Cage/harness no helmet or hans!?!

1989 Bronco, had something like 90k ORIGINAL miles on it, WORKING A/C for the first majority of its life, FUCKLOAD OF HIGHLIFE IN ITS BLOOD AND RUNNING GEAR AT ALL TIMES,
NO CAGE
stock 4x4 beams that i cut/turned
12" c/o in the front
mangled/transgendered "supposed" to be 64" leafs in the back with 12" triples under the floor and 2.0 bumps
flipped axle and tubbed rear, that not to be too cocky or anything, but i did a FUCKING BADASS, CLEAN AS FUCK job on that i'll forever be the most proud of
it ended life on 37" projects w/ 17" methods
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
buckets in the front, bench in the rear

aaaaaaaannnnnndddddddddd............
custom center console i built nice and super clean as fuck, as well.
bunch of cool funny switches..........
bumper w/ 4 old ass KC's, HAD a 50" Rigid at one point but i was actually in the process of putting a big badass lightbar w/4 Baja Design HiDs on it (that is now on the buggy) that came off of the silver bullet when DickheadDouchbagDenton got rid of it...........

um, yeah. hah

and also, it had, still has,, and forever will have my whole heart...........

Have any pics of how you fit 37's front and rear on it?

I’ve got 4-point in a caged leafsprung truck. Shoulders and Lap belt

Do you recommend upgrading to 5-point harness?

Have any pics of how you fit 37's front and rear on it?
yeah of course.

kind of a BS picture, but its all i could google real quick...............

how-to-change-flat-tire-infographic-diagram-detailed-conceptual-drawing-images-step-step-drive...jpg

hehe.

no but seriously....... i didn't do anything. just put them on. hah.
the front had cut/turned beams already so it helped in the front, it still rubbed at FULL LOCK(i'm pretty sure at least?) and the rear...... they just fit so i ran them. of course they did rub at full bump, but nothing to extreme since i set the rear end up for a lower bump/more droop.

I live in a state of confusion, my apologies for sharing it! Lol

You said you had and wife had bad scars from 4 points… was just asking what exactly about the 4 point caused it. Was considering 4 points for back seat as currently using stock bench.

full yardsale, both of our heads hit the cage. nut belts would have prevented that, we have matching scars. multiple year build, finished enough to drive, first time in the dezert for the wife (was gf at the time) and up to my eyeballs in debt. ran out of talent and rear up travel. long term it was a blessing in disguise, but SUCKED at the time. thankfully i was smart enough to cut my losses and not chase that dream anymore.

IMG_3756x.jpg

full yardsale, both of our heads hit the cage. nut belts would have prevented that, we have matching scars. multiple year build, finished enough to drive, first time in the dezert for the wife (was gf at the time) and up to my eyeballs in debt. ran out of talent and rear up travel. long term it was a blessing in disguise, but SUCKED at the time. thankfully i was smart enough to cut my losses and not chase that dream anymore.

View attachment 9263
Fuck bud...Bad Lines Bad Times right there. What was the damage report.

We might need a Bad Lines Bad Times Thread I know some of you savages on here have had some pretty good rides. 😬

Well I was going to stay out of this but I couldn't help myself. Wally, Eliot, and a few others on here have either been with me or seen me in my current truck as well as my old 86 2wd (that introduced Eliot to off-road Toyota Shenanigans on a multi day Nevada trip where we met Charles Manson (kind of), pushed our beds together, got a speeding ticket for going too fast off-road downhill in Esmeralda county Nv, then used my bumper as a battering ram to mow over a NV state highway speed limit sign 30 seconds after the Nv police officer drove away) and while yes I may drive fast (not trying to be cocky, just what I've been told) I feel as though I'm completely in control of the car 98% of the time, Jesus has the other 2%. I do think a cage is a good idea and is in the plans for my truck, but I think more than anything the accidents are mostly drivers running out of skill/talent. I'm not saying I'm Rob Mac or Robby G, but I know the exact limits of what my vehicles are capable of and do my best to not cross that line. Its ok to flirt with it, but I see far too many drivers think they're Rob Mac and in a TT (this seems to happen a lot with UTV's). Again, not being cocky, but I always know where all 4-tires are, what they are going to hit and because of a lot of seat time, I can reliably predict how my truck is going to react to almost every situation. So my $0.02 is that although cages undoubtedly save lives, being a humble driver in regards to your ability, knowing your limits as a driver, knowing your cars limits, and putting in hundreds of hours of seat time could possibly save more lives than a cage...........

This is coming from a guy who got a phone call from Eliot last year that sounded like an intervention telling me it was time to cage my truck :rolleyes::LOL:

Fuck that sucks to hear man!

Fuck bud...Bad Lines Bad Times right there. What was the damage report.

We might need a Bad Lines Bad Times Thread I know some of you savages on here have had some pretty good rides. 😬

meh it happens. when you ignore the subtle nudges and hints, God has to round house your head to get you back on the path. the round house worked and i pay attention to the nudges and hints most of the time now.

total loss

Well I was going to stay out of this but I couldn't help myself. Wally, Eliot, and a few others on here have either been with me or seen me in my current truck as well as my old 86 2wd (that introduced Eliot to off-road Toyota Shenanigans on a multi day Nevada trip where we met Charles Manson (kind of), pushed our beds together, got a speeding ticket for going too fast off-road downhill in Esmeralda county Nv, then used my bumper as a battering ram to mow over a NV state highway speed limit sign 30 seconds after the Nv police officer drove away) and while yes I may drive fast (not trying to be cocky, just what I've been told) I feel as though I'm completely in control of the car 98% of the time, Jesus has the other 2%. I do think a cage is a good idea and is in the plans for my truck, but I think more than anything the accidents are mostly drivers running out of skill/talent. I'm not saying I'm Rob Mac or Robby G, but I know the exact limits of what my vehicles are capable of and do my best to not cross that line. Its ok to flirt with it, but I see far too many drivers think they're Rob Mac and in a TT (this seems to happen a lot with UTV's). Again, not being cocky, but I always know where all 4-tires are, what they are going to hit and because of a lot of seat time, I can reliably predict how my truck is going to react to almost every situation. So my $0.02 is that although cages undoubtedly save lives, being a humble driver in regards to your ability, knowing your limits as a driver, knowing your cars limits, and putting in hundreds of hours of seat time could possibly save more lives than a cage...........

