Harry needs a new truck - bad ideas welcome

Harry Johnson

What's up guys. The wife and I have a tundra we love that pulled quadruple duty as a kid hauler, tow rig, dirt bike and bike hauler, and sometimes wheeler/desert ripper. We're gonna sell it.
1696542391316.png

We bought a new soccer mom SUV/tow rig. So that leaves us with a need for a dirt bike hauler, bike hauler, and sometimes wheeler/desert ripper. Also needs to be 4 door, street legal, 4x4, and it would be really really cool if I could flat tow it with our motorhome. Oh yeah, this will probably also be my DD.

My first impulse was a 2019+ ranger. It can be flat towed, the fx4 version gets a rear locker, and there are some aftermarket suspension kits available. Even the used ones are fairly expensive right now however.

1696542658327.png

So what are some other decent options? I kinda sorta was eyeballing a first gen explorer sport trac. Seems like all the ranger stuff from that era will bolt up suspension-wise, they're cheap, and it looks like I should be able to flat tow them?
1696542589747.png

My wife would hate another project.... until it's done anyway. Toss some other bad ideas my way.

Looks like BLGT Classifieds have what you need.

You should buy this! Comes with a free case of Beverages too

not enough doors but

Looks like BLGT Classifieds have what you need.

You should buy this! Comes with a free case of Beverages too

not enough doors but

Ooh, both are interesting. From a flat towing standpoint, they would both be more of a handful than a smaller truck. I'm digging the cage in the expedition however.

Details on Tundra?
Nothing too exciting. 2013 Rock Warrior, MCM Fab uppers and ADS coilovers up front, 1" shackle and some ads 2.5 piggy back shocks out back. 35x12.50 r17 on the stock rock warrior wheels. Small bit of trimming of the skid plate up front to prevent major rubbing at full lock. That reminds me- I need to put sway bar back on before I put it up for sale.

But yeah, hoping to buy/build something similar-ish in capability but smaller to make it a better tow rig. Extra plus if it gets better gas milage since it'll probably be my DD.

BIGGGGG Flat tow Guy
53025997886_f0a712b52f_b.jpg

you only have to pull the diff side.

Well.... I'm not sayin no. I will discuss with my better half tonight

Yep, 4 bolts and bungee cord the driveshaft up to the frame. Then leave the key in the on position so the steering wheel doesnt lock up.

What's up guys. The wife and I have a tundra we love that pulled quadruple duty as a kid hauler, tow rig, dirt bike and bike hauler, and sometimes wheeler/desert ripper. We're gonna sell it.
View attachment 15239

We bought a new soccer mom SUV/tow rig. So that leaves us with a need for a dirt bike hauler, bike hauler, and sometimes wheeler/desert ripper. Also needs to be 4 door, street legal, 4x4, and it would be really really cool if I could flat tow it with our motorhome. Oh yeah, this will probably also be my DD.

My first impulse was a 2019+ ranger. It can be flat towed, the fx4 version gets a rear locker, and there are some aftermarket suspension kits available. Even the used ones are fairly expensive right now however.

View attachment 15241

So what are some other decent options? I kinda sorta was eyeballing a first gen explorer sport trac. Seems like all the ranger stuff from that era will bolt up suspension-wise, they're cheap, and it looks like I should be able to flat tow them?
View attachment 15240

My wife would hate another project.... until it's done anyway. Toss some other bad ideas my way.
Sport trac with TTB conversion with cantilever rear to maintain the tiny bed.

Last edited:
Sport trac with TTB conversion with cantilever rear to maintain the tiny bed.
I like this. Been eyeballing a few for sale around here, and it's hard to find one that has a non-chitty interior these days. Also I guess I only want 2005 and below, yes? Seems like the newer versions had something different going on suspension-wise that didn't get much aftermarket support

Yes, 2001 to 2005 has the same torsion bar, a-arm suspension as the ranger edge and 95-01 explorer. The newer models are a different front suspension and independent rear suspension. A lot of them just have the driver seat worn out, which wouldn't be the end of the world to fix. Keep your eye out for the trim levels with the rear AC.

Lets keep the bad ideas flowing. Whatever vehicle I end up with(and it's currently looking like a certain 2012 tacoma), I want to flat tow it in the same manner we currently flat tow our TJ. (you can see why I want a truck)
1697044926607.png
1697045021050.png

Only problem is- aftermarket tow bars for most trucks hang down waaaaaay to far for my liking. Currie... er I guess Rock Jock now? Makes this trick little setup for jeeps that we're using on my TJ, and it would be cool if I could swap tow bars between the two. These little blocks bolt straight up through the frame rails
1697045181159.png

1697045293071.png

I'm considering either somehow welding or drilling/bolting these little jeep specific tabs to the frame horns of whatever I get. Has anyone rigged up anything similar? Pics welcome of whatever you might have. Bonus points if anyone knows of any aftermarket bumpers I could bolt on instead.

so my set up on pick up and

50533063338_60c352688a_b.jpg

50533063773_eb8d7bd23b_b.jpg

ended up modifying things a bit on the tow bar itself

Tried this first... tweaked the mounts a little bit
50537208956_fab43c6e22_b.jpg

4 runner's set up
52003094377_05f1e72baa_b.jpg

This is the bar used for both... this is mounted to 4 runner. the other holes are for Mouse ( pickup )
52004114771_cc0d0209f2_b.jpg

As for this possible Mystery 2012 Tacoma. I'd say try to score a used solid aftermarket bumper and then weld some beefy tabs onto that.

Something like this would be pretty money
BC12031C-ED5D-478E-9236-2C30A61FD473-scaled.jpeg

Here is a thread on TW that talks about flat towing...

Well, phase 1 of the operation is complete. I am now in possession of @dwphoto's Tacoma and am eyeballing his bumper recommendations. Who knew all I had to do was ask and someone would pop up with a truck? So far we've only really tested the kid and Christmas tree hauling capacity and found it satisfactory.

1702330210300.png

I'll update as I attempt to make this tow-able.

Dude stoked this all ended up working out perfectly.

This should be a joint build thread for Tundra and Tacoma. like @theycallmeWALLY and my IG page (@badlinesgoodtimes) 🤡

Already putting Tundra through the paces. Miles approves.

53392022849_b07a93b82c_b.jpg

53392022719_53bf80bf7e_b.jpg

53392027934_0b8e7e1739_b.jpg

Can migrate this to a build thread or you are welcome to commandeer. The build thread already rolling haha. It's going to need it when you LT, Supercharge.

E

Back