06 Ranger 4x4 Clown Truck

Haven't replaced the spindles cause dgaf and I got other people's stuff to work on...but this truck has been putting in work, fits in tight places alot better than the dually....those F31's really appreciate my chipper, almost as much as 5r55e that overheats if you even look at it wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_180913931_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230717_180913931_HDR.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 57
This is a MTB forum too right? Since my kid has picked up the itch I think I gotta pick something up to chase him....his bike is a Cleary 20" 3 speed, fuckers trick....so what would be a decent entry level bike for dad? It's hilly as fawk where I live but we'll mostly be playing at the schools or pump track

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_090953679.jpg
    IMG_20230729_090953679.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230729_090236051_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230729_090236051_HDR.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230725_122209854_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_122209854_HDR.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 8
Haven't drove this thing in a few weeks, actually had it parked in a nice shady spot in an attempt to give it a break and show some love....went to start it, nope, battery dead. Shitbox china alarm drains it every time, jump start with trusty 273k mile crown vic and all is well, move that out the way and jump in the ranger just to take a less than 10 mile round trip....get 2 miles down the road and O/D light is blinking but driving ok, yes fluid is good and in the marks....on the way home it's the same thing but then it loses overdrive and revs to the moon if I don't click it out of O/D....I still have all other gears but holy hell this thing bangs into gear from park or switching from Reverse to Drive.

So, if I fix it this will be tranny number 3. I have researched manual swaps but finding a donor is harder than you think.

I'm thinking of buying a 99-01 explorer 5.0 and doing the swap, it seems pretty plug n play all I would need to do is get an adapter to run my current trans case and figure out the speedometer...and smog but dgaf I'll figure that out later....all I know is I absolutely hate 5r55e tranny's, I have had 2 trucks with one and they both anhililated them.

In hindsight using it to tow my commercial woodchipper wasn't my best idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_214020625.jpg
    IMG_20230730_214020625.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 31
5r55e’s are the worst. See if you can find the c4 adapter plate for the 4.0. They aren’t made anymore but every now and then they pop up for sale.

Unpopular opinion: The truck will be slower with a 5.0

C4 s are super strong but damn not having over drive suuuucks.
You could put a gearvendors tailhousing on it but then you’re like 8k in a trans.
They make adapters to run a 4l80 behind a 4.0 but that’ll make the truck feel super slow cuz it robs a ton of power.

Chris with the charly brown ranger has had good luck and many miles with his built 5r55e
Maybe pick his brain on it??

Unpopular opinion: The truck will be slower with a 5.0

C4 s are super strong but damn not having over drive suuuucks.
You could put a gearvendors tailhousing on it but then you’re like 8k in a trans.
They make adapters to run a 4l80 behind a 4.0 but that’ll make the truck feel super slow cuz it robs a ton of power.

Chris with the charly brown ranger has had good luck and many miles with his built 5r55e
Maybe pick his brain on it??
I believe it's a 4R70W in the 99-01 which is what I am looking for, that's the main reason I wanna do a transplant, it robs a little less power than the C4/C6...plus this is a direct and easy swap...the 5R55e is just plain trash, I have gone through 5 of them now in 2 separate trucks.

The 5.0 is probably slower stock but the 4.0 sohc with its rediculous timing chain arrangement really bugs me, I have also always hated the power delivery ...might be a placebo affect but I liked the OHV more, but I am dumb as fuck. I would cam the 5.0 and throw some headers on it, IIRC hxckidd got like 220 to the wheels through a C4 and 5.0 with e303 cam, I rode in that truck and it ripped.

This is a MTB forum too right? Since my kid has picked up the itch I think I gotta pick something up to chase him....his bike is a Cleary 20" 3 speed, fuckers trick....so what would be a decent entry level bike for dad? It's hilly as fawk where I live but we'll mostly be playing at the schools or pump track
right on dude! what are you thinking for a budget? I always suggest people getting a cheap hardtail... kinda get your feet wet and make sure you dig it before you drop thousands on a bike.... I know @theycallmeWALLY had a bike he was trying to unload?

right on dude! what are you thinking for a budget? I always suggest people getting a cheap hardtail... kinda get your feet wet and make sure you dig it before you drop thousands on a bike.... I know @theycallmeWALLY had a bike he was trying to unload?
I def want a hard tail, I already have some "balance issues" on my left side from a neck injury, I dunno why but I found that full suspension bikes make it worse for me...or I am just more comfy on a hard tail.

I have ridden pump tracks and downhill stuff in an extremely amateur level but I def like it

Budget I was thinking a grand or so, I dunno? I paid 550 for my kids bike so I figure it's gunna be minimum double for something decent

I def want a hard tail, I already have some "balance issues" on my left side from a neck injury, I dunno why but I found that full suspension bikes make it worse for me...or I am just more comfy on a hard tail.

