Local Legend Mai-Tai-Yota

I was trying to have it all:
Raise ride height
Eliminate coil bind
Reduce static spring rate to soak up razor bumps
Increase bump spring rate by utilizing crossover nuts

I have no experience with 3.0 IBP other than Rouse. I'm not a fan as my truck is heavier and will end up with a much heavier wheel combo so greater damping will be needed and I've seen his shocks get pretty hot but maybe never fade? I also want to be able to tune the different zones easier than switching metering rods and shims. I'm way too lazy for that noise.

I was trying to have it all:
Raise ride height
Eliminate coil bind
Reduce static spring rate to soak up razor bumps
Increase bump spring rate by utilizing crossover nuts

I have no experience with 3.0 IBP other than Rouse. I'm not a fan as my truck is heavier and will end up with a much heavier wheel combo so greater damping will be needed and I've seen his shocks get pretty hot but maybe never fade? I also want to be able to tune the different zones easier than switching metering rods and shims. I'm way too lazy for that noise.
sounds like you need to be cruising the classifieds. how much travel?

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR-SALE:Fox-3.0-×-12in-bypass-shocks-4tube-199714

lifes too short for responsible financial decisions. i bet @theycallmeWALLY can run over and grab em for ya

I have a set of both 3.0x10 and 3.0x12 triple bypass sitting on a shelf already, just need to make room on my truck for them.

Let the record reflect that I suggested leaving everything and going to an IBP like I have on the Turboyota. My front end works great with a 3.0 IBP and our trucks are incredibly similar.

“IBP’s are expensive” is a somewhat valid response when you have 3.0 bypasses sitting on the shelf, I suppose.

They’re not cheap but not terribly expensive. I’m a wholesaler for King and according to my price sheet, for example here, a set of 3.0x12 IBP coilovers are $327 dollars more per shock on the MSRP list than regular 3.0x12 coilovers. Just for reference in case anyone is curious.

If I didn't beleive in Brian's ability to 'get shit done' then I'd say pony up for some IBPs... But sounds like he has made up his mind and I'm sure the truck will be back in the dirt by the fall.

I can also assume it'll be cut up this week haha.

Oh it'll get done but I am the least prepared going into this off season than ever before. I have a couple projects that will trump this and I threw out my redesign CAD work I had complete. I may not make Labor day in the Cinders.

I ended up in the dirt one last time for the season. Took my middle son and he loved all nine miles we ended up doing that day. Sometimes adversity makes for a great adventure as well.
IMG_20230709_091930469_HDR.jpg

I did start pulling the truck apart recently. I was at the limit of running a single shock and am not interested in being an under-dog. Trying to make it work ended up bending some core tubes in my engine cage and I have been chasing a couple cracks for awhile now so it's all getting cut out and replaced. While it's down I'm going to upgrade to 37s which will involve some firewall work, adding a hydraulic ram assist, and really am pushing to hook up the A/C.
IMG_20230722_201244301.jpg

The biggest change I am looking into is adding 4wd. I picked up an '06 Explorer 8.8 rear diff which tucks up well to 1UZFE oil pan. I also got stock axles modify to bolt on a fixed 930 joint on the inside to use all 45 degrees of angle to salvage down travel. The outer joint is a stock F150 joint that allows off the shelf 930 shafts. Front hub will be a Dodge 1500 unit bearing with 5/8 studs that I'm really hoping will hold up as well as the stock 2wd Toyota or Dana 44 hubs did. I don't have the CAD design as far along as I would like but total travel looks good, ride height should be where I have been wanting it, and it looks like ground clearance will be manageable. Adding a transfer case is still a bit of an unknown though. I need a driver drop, want to use my Lexus A341E trans, and want a manual case. Currently weighing options of an FJ box and prerunner adapter, or a Jeep AW4 tail section and some Jeep box which adds the benefit of clocking up. Either way the floor is coming apart again and the exhaust will be redone. Stay tuned for updates involving lost of cutting, pretty CAD pics, and a bit of fab.
IMG_20230722_201302420.jpg

Back