1969 bronco

I didn't have much time to work on it today but I did get some rust repair done that I have been putting off since I cut it apart. so now I can overlay the last bit of the frame. I'm hoping to find some time tomorrow but if not maybe after work this week.20231007_171458.jpg20231007_171508.jpg

so what's everyone's opinion on what would be stronger. I think both would work just fine. one would match the front a little better but I care more about whatever is going to work better in the long run
style A
20170720_141551_17EC0E32-B1D8-4A41-B095-C1C3D78F4434.PNG
or style b20181108_194440_D3DB07C5-2E9C-4D74-B1FB-D0FCF8DB2270.PNG

Is one going to be easier to service the shocks than another? Doesn’t look like it. At which point make it aesthetically pleasing to match the styling of the front?
yeah the tube style will match the front better for sure

I've never liked the look of the big plate towers and how they block all access to the engine behind it, but it probably makes more sense in the rear so you have more interior space. Getting the tubes to stay on the frame has also been a challenge of mine, lol.

I like style A if it's for the rear. Seems like it'll be easier to close up the cab if it has to push through the body at all.

I put the shocks on the links to start figuring out the mounts. looks like the all plate style will be the way to go. the shock ends up right behind the driver seat so there is no room for a tube.

My cheapo little bandsaw has made my 'plate cutting experience' so much better.... I ONLY use the cut off wheel now when I have to.

well it took longer then I thought but the big ugly shock mounts are done. ran Into a issue though. since the are so tall, it's trying to twist the frame. I'm hoping me tying them back into the 2in b pillar will fix that issue. I have (3) 1/2 bugs welded into the top for that. not sure if i should go towards the center on the vehicle with the tie in or to the outside. one woukd put the tubes under compression and the other tension20231029_163121.jpg

Whichever tube you can get that would be the most perpendicular to the shock mount would (theoretically) be the best. Your shock is pushing mainly upwards, with a bit of the force going inwards towards the center of the truck. That bit of inward force x the length of the shock tower is going to be equal to the torque that's being applied to the frame rail. If you can have a force (compression or tension) that is as perpendicular to the shock towers as possible, that would be best. The force the shocks are applying perpendicularly to the tower isn't greater than the max force a tube can apply in either tension or compression, so I don't think that's something I'd be worried about. I think the tube going into the center would be better for cancelling out forces as a whole, but running a tube from the top of the tower towards the outside of the vehicle would work just as well.

Awesome project. Early broncos are such cool rigs. This thread makes me wish I hadn't given up on a couple stalled out projects last year. If I gave it a couple more years maybe I would have gotten them done!

How is it trying to 'twist' the frame? Is it just from welding or is it when you put the shocks on it and they are under load?

Back