Who has run 12" coilover and 14" bypass on a linked truck?

philofab

Who has run 12" coilover and 14" bypass on the rear of a linked truck? Any issues? I can't think of anyone who has but I also can't think of any problems except less rear travel than other setups. Probably somewhere around 22"-25" depending on link geometry.

All I have experience with is 14"/16" and 16"/18" but packaging prevents that.

Isn’t 12/14 the typical mezzanine/hemet arm setup?

Otherwise, should be fine, just less travel with comparable shock mount locations.

Thanks, someone was telling me a 12" coil carrier created issues with getting the correct spring rates but I couldn't wrap my head around it. After thinking about it I may just run a 14" coil carrier with a 14" bypass and make a internal spacer to shorten the travel.

someone was telling me a 12" coil carrier created issues with getting the correct spring rates but I couldn't wrap my head around it.
I guess that could be a problem if you needed a stiff spring rate on a shorter shock?

Stiffer springs are thicker in diameter, so maybe there would not be enough room on a fully compressed 12" shock to fit a fully compressed spring of the required rate?

And I guess trailing arms have more leverage on the shock so you'd need a stiffer spring rate than an axle mounted coilover?

That's all I got.

we have a few customers running a 12/14 combo no real issues are present if everything is designed properly in some cases a non traditional spring set up is needed to prevent coil bind, but nothing you wouldn't see with a cantilever design

If you remember that old school “blinger” ranger it’s got 12/14 on the rear. Pulls around 23” I think. My buddy owns it now

Total spring lengths and spring travel can be an issue on a link setup yes.

We just linked a single cab Superduty with a single 12 inch coilover and I wish we would have ordered a 14 inch coilover with a longer shaft spacer inside destroking it to 12 inch travel.

Having extra body length for spring options, etc., is very beneficial. have you considered doing a 14/14 setup and limited the stroke on the coilover so you can take on and off the truck easier?

Fablab: I'm pretty set on a 14/14 combo now. I'm going to model it in cad and see what I end up for motion ratios and packaging.

Back