Shackle lengh change effects on shocks and bump location.

2012SVTSC

Hello, I have a question,
(Well I have two bricked trucks now with leaf spring set up questions).

I have the leafs unpacked and I am setting up the bump and shock mounts.

If l lock it all in with a 6" shackle then later decided to change to a different length shackle will there be much effect on the strike location of the bump stop and or the full bump location of the shock?
Screenshot_20231227_085058_Samsung Notes.jpg
The reason I am asking is I have the feeling my truck will sit too high with my leaf/shackle set up and may lower it with an extended shackle in the future but would like to permanently mount the shocks and bumps now.

Reference pictures:
1000003630.jpg
1000003906.jpg
1000003581.jpg
1000003579.jpg

Well too late. I am pretty sure it will just pivot the axle slightly so I am hoping if I change the shackle later it will be negligible as far as shock and bump positions.

New mounts tacked on. 1000004111.jpg

Since the front pivot is not changing, the axle shouldnt shift enough to change your bump strike location. The biggest issue I see is that your leafs may bind while going towards droop with a longer shackle and not moving your rear shackle hanger back further.
Measure free spring eye to eye, and make sure that its not longer than the shortest distance between front hanger and the shackle to leaf mounting hole when the shackle is swung forward/down.
Longer shackle will decrease that distance^.

Since the front pivot is not changing, the axle shouldnt shift enough to change your bump strike location. The biggest issue I see is that your leafs may bind while going towards droop with a longer shackle and not moving your rear shackle hanger back further.
Measure free spring eye to eye, and make sure that its not longer than the shortest distance between front hanger and the shackle to leaf mounting hole when the shackle is swung forward/down.
Longer shackle will decrease that distance^.

I was wondering about this very thing. (The binding issue). I'm going to check that measurement.
I think I may be having that exact issue on my 82, I feel like it it doesn't like to droop out it maybe for this reason.

Back