Smoke 'em if you've got 'em

a few years ago at KOH a buddy from the PNW made some apple spice thing in his dutch oven, been wanting to try it and this weekend was the time. slight miscommunication with the procurement dept and i ended up with fresh apples instead of canned apples. (note for the readers, another buddy couldnt find apple so he used peaches and got solid reviews) i tossed some butter in there but i think the liquid in the canned apples is needed to keep things MOIST as the cake was super dry. it was overcooked from time and too many coals on top, but it was edible so it was a win. i tried cooking brownies many years ago and that was a FAIL, cooking with coals and fire is such an art.

2 cans of apples
1 sprite
1 spiced cake mix

prehead the oven, slather some butter on stuff, dump in apple, sprinkle in cinnamon, dump in spice cake, dump in sprite, mix it up and let it ride.

1660577474679.png

1660577498332.png

1660577522109.png

a few years ago at KOH a buddy from the PNW made some apple spice thing in his dutch oven, been wanting to try it and this weekend was the time. slight miscommunication with the procurement dept and i ended up with fresh apples instead of canned apples. (note for the readers, another buddy couldnt find apple so he used peaches and got solid reviews) i tossed some butter in there but i think the liquid in the canned apples is needed to keep things MOIST as the cake was super dry. it was overcooked from time and too many coals on top, but it was edible so it was a win. i tried cooking brownies many years ago and that was a FAIL, cooking with coals and fire is such an art.

2 cans of apples
1 sprite
1 spiced cake mix

prehead the oven, slather some butter on stuff, dump in apple, sprinkle in cinnamon, dump in spice cake, dump in sprite, mix it up and let it ride.

View attachment 3605

View attachment 3606

View attachment 3607

so it was a hair on the dry side? But still edible?

I always forget about the dutch oven. I've only made chili in mine.

so it was a hair on the dry side? But still edible?

I always forget about the dutch oven. I've only made chili in mine.

yea still edible. son mowed through his and was eying his sisters. the girl werent a huge fan of the apples and didnt eat much (they like chocolate like their mother), wife said it was ok but dry. i picked all the apples out the bottom before washing it.

solid potential with some fine tuning.

buddy sent me a recipe for a mud cake thats been a crowd favorite, i want to try pudding cake and if i can ever get up early enough try coffee cake or some sort of popnfresh cinnamonroll/sticky bread casserole.

Not Smoked but this Chicken recipe is bomb.com... I've done it 3 times now and it's super tender. For sure go with marinating for 24 hours.

So who's got a good brisket smoking how to. I love some good smoked brisket and got a small green mountain grill davy crockett smoker I'd love to do it.

So who's got a good brisket smoking how to. I love some good smoked brisket and got a small green mountain grill davy crockett smoker I'd love to do it.

prepare yourself for a long cook. If you are doing for an event or party... start way earlier than you think... the stall is real... You don't wanna be at 185 and have a bunch of hungry folks

Cliff notes

Trim brisket
Season with your favorite rub
Get it to 165 Wrap in foil or butcher paper.
put it back in til 203 degrees
Let it rest for and hr or so.
slice and and enjoy

I'd just do it for myself and I got all day to let it smoke.

Elliot. Have you ever used butcher paper?

Haven't really looked into it but seems like most of the youtubers out there use it.

I usually start a brisket around midnight, and I don't wrap it until it hits 202 or so. After that, I toss it in a Yeti for 4 or more hrs until it's time to slice it up.

what sort of cooking device?
I moved onto the Traeger a few years ago; set and forget. I mist the brisket with apple cider and apple cider vinegar before going to bed, and then a few times in the morning. Wrapping is ok if you're in a time crunch, but I generally like to let it ride unmolested - better bark.

Back