Shock shaft bump stops… yes or no?

troysladeck

So I’m putting some new shocks on the front of my XJ. The jeep in question 👇🏽
IMG_8377.jpeg
IMG_0133.png
Heres the current front and rear setups
IMG_8131.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg
Im swapping out my 2.5 Gladiator Mohave IBP shocks in the front for another set of Gen 1 2.5 Raptor shocks to get a little more travel and a firmer ride. I’m thinking about ditching the rubber bumpstop that sits inside the coil spring and running shock shaft bump stops instead. Like these 👇🏽
IMG_0297.png
My thought process is that the shock is the limiting factor anyways so might as well make it act as the bump. it will eliminate me needing to adjust the factory bump stop and probably be a little more progressive. My only concern is that the shaft bump stop may not be able to handle the pressure on hard hits and could damage the shock. Anyone with experience is this area??

BTW I got this idea after watching Jorge send it to flat in his beamed toyota at KOH. We were checking out the broken rear link when I noticed he doesnt have any hydro bumps in the front, just foam shock shaft bumps on the coilover and bybasses.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Only problem I would see is if the shock mount can’t take the bump load. If you plan a hammer on it fast off road that could create an issue. Those unibodys have very limited structure and the shock area is one of them

Now, if you run them in conjunction with the stock bump stop, that’s a whole nother story.

raptor I’m preping currently has only foam bumps and a massive 3.5 bypass on it and it does really good with no cross brace, all in how the load is distributed

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 14
Only problem I would see is if the shock mount can’t take the bump load. If you plan a hammer on it fast off road that could create an issue. Those unibodys have very limited structure and the shock area is one of them

Now, if you run them in conjunction with the stock bump stop, that’s a whole nother story.
good point. I think my set up would be able to handle it, but i’ll definitely confirm 👍🏽

I run these in the front of my Tacoma 2.5” bypass shocks. They added a good amount of cushion at the bottom of the stroke.

URO Parts 1H0412303B Strut Bump...

When I had an XJ I ran these in the front and they worked great. I added a solid rod of HPDE in the center as a hard stop. I also spent a lot of time reinforcing the upper coil bucket/shock mount/bump stop.

IMG_8229.jpeg

Back