This is coming from a guy who got a phone call from Eliot last year that sounded like an intervention telling me it was time to cage my truck :rolleyes::LOL:

i think there is a balance point where you flirt with that edge for long enough something will happen. does a cage give you a little more confidence in your abilities, probably. not going to argue seat time matters. you got how much time on a moto? that makes a huge difference in your skillset

meh it happens. when you ignore the subtle nudges and hints, God has to round house your head to get you back on the path. the round house worked and i pay attention to the nudges and hints most of the time now.

total loss

i think there is a balance point where you flirt with that edge for long enough something will happen. does a cage give you a little more confidence in your abilities, probably. not going to argue seat time matters. you got how much time on a moto? that makes a huge difference in your skillset
I've been riding since 4, then was a test rider for 5 years at Dirt Rider Mag, and now do test riding for Kris at Keefer Inc. And I agree 100% that moto translates to 4-wheels, I think mostly in wheel placement awareness and predicting car reaction. Oh and being comfortable being a little sketch.

View attachment 9263

That is shitty! Pardon my beating a dead horse… so by not using the nut belt it allowed your body to slide vertically in the harness? If strapped in tight (especially the lap belt) how does that happen? Again new to the cage life and trying to do it the right way the first time. My passengers lives (my sons) are more important than mine! Even taking it easy shit can go wrong!

so by not using the nut belt it allowed your body to slide vertically in the harness? If strapped in tight (especially the lap belt) how does that happen?

yes it keeps the harness from moving. the nut belts keeps the lap belt from riding up when you tighten the shoulder belts. when everything is tight and mounted properly the harness is pulling you into the seat to keep you from moving. sorry i suck at explaining things

This is a safety third mentality. I get the experience side as I've ridden dirt bikes since I was three and raced D37 for a while. I think of myself similar as you - I'm a good driver, can read terrain, and know my truck (and bike and car) very well. Even with that, the desert changes constantly. While I have not wadded up my truck, I have had big crashes on my bike. The issues doesn't always come down to driver error - how about part failures? Broken tie rods? Sheared snouts? These are definite possibilities and I would say they are more likely without a cage, with my assumption being that if you don't have a cage, you're not likely to have billet hubs, solid steering, etc.

Shit happens no matter your skill level. Your truck will either be best equipped to protect you and your passengers when shit happens or it won't.

-Love, the guy who waited 6 years to cage his truck.

IT JUST WORKS BECAUSE THE INTERNET SHOWED YOU PICS OF NOT USING THE NUT BELT, AND MASTER JAKEY SAID SO.

😘😘😘

yes it keeps the harness from moving. the nut belts keeps the lap belt from riding up when you tighten the shoulder belts. when everything is tight and mounted properly the harness is pulling you into the seat to keep you from moving. sorry i suck at explaining things
Nah you’re good, I get that. I just figured with that lap belt sinched down tight even with tightening the shoulder belts it would still hold you in seat. I could see how having a little slack or slightly loose for comfort would for sure allow that!

I guess I just cut a slot in stock bench for the nut belt lol.

This is a safety third mentality. I get the experience side as I've ridden dirt bikes since I was three and raced D37 for a while. I think of myself similar as you - I'm a good driver, can read terrain, and know my truck (and bike and car) very well. Even with that, the desert changes constantly. While I have not wadded up my truck, I have had big crashes on my bike. The issues doesn't always come down to driver error - how about part failures? Broken tie rods? Sheared snouts? These are definite possibilities and I would say they are more likely without a cage, with my assumption being that if you don't have a cage, you're not likely to have billet hubs, solid steering, etc.

Shit happens no matter your skill level. Your truck will either be best equipped to protect you and your passengers when shit happens or it won't.

-Love, the guy who waited 6 years to cage his truck.
I agree somewhat, you'll never hear me say a cage is a bad idea or unsafe. Now when it comes to "better parts on caged trucks" I don't fully agree. Billet hubs don't mean they are any better than OE parts, it just means they're "custom". This all comes down to the owner of the vehicle prepping their shit or even knowing how their parts work. I've seen wheels come off and go flying into crowds off of race trucks, dump trucks, go karts, and stock trucks. It boils down to someone prepping or not prepping their shit. Yes off-road parts fail, but in all my years in the off-road industry (18 this year) Knock on wood, I've never had any parts fail on my vehicle. Maybe that's luck, or maybe its because I'm really in tune with my vehicles and on top of keeping it prepped in good shape. I feel as though it used to be people built their own trucks so they generally knew how they worked went together, but as of late more and more people have gotten into off-road who didn't grow up doing it (which is fine) nor did they build their cars, they bought them done, or paid to have them built (which is again fine). When that's the case I feel like its the drivers responsibility to understand how their car works instead of just getting in and driving them. If you know your car well, you'll know when something doesn't feel right. This comes from dealing with a whole new customer base (in my job) that come from the car world and think their off-road vehicle is supposed to be bullet proof, not make any noise, and be able to race "the baja".

Back