Local Legend Mai-Tai-Yota

If only there was another 4x4 front suspension setup that could give you even better ground clearance, the ride height you want, all the travels, the ability to continue using your current reliable hub configuration, way less moving parts, no nasty CV's to mess with, no custom one off machined parts to figure about.... :unsure:

If only there was another 4x4 front suspension setup that could give you even better ground clearance, the ride height you want, all the travels, the ability to continue using your current reliable hub configuration, way less moving parts, no nasty CV's to mess with, no custom one off machined parts to figure about.... :unsure:
.. Borderline unlimited room for shock diameters and sizes, easily obtainable parts from junkyards + unlimited aftermarket support, and it’s a lot stronger for factory frame rails.

With all that said, I’m still a fan of outside of the box suspension stuff so it’ll be cool to see this A arm 4x4 creation come to life!

That would be sweet but a bit too cost prohibitive for me. It was borderline attainable when 74Weld was still making Unimog boxes and wheel adapters but since they moved on to full billet assemblies the price escalated out of my budget. Hummer boxes may still be affordable but I haven't seen a great approach to them yet.

I don't know what issues you're talking about. 5.13 8.8 gears are cheap and readily available. I may lose a bit of ground clearance but the uptravel limit has always been the fenders so it works out to 4 inch loss at full bump. Is 10in not enough? This won't be your typical 4runner on 33s with stock crossmember, at least I hope.

the 4wd pick up trucks drag front x member everywhere. 33's 35's doesn't seem to matter. Are you going to have more clearance than a 4wd pick up with a TC caddy kit?

I guess we'll see. I should be able to run a taller ride height than a TC kit so that will help. My rear axle grades Primm two track on 35s so anything more than an 11in bump I'm going to feel somewhere anyways.

Funny how the tables have turned from 20 years ago to now. Back then, you’d have been shunned for going beams, now you get shunned for doing a-arm 4wd

Yeah yeah, I know y’all are jokin around. It’s just funny 🤣

I did start pulling the truck apart recently. I was at the limit of running a single shock and am not interested in being an under-dog. Trying to make it work ended up bending some core tubes in my engine cage and I have been chasing a couple cracks for awhile now so it's all getting cut out and replaced. While it's down I'm going to upgrade to 37s which will involve some firewall work, adding a hydraulic ram assist, and really am pushing to hook up the A/C.
View attachment 12339

The biggest change I am looking into is adding 4wd. I picked up an '06 Explorer 8.8 rear diff which tucks up well to 1UZFE oil pan. I also got stock axles modify to bolt on a fixed 930 joint on the inside to use all 45 degrees of angle to salvage down travel. The outer joint is a stock F150 joint that allows off the shelf 930 shafts. Front hub will be a Dodge 1500 unit bearing with 5/8 studs that I'm really hoping will hold up as well as the stock 2wd Toyota or Dana 44 hubs did. I don't have the CAD design as far along as I would like but total travel looks good, ride height should be where I have been wanting it, and it looks like ground clearance will be manageable. Adding a transfer case is still a bit of an unknown though. I need a driver drop, want to use my Lexus A341E trans, and want a manual case. Currently weighing options of an FJ box and prerunner adapter, or a Jeep AW4 tail section and some Jeep box which adds the benefit of clocking up. Either way the floor is coming apart again and the exhaust will be redone. Stay tuned for updates involving lost of cutting, pretty CAD pics, and a bit of fab.
View attachment 12340
This is going to be rad! have you looked into ay of the Toyota Tundra front CV's?

As much as I am a die hard Toyota guy this assembly of parts is fairly well proven and benefits from standard sizing to make an affordable system once put together. The 2nd gen Tundra uses a goofy spline count that only works with their oddball 5 lug unit bearing and I could never find out what the shaft splines were other than looking real coarse. This package allows 5x5.5 wheels, cheap custom length 930 axles, easy re-gear and locking opportunities and RZR like CV angles. I also would have loved to use an 8in diff but the amount of Supra kits to convert to 8.8 was enough to make me reconsider. I won't be drag racing but it is an indicator.

Right on, I may be contacting you with some UZ questions as I'm about to put a 3UZ in my 2000 Tacoma 4X4. I have the motor and parts to keep my 5-speed trans, I just need to get rid of the GS430 donor shell in my driveway then I'm going to tear my truck down.

That would be awesome I'll try to remember everything about the swap, it has been quite a while though. I was initially hesitant to put an OBD2 motor in my truck but now I kind of wish I had as the 30 year old motor I needed to replace mine was a bit tough to find.

Back