Fenderfab Ranger

Got the trans installed and took the truck for its first drive in about 4-5 months. Taking the truck back up to Maximum later this week for a few adjustments to the trans.

Working on putting lights on the truck, I am putting together a flip up light rack that will be mounted to the back of the cab with a actuator to raise and lower the rack with some round lights in it. Trying to keep away from having a bunch of lights on the bumper or having lights mounted above the windshield.

Probably going to change up my exhaust setup. Ive been talking to Brian at black widow about some suggestions- i want a good chop and sound at idle but nothing too crazy when im running the truck. Trying to find that balance between a good sound and not being obnoxiously loud.

IMG_2708.jpg

Went up to Maximum this morning to get some adjustments done. Needed to adjust the linkage and shifter, and we changed the pan to a Moroso deep pan. Tail shaft was slightly leaking as well so we put new gaskets on that as well just to be safe. Highly suggest Maximum offroad trans, guys are very good builders and answered all of my questions and made sure everything was 100%.

IMG_2740.jpg

I know the truck is completely different now but how did you like the truck when is was just a single coil over on all 4 corners? I have a single cab I've been planning on building and I'm still trying to figure out if a single coil over all the way around would be a good option for simplicity even though I know I'll probably end up putting bypasses later down the road haha.

I know the truck is completely different now but how did you like the truck when is was just a single coil over on all 4 corners? I have a single cab I've been planning on building and I'm still trying to figure out if a single coil over all the way around would be a good option for simplicity even though I know I'll probably end up putting bypasses later down the road haha.
Honestly worked pretty good! Im still running a single coilover on the front (3.0) and it works great.

Originally when i built the truck i had 2.5" coilover on all 4 corners with 2.0 bumpstops and it worked pretty good. Obviously the valving is the limiting factor of what you can get in a 2.5" shock but for a light weight simple build it would be fine if your just cruising around. Later on i added bypasses to the rear. Originally had a 2.5 and now i put 3.0s on the back.

Still working on shock tuning etc.

Minor updates.

After some review the new rear springs are way too heavy. Going to change spring rates again, doing some final adjustments and tuning. Got the windows tinted and i picked up some lights for the truck finally. After going back and forth on options i picked up KC pro 6 rack that i couldnt pass up the price on. It will be removable.

ranger side.jpg
weld.jpg

Does your rear coilover go past 90* at bump? Picture might be deceiving.

What springs are you switching from/going to?

I think its just the picture, the trucks sitting all weird right now since i backed it in the front sitting low and the rear about 6" too high

So originally i had 300/350 on the rear. Which was way too soft. Then i was told to change to 450/600 which is way too much spring. After talking to Kevin i am changing to a 12" 400 over a 18" 450. Still eibach springs.

I think its just the picture, the trucks sitting all weird right now since i backed it in the front sitting low and the rear about 6" too high

So originally i had 300/350 on the rear. Which was way too soft. Then i was told to change to 450/600 which is way too much spring. After talking to Kevin i am changing to a 12" 400 over a 18" 450. Still eibach springs.

Makes sense. Yeah beams are strange when you back up if your toe is slightly not perfect lol.

I think I’m currently 350/350 in the rear. I need to go a bit stiffer, but I need to sit down and figure out what lengths I need. I have a 400# spring, but it’s shorter than the 350# spring so idk if that’s a good idea

I have a pair of 500 lbs. 18" Eibach grey springs if you're interested.

Thank you! i already bought my new springs, but ill have these new (wrong) ones for sale and my old ones.

Thank you for sharing. Really like how you try to do everything in house. Painting sucks.. well prepping sucks, painting is fun. Truck looks very nice. Can't wait to see how you handle the light situation. Also thank you for sharing your experience with Maximum, I called them once for info and he was very helpful, informational and good to talk with. What did you coat the exhaust with?

