Local Legend Mai-Tai-Yota

you try to go softer?
I was trying to do a few things at once but messed up the math early on. Trying to stop coil binding my 550/550 stack, get more ride height, and get a lighter spring rate at ride height to use the crossovers to ramp up rate. I'll take another crack at it soon

100% agree. His tires should be 95% outside the fiberglass just like mine.

I think he needs the extra hood length to fit the motor and radiator maybe??
I had the biggest 90s fenders and there wasn't much left of them once cut for clearance. I did gain a few inches with this clip to run a bigger radiator and provide clearance for 37s. I don't like the droopy look so it will get some work prior to paint. The next off season involves fitting bypass shocks up front so all that is on hold for now.

After the last resounding failure of spring choice I sat down to recalculate but was battling coil bind and available spring sizes. Only choice that worked resulted in too much free spring length so I sent it in the most sketchy way possible. This resulted in the 3.5" of preload calculated for ride height and about .25" shy of coil binding both springs. Time to drop it on the ground and see if the math worked out. Ended up with a 6" 450 over 18" 600.
IMG_20230522_181655356.jpgIMG_20230522_182108121.jpgIMG_20230522_182308716.jpgIMG_20230522_181707414.jpg

i dont know if you have room but running a 3.75 ID lower is common to get the rate and avoid coil bind.

The amount of anxiety I have looking at that picture of it in the press is off the charts...

as i was reading i was like ooh please no, i hope he isnt going to do what i think he is going to do.

i dont know if you have room but running a 3.75 ID lower is common to get the rate and avoid coil bind.
This is exactly what I was finding as well, the 3.75 springs have a shorter stack height and would have made it much easier. I ran out of time to find sliders and a lower cup for my 2.5 Swayaways or would likely have gone that route. I'm about to redo the front end to add a bypass and am trying hard to run 12in shocks so this was a bit of a temporary solution.

This is exactly what I was finding as well, the 3.75 springs have a shorter stack height and would have made it much easier. I ran out of time to find sliders and a lower cup for my 2.5 Swayaways or would likely have gone that route. I'm about to redo the front end to add a bypass and am trying hard to run 12in shocks so this was a bit of a temporary solution.
the quick and dirty way is to machine a 3.0 lower cup to sit on the 2.5 and machine 3.0 cup for the top.

think AGM makes sliders that allow 3" top spring and 3.75" bottom spring.... not sure how you deal with the lower spring seat though??

machine this so it sits on the existing lower spring retainer.

you could even machine another one for the spring slider he is running

Last edited:
I'll definitely keep that in mind for the rebuild.

Good news is I got more ride height than needed and just kissed coil bind on the lower. I should be able to adjust the crossover tand run it. More spring was definitely what I needed as it handles big hits great now.
IMG_20230523_201022184.jpg

I think you just need a turbo on that motor now! Keep the back end planted and front end light!

Turbo would be real fun but I'm still chasing handling.

New springs did handle the big hits better but I lost the smooth compliant ride I enjoyed. I also am at an impasse where I need more damping for the heavier springs but need less to combat shock fade. Pretty sure I'm at the point where I need another shock.

Likely last picture in the dirt for a while.
IMG_20230526_184444860.jpg

Do you think an IBP would help enough or are you just going to cut the whole front end off....

New springs did handle the big hits better but I lost the smooth compliant ride I enjoyed. I also am at an impasse where I need more damping for the heavier springs but need less to combat shock fade. Pretty sure I'm at the point where I need another shock.

maybe i missed it, but what were you trying to fix with the spring rate change? what do you have for valving in there? bleeds? psi in the reservoir?

Do you think an IBP would help enough or are you just going to cut the whole front end off....
Let the record reflect that I suggested leaving everything and going to an IBP like I have on the Turboyota. My front end works great with a 3.0 IBP and our trucks are incredibly similar.

“IBP’s are expensive” is a somewhat valid response when you have 3.0 bypasses sitting on the shelf, I suppose.

Turbo would be real fun but I'm still chasing handling.

Likely last picture in the dirt for a while.
View attachment 9754
Don’t cut it up yet! Let’s do a couple summer mountain rips first!

Let the record reflect that I suggested leaving everything and going to an IBP like I have on the Turboyota. My front end works great with a 3.0 IBP and our trucks are incredibly similar.

“IBP’s are expensive” is a somewhat valid response when you have 3.0 bypasses sitting on the shelf, I suppose.
king or fox?

Back