06 Ranger 4x4 Clown Truck

There’s a Culhane C4 on RDC right now. Has all the cool shit for a SOHC 4.0 $3K
Talked to him about this previously, will not work with the factory t case...there is no option for the 5r55e in a 4wd application

Unless you wanna basically redo the whole truck...nope

I also somehow managed to lose the throttle pedal on my dually, o/d switch wire chaffed against the column, blew the fuse out in the woods, took no tools like an idiot, replaced it 4 or 5 times just to get home...made it, then the next day before I could repair it, it blew that fuse again then another one. My fault I was trying to get a trailer out of the backyard, should of repaired the wire first...Fixed the short, replaced fuses. Still dead. So.....all my daily's are down and I am driving a bow-tie.

Last edited:
Talked to him about this previously, will not work with the factory t case...there is no option for the 5r55e in a 4wd application

Unless you wanna basically redo the whole truck...nope

I also somehow managed to lose the throttle pedal on my dually, o/d switch wire chaffed against the column, blew the fuse out in the woods, took no tools like an idiot, replaced it 4 or 5 times just to get home...made it, then the next day before I could repair it, it blew that fuse again then another one. My fault I was trying to get a trailer out of the backyard, should of repaired the wire first...Fixed the short, replaced fuses. Still dead. So.....all my daily's are down and I am driving a bow-tie.

Kyle's house is the place vehicles go to die :(

I'll install this in like 3 years then lose a 36 cent bolt to finish it and sell the truck.

Attachments

• 1006221645.jpg
    1006221645.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 23
Running, seems to be ok....felt a little sluggish or maybe I just forgot how slow it was, or maybe it's the air filter packed with a couple hundred miles of dirt and no idea how much crap is in the fuel filter/how old it is,or the 4 month old 87 NV gas cause that's all I could get out there in BFE, gunna start there with the simple stuff....but its driving again, no leaks, shifts, etc... so that's a win.

Also.....if you need a redneck trans jack and work on everything solo (without a trans jack of course) the two ratchet strap method mixed with a floor jack works really well and removes the whole "squashing your head or smashing your hand avenue"...

Attachments

• 1012221630.jpg
    1012221630.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1010221318.jpg
    1010221318.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 18
Drove my kid to Kindergarten this morning, soccer mom's look at this thing like WTF is that, why aren't you in a new luxury SUV, and all the kids smile and point at it when they see it, so mission accomplished...that being said, I have some issues to look at.

The rearend (Currie 9" 35 spline, 4.88's with a detroit) seems to have about a 1/4 turn of play in either direction and clunks hard leaving from a stop if it's unloaded. There is no pinion play up/down,side to side, or in/out, and it doesn't make any whining noise at speed....guessing I need to drop the 3rd and look at it. The Detroit is doing its normal noisy clicking sounds while turning....I have done plenty of 8.8's, 10/12 bolts but never messed with setting up a dropout 3rd besides replacing them.

Anybody got an idea of what I am up against or is it just time to rip into it?

Oh....and a pic because everybody loves pics...we have all the roofracks. Sick bro.

Attachments

• 1013220922a.jpg
    1013220922a.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 19
The rearend (Currie 9" 35 spline, 4.88's with a detroit) seems to have about a 1/4 turn of play in either direction and clunks hard leaving from a stop if it's unloaded. There is no pinion play up/down,side to side, or in/out, and it doesn't make any whining noise at speed....guessing I need to drop the 3rd and look at it. The Detroit is doing its normal noisy clicking sounds while turning....I have done plenty of 8.8's, 10/12 bolts but never messed with setting up a dropout 3rd besides replacing them.

Anybody got an idea of what I am up against or is it just time to rip into it?

Sounds like the same thing my toyota 8" with a detroit locker does. Lots of slop/play. Been like that for years and many Many MANY thousands of miles w/o a problem. Loud clunks and "pops" leaving from a stop, clicking around turns and corners, its all the things that led me to hate the detroit.

I am starting to hate the Detroit, not just for driveability but the fact that the 5r55e can not take the sudden "jarring" it provides and probably lead to its early demise. I pulled the driveshaft, no substantial play at the t case, no play in the u-joints, pulled the axles, both look great and bearings feel great, pulled the 3rd, inspected everything no broken gears, no damage, then did it again, wear pattern is solid on coast and drive side, no side to side to play in the ring or pinion, no slop really anywhere besides the expected, no chunks in the housing, but lots of metallic goo stuck to the magnetic drainplug... it's all looks good, has to be the detroit, it could be broken or worn out I suppose....I am gunna pull the carrier out tomorrow and see if the Detroit has broken dogs or something......basically, if I had a spool here right now I would just install it.

Attachments

• 1014221823.jpg
    1014221823.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1014221923.jpg
    1014221923.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1014221929.jpg
    1014221929.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 12
My diagnosis is to quit being a little bitch and go full spool
I tried finding one locally...no go, time was tight....I have to drive this thing to the city of fags and needles on the sidewalk this week which I am not pumped about, the owner of the GMC is coming home and he's getting that thing back so I put it all back together, dropped a testicle lifting the 3rd into place, and test drove it, she's better with new fluid but still not confidence inspiring....hopefully it lasts long enough with freeway driving until I can get my new work truck and find a solution.

Running, seems to be ok....felt a little sluggish or maybe I just forgot how slow it was, or maybe it's the air filter packed with a couple hundred miles of dirt and no idea how much crap is in the fuel filter/how old it is,or the 4 month old 87 NV gas cause that's all I could get out there in BFE, gunna start there with the simple stuff....but its driving again, no leaks, shifts, etc... so that's a win.

