Rusty Red

Tech talk and sharing knowledge it what build threads are about. I tried the “magic number” when setting up my springs and the spring eye hit the frame at bump. There was really only one spot where the spring didn’t hit the frame and the shackle didn’t go past 90 degrees at droop. It was pretty sensitive to positioning though, like a 1/2” one way or the other make things go bad.

My upper shackle mounts are also as close to the frame as possible and nothing hits now. Well the tires will rub the bypass tube, but that’s because I didn’t account for how much lateral movement a leaf spring live axle will have.

Also I have pretty mellow shock valving and will probably make it even softer as I’m not using all the bump travel and pushing the truck as hard as the front end will allow.
So what is your number from center to center if not the magic number, mine was set at 53.5” give or take so I plan on moving it forward 1”. I’m not sure of the valving but the guy I purchased them from said it should be pretty good for my set up also having the adjusters could help it when I fully load it.

You’re using 12” shackles, correct?
Yep. 12” center to center.
So what is your number from center to center if not the magic number, mine was set at 53.5” give or take so I plan on moving it forward 1”. I’m not sure of the valving but the guy I purchased them from said it should be pretty good for my set up also having the adjusters could help it when I fully load it.
Center to center is right at 53.25.

I’m running 16” King 2.5 2 tube bypass shocks. A combo 12/15 stack on compression and a 8 stack on rebound with the bleed hole plugged. Also a .125” hole drilled in the rebound poppet. Tubes are both basically all the way open.

I plan on swapping the compression stack to all 12’s to see if it works better.

Yep. 12” center to center.

Center to center is right at 53.25.

I’m running 16” King 2.5 2 tube bypass shocks. A combo 12/15 stack on compression and a 8 stack on rebound with the bleed hole plugged. Also a .125” hole drilled in the rebound poppet. Tubes are both basically all the way open.

I plan on swapping the compression stack to all 12’s to see if it works better.
I know zero about shocks or tuning of shocks, I bought fox remote dsc reservoir 16x2.5 and I believe they said it’s a 50/70 valving which I know nothing about. I had mine at around the 53.5-54” range so I’m moving it forward now which hopefully lowers it a little also. My build is more of the handyman which works on all but not specifically great at any type of off-road. I’m sure whatever the outcome is it’s will handle the whoops better than my xj and flex ok on the slow stuff minus the front end ifs. Living in Southern California I see more desert terrain than rocks.

I know zero about shocks or tuning of shocks, I bought fox remote dsc reservoir 16x2.5 and I believe they said it’s a 50/70 valving which I know nothing about. I had mine at around the 53.5-54” range so I’m moving it forward now which hopefully lowers it a little also. My build is more of the handyman which works on all but not specifically great at any type of off-road. I’m sure whatever the outcome is it’s will handle the whoops better than my xj and flex ok on the slow stuff minus the front end ifs. Living in Southern California I see more desert terrain than rocks.
IMG_1243.jpeg
According to this chart you have a .010 stack on compression and .012 on rebound.

In my less than professional opinion, it’s all wrong. I would try .008 on rebound and the .012’s on compression. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you more.

Putting the parking brakes back together is terrible on this Sequoia rear diff I used. Axle flange blocks all the access.

IMG_1245.jpeg

The wife was out of town so I took the boy for a quick one night adventure in Gorman/Hungry Valley.
After a whole day of smashing around,the minion wanted to go on a night run after dinner. We were sticking to a familiar route/trail. Got stuck behind a gaggle of slow moving jeeps. Took another trail to short cut back to the main road. It got tighter and twisty as we climbed it.

Got to the spot where there was a pretty steep/narrow chute with that I was hesitant to go down. Pulled off to the right to turn around, that spot ended up being super soft silt. Was doing ok, inching the truck around. It was getting worse so I aired down to 8psi for max traction. Got a little carried away with the skinny pedal and lost the RF inner CV joint, fucker exploded in spectacular fashion.

Since I was on a slope, 2 WD only just pushed us into the bushes more.

Zero people on VHF radio and no one came by. We tried for an hour to summon help, nothing.

Called state parks for help, they did nothing but get us back to out camp site, zero interest in trying to get us unstuck.

[mention]the bodj [/mention] showed up and we took his long bed Silverado to recuse my piece of shit. We were able to drag it out with his winch. Blasted down the chute that was the cause of all this. Turns out I was only 100 yards from flat ground and had already done the hardest parts of the trail.

The shitbox made it home 75 miles with the RF CV missing the cage and balls. Just the axle bouncing around in the inner cup, it was so fucking loud.

Added a badlines, good times stickers I got from @dwphoto at the expo just before this trip. I guess I lived up to the new sticker! 😂IMG_1354.jpegIMG_1353.jpeg71834229489__687C55B9-02BD-4E21-8372-A3DAD1999FD6.jpegIMG_1482.jpegIMG_1483.jpegIMG_1486.jpegIMG_1487.jpeg

Home safe. Damage report, one exploded modified tundra CV shaft, ripped off mirror and some dents. Definitely bruised my ego a little bit too. At least the boy has some good memories.
View attachment 15341View attachment 15342
oh shit! It's a Lyfestyle haha, shoulda hit me up I woulda cruised out for recon... Glad you made it out safe!

So you guys got stuck, had to camp there and then @the bodj came to the rescue the next morning?

oh shit! It's a Lyfestyle haha, shoulda hit me up I woulda cruised out for recon... Glad you made it out safe!

So you guys got stuck, had to camp there and then @the bodj came to the rescue the next morning?
Thanks!

We already planned on camping there and had a camp set up. @the bodj came the next morning to rescue us.

Your 4Runner would have been a way better choice. We put the hurt to bodj’s poor trucks paint and body.

I miss Gorman. Nice seeing some pics of that place.. Soo sounds like some Baja Designs should be next on your to do list.

I miss Gorman. Nice seeing some pics of that place.. Soo sounds like some Baja Designs should be next on your to do list.
Gorman is nice that’s is close to me and has a little bit of everything. It’s definitely a little small though, especially in a “high speed” vehicle.

I have plenty of light, this was a driver/judgment error. Only a driver mod would have changed the outcome 😂

Back