"Built vs Bought"

Most shit-boxes are definitely overpriced, although every once in awhile I come across something reasonably priced, I think the issue is people try to turn a profit on their half-assed builds thinking the work is done and parts are bought, but in reality most of it needs to be cut off and redone to work properly and be safe, at least from what I've seen.
I think you are 100% correct, it seems like people would start down the path and you could pick up some with less than desirable fab work, but decent parts for a pretty good deal because the owner had hit the wall on hemorrhaging money…. Your spot on about trying to turn a profit, now it seems even shabby fab work is apparently worth a premium

I have bought A LOT of competed desert ready vehicles, always never being quite content with what I have and selling them having no real attachment or pride in driving around a truck that someone else built. The last 2, working on 3 vehicles I have had I built from completely stock, having everything exactly how you want, and knowing the truck top to bottom really goes a long ways for me, much more pride owning and driving it and knowing if anything happens you know what it takes to fix it and know the truck top to bottom. I honestly don't see me ever buying a completed vehicle as my primary offroad toy again. The time it takes to figure out someone else's problems is sometimes just not worth it. I am past the point in my life of instant gratification and am ok with spending a year building something I want.

Granted being involved in the industry I do get some discounts here and there and can do most of it myself or with the help of friends, dropping it off at a shop and saying call me when its done I could NEVER afford haha, I do give credit to the guys that can. GIve the truck to a company that is good at what they do and the owner of the truck can work hard at doing what they do to be able to afford it

Built!

Attachments

• 8A444FBA-8264-4EB9-AC83-5CA73ECEC6C2.jpeg
    8A444FBA-8264-4EB9-AC83-5CA73ECEC6C2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • 43CD8CF6-EAA4-4D37-B093-98F6EFBEB3BE.jpeg
    43CD8CF6-EAA4-4D37-B093-98F6EFBEB3BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 5A1D9DDF-6DAF-41C1-B87C-4F5A890B5DBA.jpeg
    5A1D9DDF-6DAF-41C1-B87C-4F5A890B5DBA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 076EA9AA-D6AB-4E82-B1A1-B184AA1611AF.jpeg
    076EA9AA-D6AB-4E82-B1A1-B184AA1611AF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • BDCC450B-3420-4286-89E8-BB20655B1E10.jpeg
    BDCC450B-3420-4286-89E8-BB20655B1E10.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 94BC6076-4D45-4CA0-9742-36D7AB61AC7D.jpeg
    94BC6076-4D45-4CA0-9742-36D7AB61AC7D.jpeg
    896.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 62B19DC1-0836-4726-8F56-0A11D0F2A06D.jpeg
    62B19DC1-0836-4726-8F56-0A11D0F2A06D.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0F45DC2B-B883-4AEB-9E6E-1F6782A24D1C.jpeg
    0F45DC2B-B883-4AEB-9E6E-1F6782A24D1C.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 94C4DDCF-7601-4919-B543-BE98F04A9B98.jpeg
    94C4DDCF-7601-4919-B543-BE98F04A9B98.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 8D91BBFF-34A5-4C21-BC6E-AAF818E0B687.jpeg
    8D91BBFF-34A5-4C21-BC6E-AAF818E0B687.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 3A36641F-A34E-4E8A-B7F8-A1DB2AFBBD0C.jpeg
    3A36641F-A34E-4E8A-B7F8-A1DB2AFBBD0C.jpeg
    807.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 4E452CEF-1F0A-4274-AA95-8538AE35D380.jpeg
    4E452CEF-1F0A-4274-AA95-8538AE35D380.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • E35195AF-1444-4E38-A74D-D424E51E27E3.jpeg
    E35195AF-1444-4E38-A74D-D424E51E27E3.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 16
I am continually amazed at the quality of the design, fabrication and welding that I see on these BLGT posts! You guys should take great pride in what you are building, amazing skills! I wish I had those skill sets but since I don't, I'm on the "bought" list. My satisfaction is limited to trying to buy a capable rig for a good price. Your satisfaction is knowing that you had your mind and your hands on every part of your machine.