Also.....if you need a redneck trans jack and work on everything solo (without a trans jack of course) the two ratchet strap method mixed with a floor jack works really well and removes the whole "squashing your head or smashing your hand avenue"...
I've always just laid under the truck. Finagle that hunk of metal on your chest, somehow get the back half of it under your knee's and hope your arms are strong enough to get it in there haha.

I am starting to hate the Detroit, not just for driveability but the fact that the 5r55e can not take the sudden "jarring" it provides and probably lead to its early demise. I pulled the driveshaft, no substantial play at the t case, no play in the u-joints, pulled the axles, both look great and bearings feel great, pulled the 3rd, inspected everything no broken gears, no damage, then did it again, wear pattern is solid on coast and drive side, no side to side to play in the ring or pinion, no slop really anywhere besides the expected, no chunks in the housing, but lots of metallic goo stuck to the magnetic drainplug... it's all looks good, has to be the detroit, it could be broken or worn out I suppose....I am gunna pull the carrier out tomorrow and see if the Detroit has broken dogs or something......basically, if I had a spool here right now I would just install it.
My truck did this before the Detroit blew itself up. I think the Springs in it are the issue but I had to just buy a new one before I could figure it out.

My new Detroit is smooth, hardly does any weird clunks when driving and is actually very street friendly and always locked up offroad.

On a side note - If that is the original 3rd that was in it when Eddie had it... it's not a Detroit. It's something like a Detroit that he bought from a circle track car...

Yeah I asked him about that a week ago or so, he said it's a circle track deal too...I guess it's a non conventional Detroit, keeps the left side locked in and basically regulates/locks the right....I'm over it, put about 300 miles on it everyday last week and it runs fine.

Well...been commuting it about 300 miles a day which is super fun....noticed yesterday it was leaking fluid out of the left front and right front.....rack failed/leaking on drivers side and axle seal on the other.

Racks in these are super dooper fun and not even mildly frustrating but with the dixon kit there's no inner tie rods that get messed with so that eliminated a driveway alignment, she drives pretty straight and steering is tight again, good enough....so now at this point I have replaced the two things I was worried about, the trans and the rack....gunna mount the old used rack in the truck since it still worked and will get me off the trail if needed. The vent hose came off the diff and the little nipple was clogged, guessing it pushed oil out the seal instead....unclogged it, cleaned everything, drove it, not leaking anymore, good enough.

Decided to do a 5 million dollar Mobil1 oil change, fuel filter, clean the air filter/MAFS and pickup new rear u-joints which I will do soon....at this point the only fluid left to change is coolant and front diff. She got alot of power back, the fuel filter was dirty as balls and the air filter had half of the black rock desert still in it.

Super long boring story but she does 75-80 all day on my commutes and I get all kinds of thumbs up and smiles so that's kinda cool...plus hopefully the Generals wear out and I will have an excuse to put a real wheel/tire combo on her.

Would like to do another trip soon

Attachments

• 1030221736_HDR.jpg
    1030221736_HDR.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 10
Well...been commuting it about 300 miles a day which is super fun....noticed yesterday it was leaking fluid out of the left front and right front.....rack failed/leaking on drivers side and axle seal on the other.

Racks in these are super dooper fun and not even mildly frustrating but with the dixon kit there's no inner tie rods that get messed with so that eliminated a driveway alignment, she drives pretty straight and steering is tight again, good enough....so now at this point I have replaced the two things I was worried about, the trans and the rack....gunna mount the old used rack in the truck since it still worked and will get me off the trail if needed. The vent hose came off the diff and the little nipple was clogged, guessing it pushed oil out the seal instead....unclogged it, cleaned everything, drove it, not leaking anymore, good enough.

Decided to do a 5 million dollar Mobil1 oil change, fuel filter, clean the air filter/MAFS and pickup new rear u-joints which I will do soon....at this point the only fluid left to change is coolant and front diff. She got alot of power back, the fuel filter was dirty as balls and the air filter had half of the black rock desert still in it.

Super long boring story but she does 75-80 all day on my commutes and I get all kinds of thumbs up and smiles so that's kinda cool...plus hopefully the Generals wear out and I will have an excuse to put a real wheel/tire combo on her.

Would like to do another trip soon
Rad dude.

Can't wait to see that truck out in the desert again! We'll be out in Cal City area for Thanksgiving again in a few weeks...

Would be fun to get something going up North at some point.

they all do this. pretty normal. if you want reliability and performance, get a spool and never look back. has less moving parts and better tracktion, more drivability. my spool is 25 years old and still works like new....
i have daily driven my truck many years at times and drive it to and from events like preruning baja for years.

yea, it wears tires faster but thats the prerunner life.

i agree with what you say about the sohc motor. its better then what i had but not where i need to be.

they all do this. pretty normal. if you want reliability and performance, get a spool and never look back. has less moving parts and better tracktion, more drivability. my spool is 25 years old and still works like new....
i have daily driven my truck many years at times and drive it to and from events like preruning baja for years.

i agree with what you say about the sohc motor. its better then what i had but not where i need to be.
Which is why Mr. Charlie Brown is a legend... how have you had the same spool for 25 years! haha.

I really do like my Detroit but you have some valid points.

Same scenario. My spool lived in a friends truck for 4-5 years and 7 years in mine.

Back