I have ridden pump tracks and downhill stuff in an extremely amateur level but I def like it

Budget I was thinking a grand or so, I dunno? I paid 550 for my kids bike so I figure it's gunna be minimum double for something decent
https://www.commencal.com/us/en/commencal-meta-ht-am-origin-green/22METAHTAMO.html One of these would be pretty sweet add a dropper post and you be pretty money

on the way home it's the same thing but then it loses overdrive and revs to the moon if I don't click it out of O/D....I still have all other gears but holy hell this thing bangs into gear from park or switching from Reverse to Drive.
Idk if you've fixed the trans yet or not but pretty sure your overdrive servo shit the bed. You've most likely lost 2nd as well but it is hard to notice. https://www.fordservoboretransmissi...Trac_-_Not_for_6R66_6_Speed_Transmission.html

Slowly getting back to where I was 5-6 years ago after some "life" happened. Anyways, I picked up this cabover camper for my 7.3 dually, everything works,ready to go, only thing I did was extend the jacks out with some 2x2 and proper shanked hardware, the foldout units make me nervous...next is a super hitch with extension and a car trailer once I get back to work after some health issues in the past year......excited to get back out in the dirt like the good days with all you guys.

The superhitch worked great with the same truck (just a lifted 2000 instead of this '02) a bigger camper, heavy equipment trailer, and a ranger on it....so since I know what works I am sticking with it.

The ranger is still on jackstands under the carport, one of these days I will get it out of hover mode once I get some freetime with all my other projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20231211_130441191_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231211_130441191_HDR.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20231211_131416614_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231211_131416614_HDR.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 17
Slick setup. Have you towed the Ranger with the camper shell on it yet? This is the setup I eventually want to move to.
I had this exact same setup before (camper was slightly bigger and on a lifted 2000 7.3 dually) it did great besides being slow as fuck on hills...this truck has 146 and is all stock besides a turbo back, my other had 111 and same thing....the ranger was a linked/caged, no idea what it weighed (probably 5-6?) ...the car trailer was a 14k rated equipment trailer that weighed 2100.

I will find a pic later

I am basically doing the exact same setup with a slightly smaller camper, slightly lighter truck, (hopefully lighter trailer), and almost same tow pig with stock tires instead of Toyo 35's.

It worked. Just slow, braking was good.

I plan on selling my 5th wheel toy hauler. The plan was to get a SxS with the toy hauler but I changed my mind on the whole SxS route.

The wife isn't going to be happy with selling the Tajma Hal setup we have now but I don't think she would be happy riding around in a SxS either. She'll be happier sitting inside a closed cab, with heat/AC and not having to deal with the wind or cold. Compromises have to be made. Also, I hate towing that huge bitch around just so I have somewhere to sleep.

I plan on selling my 5th wheel toy hauler. The plan was to get a SxS with the toy hauler but I changed my mind on the whole SxS route.

The wife isn't going to be happy with selling the Tajma Hal setup we have now but I don't think she would be happy riding around in a SxS either. She'll be happier sitting inside a closed cab, with heat/AC and not having to deal with the wind or cold. Compromises have to be made. Also, I hate towing that huge bitch around just so I have somewhere to sleep.
The whole reason I got into cabovers was cause before I had a 24' Hallmark enclosed race-trailer and would put my other rangers in it with a 450 quad, I towed that with a MaxTow F150 and it did great, slow and right on the edge of capabilities, but great....we would run a Genny, throw down air mattresses, watch tv, run the AC, lights, blender, microwave, etc.

I quickly realized that enclosed trailers have their handicaps with trucks like:
Width, I had to put stockers on everytime, and that was just rangers, trying to fit a full size truck in a toyhauler or enclosed you can basically forget about it.

Weight: Toyhaulers or enclosed with a truck in them can get pretty heavy.

Insurance, registration, storage if you don't have room, etc.

Another variable to consider is if you don't have a winch in your enclosed/toyhauler and manage to break or crash then getting it back in the trailer can be a bitch.

In my opinion if you wanna trailer your truck and have decent living quarters then the cabover with a trailer is the ticket...but you have one more option, find a big enough RV that will legally tow a loaded car trailer, most of the smaller ones/midrange units aren't rated for it...plus, you gotta register it, insure it, store it.

Oh, and side by sides are stupid, very fun, but stupid.

This was the old setup back in the day, I think this was the dezertrangers trip to Pismo in like 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_20160615_135611377_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160615_135611377_HDR.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160614_054103441_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160614_054103441_HDR.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 13
Did you ever use a weight distribution hitch with your super hitch extension?

Back