Thank you for sharing. Really like how you try to do everything in house. Painting sucks.. well prepping sucks, painting is fun. Truck looks very nice. Can't wait to see how you handle the light situation. Also thank you for sharing your experience with Maximum, I called them once for info and he was very helpful, informational and good to talk with. What did you coat the exhaust with?

Absolutely! Thank you for the comments! I have done everything on the truck except build the radius arms (Billet aluminum), build the trans or the rear axle housing. Everything else ive done in house, i have never had a mentor or anyone teach me the right way to build prerunners so its just been alot of trial and error and spending time learning on forums throughout the last 10-11 years ive built the truck.

The paint isnt perfect by a long shot, its the first car ive ever painted and it did it in my garage (no spray booth) Theres a couple runs in the clear but overall it turned out pretty nice. I found a good place to buy paint from thats cheap. its about 300 for a full gallon kit with base coat and clear and all reducers and activators. They have LOW VOC if you live in CA just email them. https://www.thecoatingstore.com/

I have a couple options im throwing around for lights. I did pickup a old school flip up style light bar i was going to mount behind the cab and use an actuator to raise and lower it. However I also picked up a KC 50" pro6 8 light rack which im planning to start with. I dont mind the look (same lights RJ fab runs on his ranger) however im not sure how bad the glare will be off the windshield.

I had a good experience with Maximum. I havent really taken the truck out since i got the trans built so i cant say much on the reliability side as i just put it in, however it shifts super firm and feels like a whole new truck from what little driving i did with it so far. Chris was a cool guy and really made sure it was taken care of. There were a few adjustments that i needed done, and i took the truck up to him and his guys knocked it out while i waited.

For the exhaust i did cerakote. There is a certain series of Cerakote that is air cure and doesnt need an oven. I prepped it with a pretty fine sand paper and scotch brite and sprayed it out of a small spray gun. It holds up pretty decent, way better than paint and you have the options of alot of colors. Basically just like painting tho, prep it and spray it and let it dry. I coated my shocks in all the same cerakote as well and they have held up excellent so far. Heres the link, just under the filters on the side bar it will say cure, and select air cure to see the options. https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating?finishes=cera_air

Those are 1" Kingpin

I have these ready to go for the front- 2.5 Camburg, 13" Coleman rotors, 6 Piston wilwoods

Still working out what I want to do for my spindles. I have a couple ideas but ultimately may be easiest to just get a new beam kit rather than try to graft something onto these beams.

View attachment 6411
What rotors are you using? I need to replace my existing ones and they are redrilled 8lug hubs. I’m trying to figure out what to use to make them a 5x5.5 lug pattern easily

i fucking love this truck.

i LOVE it.

that is all.

any pics of it on the trailer, hooked up to the monster truck/tow truck??
(forewarning, if you post a picture of that, I'll probably destroy my panties)

and any action shots jumping or doing anything except just sitting parked??

What rotors are you using? I need to replace my existing ones and they are redrilled 8lug hubs. I’m trying to figure out what to use to make them a 5x5.5 lug pattern easily

I have no idea man, i bought them used. They are oem rotors- i can get you some info on them!

i fucking love this truck.

i LOVE it.

that is all.

any pics of it on the trailer, hooked up to the monster truck/tow truck??
(forewarning, if you post a picture of that, I'll probably destroy my panties)

and any action shots jumping or doing anything except just sitting parked??
Thank you man!!! yeah heres some more pics!! Havent got many action shots the past couple years, i havent had the truck in the dirt for almost a year and a half. :(

rgr1.JPG
rgr2.JPG
20201020_160533.jpg
20201029_100954.jpg

Dang some of those pics are old! It’s got that ugly wheel and tire combo on it at the drags ;)

Dang some of those pics are old! It’s got that ugly wheel and tire combo on it at the drags ;)
hahaha yes!! some old pics for sure- 2016-2019 ish

Im really trying to hit some dirt in the next month or so, will for sure be getting some footage!

Back