stock 88 toyota p/u

88WhiteTurd

Hi so I'm still new to a lot of things here but I'm trying to learn, right now my truck is an 88 4x4 p/u my plan is to keep the leaf springs and do the TC long travel 4x4 kit but being a college student and working part-time, 6k for just the front is a little hard to swallow lol. so in the meantime I wanna do some 63s in the rear, better shocks etc. but where I'm stuck is the front, an awesome guy over at Yotamasters suggested that I run an upper ball joint spacer and extend the shock top hat to fit a 8 in stroke shock with reservoir to allow for adjustability this honestly seems like a great idea + (budget friendly) and being new to fabrication im still not sure how I would go about doing that but any input would be helpful. also, I've seen the Blazeland kits and I think I would rather wait to do the TC (Coilover) kit also the one thing I have been looking for is the TC first gen caddy kit I know the torsion bars aren't the best but if someone has a deal on one I wouldn't turn it down. Thankyou :)

I just started posting about my 1988 4Runner. Same suspension as your truck if you want to look at anything. BJ Spacers wont really give you anymore travel and may put your BJ into bind. A decent shock would be a big improvement but I am not sure the BJ spacer will do much.

For the 63's you would need to buy new leaf mounts for the front and relocate the shackle hanger then new shackles. So you are doing the work just to redo when you get the correct springs.

If it were me on a budget (Been there: Built my first Toyota while going to college) I would throw some money at shocks front and rear. Crank the front torsions a little and then throw an add a leaf (Not the towing weight kind but the old Fabtech/Downey style if anyone makes those still) at the rear and run it while saving up and buying used.

I just started posting about my 1988 4Runner. Same suspension as your truck if you want to look at anything. BJ Spacers wont really give you anymore travel and may put your BJ into bind. A decent shock would be a big improvement but I am not sure the BJ spacer will do much.

For the 63's you would need to buy new leaf mounts for the front and relocate the shackle hanger then new shackles. So you are doing the work just to redo when you get the correct springs.

If it were me on a budget (Been there: Built my first Toyota while going to college) I would throw some money at shocks front and rear. Crank the front torsions a little and then throw an add a leaf (Not the towing weight kind but the old Fabtech/Downey style if anyone makes those still) at the rear and run it while saving up and buying used.
That makes sense, I should also say that I have 33s on rn so that why the balljoint spacer was a suggestion, and the torsion bars are already cranked lol. A new question is if I'm going to want to do spring under eventually and switch to a Toyota 8.4 would I have to change the spring mounts, or just the spring mounts on the axel housing or is it even worth swapping an 8.4 in if I'm just keeping the 22re, anyway thankyou

I'm running stock rear-end and always have... no issues. My buddy is running a tundra 8.4 with no issue also. All of us run spring under deavers. Setting up spring under vs over is a little different due to where they bottom out

In order to run a spring under on your truck, youll have to weld spring pads on the BOTTOM of your current axle. You could swap in an 8.4 if you really wanted to, but youve already got the stock one sitting there and youre trying to pull this off on a budget. Either way, youre welding on new front spring mounts and shackle pivots. Many companies offer the parts needed to do it. (Ruffstuff sells everything you need)

Back