Smoke 'em if you've got 'em

What type of smoker are you using?

The best Brisket I've ever done was just on a regular charcoal grill. Offset as far as I could make it, water over coals to steam, and 11 hours.
Its a pitboss 850 pro series I won off a tool truck lol. in the process of building a wood fired smoker as I am kinda bored with the pellet oven.
Had it unwrapped at 200 until 170 internal temp then wrapped in foil turned smoker up to 275 until 205 internal temp.

unpopular opinion coming in hot ... ribs are entirely too much work to eat for the meat you get

I think they are actually super easy and forgiving to cook since they do cook so slow. We even had ribs left over from that rack with 3 adults and 1 Toddler. We also cooked a chicken breast and veggies as well though.

So 10 min to prep/season the meat. Put on the smoker and basically do nothing for about 3 hours. Bring inside and wrap them with some foil and liquids - 10 more min and then they smoke for another 1.5 hours. Then you start checking temp and pull them at around 200. Bring inside and add your favorite bbq - 10 min and they go back on for about 20 min while you do nothing.

I'd call it about 30 min or work to smoke them. If you just throw them in the oven it's way less work.

With that said it'd be close to the same amount of time and effort if you were cooking 3 racks at the same time.

With that said it'd be close to the same amount of time and effort if you were cooking 3 racks at the same time.

im referring to actually work at the table to satisfy my belly time, not prep/cook time. bbq chicken breast or bbq ribs (pork or beef) im taking chicken every day of the week even at a restaurant. im a lazy eater and will avoid dealing with the bone in my meal at all costs.

Big Green Egg Gang
Same here, got it as a gift, didn’t understand the big deal with these bbqs, after using it, I can see why everyone is
interested in it.

18 pound bag of lump charcoal last a minimum of 75 hours of smoking, temp control from 175°~500°+ is easy and will maintain it for several hours, comes with a heat diffuser that makes all heat indirect, pizza stone for a wood fired pizza.
It does very well as a grill too, temp control being the key to all that is charred and tasty…

I also run an original New Braunfels Black Diamond that I picked up from the scrap guy at the machine shop I used to work at for 35$.

Little Easter feast, tried a spicy rack for shits n goggles. Used chalula as a binder and used a Mexican style dry rub added some jalapeños from the garden. Sugar basted ham, spicy ribs, and a couple racks of regular old sweet brown sugar style ribs. 8B87BA67-60BB-4998-A5F8-0C8E0762A66C.jpeg

Rad. We were going to do Lamb but were last min and couldn't find any locally. Ended up just going with some fried chicken that was sub par unfortunately.

But I will live to cook another day...

Big Green Egg Gang

Same here, got it as a gift, didn’t understand the big deal with these bbqs, after using it, I can see why everyone is
interested in it.

18 pound bag of lump charcoal last a minimum of 75 hours of smoking, temp control from 175°~500°+ is easy and will maintain it for several hours, comes with a heat diffuser that makes all heat indirect, pizza stone for a wood fired pizza.
It does very well as a grill too, temp control being the key to all that is charred and tasty…

I also run an original New Braunfels Black Diamond that I picked up from the scrap guy at the machine shop I used to work at for 35$.

How is the smoke flavor from the big green egg? Probably going to build myself an offset here shortly once I get my new spot set up

How is the smoke flavor from the big green egg? Probably going to build myself an offset here shortly once I get my new spot set up
It’s awesome. I change up the lump charcoal depending on what I’m doing. Add some soaked chunks of whatever compliments the meat. I use mine as a grill most of the time. I have a $7000 gas grill next to my egg and I find myself using my egg for everything. When it’s dove season, I hunt vineyards and I load up my truck with grape wood and use that to grill with. The versatility of the egg is unmatched. Only downside I could say is the capacity. Offsets can fit a lot more, but man it’s hard to beat the ceramic.

Did this little 10 lb pork shoulder over the weekend...

52825309390_edd1dc29fa_b.jpg

10am - about 7pm
225 degrees on the Weber Smokey Mtn
Meat Church Holy Cow Seasoning
Pecan wood
With some Lump Charcoal.

Other than having to fill up the water bath once and add a couple of pieces of pecan wood. I didn't touch the smoker.

Almost a set-it-and-forget-it.

Did this little 10 lb pork shoulder over the weekend...

52825309390_edd1dc29fa_b.jpg

10am - about 7pm
225 degrees on the Weber Smokey Mtn
Meat Church Holy Cow Seasoning
Pecan wood
With some Lump Charcoal.

Other than having to fill up the water bath once and add a couple of pieces of pecan wood. I didn't touch the smoker.

Almost a set-it-and-forget-it.
Fuck that looks good. How’s the pork with the pecan? I usually go apple wood with a little bit of apple juice in a pan and spritz it every now and again

Back