Rear or mid fuel cells?

A lot of people I see with mid cell and a big trunk in the back never use the trunk for anything notable because there’s almost too much room for stuff to fly around. The rear storage boxes we did on my truck give me the same exact amount of space as if I had a rear trunk but they’re divided and should be easier to keep stuff compact in Imo. Maybe not a huge tank like a 30 gallon rear mounted with storage on top would be a middle ground

A lot of people I see with mid cell and a big trunk in the back never use the trunk for anything notable because there’s almost too much room for stuff to fly around. The rear storage boxes we did on my truck give me the same exact amount of space as if I had a rear trunk but they’re divided and should be easier to keep stuff compact in Imo. Maybe not a huge tank like a 30 gallon rear mounted with storage on top would be a middle ground
That’s a very valid point. I have quite a bit of storage with my rear cell. 2 small action packers against the cab with spare fluids and spare alternator, ps pump, fuel pump, wheel bearings, coil, plugs, etc.
then a tray for 2 big action packers directly over the axle. One gets packed with clothes, jackets etc and the other gets a soft cooler for food/drinks.

With Milwaukee packout boxes avaialble, there is no reason why people can't easily secure stuff down in a trunk space IMO

Yeah I used action packers and held them into their spots with a small bracket on each side to keep from sliding sideways then a single strap holding them down. Then tool bags and boxes in same way. Thin sheet metal "tray" with a strap on top. Securing tools and bags in a large storage area isn't difficult if you're not lazy and do it from the get go for dedicated holders in dedicated spots. I had 2 action packers mounted with nothing in them so I could fill as i see needed during trips.

Rear mounted cell will always be my vote. With the correct shock package, weight, and setup you can do amazing things to the ride quality of a truck! We went with a 70 gallon cell on our truck, from 3/4 full to empty the truck feels drives very similar, however the more fuel I carry the "smoother" the truck feels in the rear.

Ive always bounced the idea around to mount the fuel cell in the rear, and the spare tire (just 1 for my setup) as far forward as I could get it, even if that means finagling it between the down tubes coming off the cab. Then run some kind of storage/trunk for tools and as much gear as I could fit, with an upper area to strap a cooler (that shits going to get "SHOOK"!) and whatnot to. Not a conventional setup by any means, but I wouldnt be building a race truck either. I mean, how often are we accessing our spare tires? In all my years of doing this stuff, Ive only ever changed my tire 3 times - other than that, its always in the damn way to access other stuff (which is 99% of the time).
at the rate you use your truck, you got a flat on each trip you have been on in the last 15 years.
BURN.....

I have had mid mount cell with lots of storage and rear mount fuel cell. I believe both have their place. For optimum performance a rear mount cell is a must. I will probably never build a truck with a mid mount cell. On my current f150 I have a 70 gallon rear cell with plenty of room for a storage box that can hold a decent amount of stuff. I haven't had time to build the storage but soon. Fuel cell placement depends on the build.

Race truck/ I like to go fast/ full tilt boogy- rear mount cell.

Pretender/ overland / point to point. Mid mount cell with lots of storage. Probably good and will work just fine.

Back