Truck Weight

FENDERFAB

Hey guys,

Wanted to get some opinions on this.

my truck is pretty heavy and i have been thinking about doing some revisions to put the truck on a diet per say. As we all know its a game between power and weight. Currently i have a mildly built 6.0 LS motor, btr stage 4 cam, injectors, 102 mm tb etc. It made 321 to the tires through a th400 and 9".

I currently carry a spare driveshaft, 2 40" spare tires, floor jack, 2 fluid containers, cooler etc with a swing up trunk on an actuator. I have a mid mounted 32 gallon cell and trans cooler.

Most of my trips/runs i stay fairly close to camp (within 15 miles) usually going to glamis etc. I am considering cutting off the rear back half and making a simpler structure with one spare tire and moving the cell to the back of the truck. This would leave me with a storage box by the cab where i can load gear (jack and spares etc) if needed going on a big run.

I feel like i could easily shed 500lbs off the truck and wanted some insight.

Other option would be leave it and keep it well loaded and add more power, Im not opposed to building my motor more but i do like the simplicity and reliability of my setup at this time.

3899AA58-8F28-40B1-B87F-6C6C948D50EE.JPG

Have you weighed it?

I still need to weigh G4. I have weighed a couple that are more simple like you described moving to. I want to say 4,500lbs but would need to check notes

Have you weighed it?

I still need to weigh G4. I have weighed a couple that are more simple like you described moving to. I want to say 4,500lbs but would need to check notes
i have not! where can i get it weighed at?

I will not copy marcels truck but this is similar to the style i was thinking.
marcels truck .jpg

Another idea i had was leave the cell mid mounted and install the spare tire below the bedline in the backhalf of the truck. Then paneling in the top of the bed and create a functioning tailgate assembly to access storage. Similar to a sand truck style.

s727078908517165717_p579_i6_w1200.jpeg

Heavy. Lol.
7900 lbs full of diesel and tools. Front 4600lbs, 3300lbs rear. 42 gal cell in the very front of the bed, 40" spare, jack, etc. Not sure what it does power wise, but ide bet somewhere around 350/600 tire. It's not winning any hole shots, but it will sit at 80mph all day and still gets 10mpg+ in the dirt.

Attachments

• 20240106_112712.jpg
    20240106_112712.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 7
you can thank me by showing numbers! hahah. Make sure it is full of fuel, etc. (#'s above were full weight, with my fat ass subtracted)

Thank you guys! Definitely something to keep in mind that i need to consider. I weighed my wheels/tires the other night. My racelines with the 40s are 128lbs each.

my sand setup with Old ultra cast beadlocks and 36" STU Blasters is 88lbs.

I don’t think I’d go through all the work to rebuild the backhalf to safe weight unless you have some ambitious goals for the truck.
Mine with 35s, single spare, v6 5spd etc is 3,880lbs for reference

My Toyota has dual tensor 37” spares, 32 gal cell and two batteries behind the axle, rear mounted winch, spare driveshaft, spare starter and alternator.

Rear weight bias is 60%
Total weight: 3995

I would 100% NOT redo a back half and go thru the colossal time suck and bank account drain for a slightly lighter backhalf

Last edited:
I would get it weighed and find the bias! It wouldn’t be too hard to re do the rear bumper area if you wanted to switch to 1 spare to save yourself 130 lbs. Mount the driveshaft to your trailer instead of your truck, if you have a big Jack just put a smaller floor jack on the truck.

Cooler is important that stays.

For reference, my ranger is 4020 full of fuel

I agree Marcy! Im thinking revise bumper, mount driveshaft to trailer and go down to 1 spare. Cooler is most important!

I have found a scale near me that can weigh the truck, want to figure out how i can find the bias. I would love to find someone that owns a set of scales that i can pay to weigh the truck and find the weight per corner so i can adjust accordingly

I agree Marcy! Im thinking revise bumper, mount driveshaft to trailer and go down to 1 spare. Cooler is most important!

I have found a scale near me that can weigh the truck, want to figure out how i can find the bias. I would love to find someone that owns a set of scales that i can pay to weigh the truck and find the weight per corner so i can adjust accordingly
Check for CAT scales at any local truck stops. They did front and rear weights for me for 12 bucks.

Back