight can only help the rear springs at this point and I'd really like to not see this fancy tent fly off haha.

1670266303013.png

Back