I am continually amazed at the quality of the design, fabrication and welding that I see on these BLGT posts! You guys should take great pride in what you are building, amazing skills! I wish I had those skill sets but since I don't, I'm on the "bought" list. My satisfaction is limited to trying to buy a capable rig for a good price. Your satisfaction is knowing that you had your mind and your hands on every part of your machine.
Buy a grinder and a welder and start teaching yourself these skills!! 500 bucks and a year or so and you can 100% teach yourself enough fab skills to build a decent truck. Also the amount of shit you can learn on YouTube alone in regards to metal fab is insane. Just have to fucking do it.

Currently in this boat now as I came across some 1990 ranger that the dude basically needed to get rid of, lived in apartment, 2 kids(was his daily), couldn’t do much. He bought it as is annnnd it needs a TON!
6” over beams, solo radius arms/solo engine cage, FOA coilovers, 3 linked, FOA coilovers, one side of the frame is plated for lower link pivots, the other is not, rear frame C notch, absolutely torch cut, that’s plated that plate was cut by torch, not cleaned. Soooo, I kind of feel like you win some, lose some. Pros & cons.
Basically in it for 2k as I type this

Last edited:
Here's a question,
In the case of my kids Ranger, What is it called when you buy a stock truck and most of non-welding type fab work is done by Myself/my kid. We will do everything that doesn't require welding.
The lighter non critical welding fab is done by my Brother/kids uncle.
But when it comes to heavy fab work my kid pays a skilled shop Mikey @the_fablab_ to build rest of the truck. Like the front long travel and rear bed cage and suspension. And soon to be interior cage.

So is it built or is it considered bought.

Last edited:
Here's a question,
In the case of my kids Ranger, What is it called when you buy a stock truck and most of non-welding type fab work is done by Myself/my kid. We will do everything that doesn't require welding.
But when it comes to heavy fab work my kid pays a skilled shop Mikey @the_fablab_ to build rest of the truck. Like the front long travel and rear bed cage and suspension. And so to be interior cage.

There is definitely levels to each category. Knowing your limits and paying someone to do parts of the build you don't have time/ tooling/ knowledge is what I'd call smart.

I'd put that in the built bin if the truck started in stock format. Obviously when you guys are putting in the slap chop with someone around the campfire or walking out of bed bath and beyond someone ask about the truck in the parking lot about what's done to it I'm sure you are giving credit where is due. It's all good IMO

Some of these fab wizards might disagree.🤷‍♂️ I just work here.

E

There is definitely levels to each category. Knowing your limits and paying someone to do parts of the build you don't have time/ tooling/ knowledge is what I'd call smart.

I'd put that in the built bin if the truck started in stock format. Obviously when you guys are putting in the slap chop with someone around the campfire or walking out of bed bath and beyond someone ask about the truck in the parking lot about what's done to it I'm sure you are giving credit where is due. It's all good IMO

Some of these fab wizards might disagree.🤷‍♂️ I just work here.

E
Yeah,
My kid knows everything about his truck and where stuff came from or who did what.
That's what bugged me when my kid first got his truck and was getting into this hobby. We would go to a meet and ask others about their trucks to get ideas and just learn. But so many of them had no clue about it. We would get the " I don't know. I bought like this"
Even if you have a shop build it. Pay attention to the build. You can always tell people who built it, But at least have an idea of what was done or what's used.

Here's a question,
But when it comes to heavy fab work my kid pays a skilled shop Mikey @the_fablab_ to build rest of the truck. Like the front long travel and rear bed cage and suspension. And soon to be interior cage.

My last 3 pre-runners have been mostly bolt on parts. I over putting so much time and money into a trucks.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5972.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5972.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_5971.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5971.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_3822.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3822.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8393.jpg
    IMG_8393.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 300968_198180833579519_5847260_n.jpg
    300968_198180833579519_5847260_n.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
Yeah,
My kid knows everything about his truck and where stuff came from or who did what.
That's what bugged me when my kid first got his truck and was getting into this hobby. We would go to a meet and ask others about their trucks to get ideas and just learn. But so many of them had no clue about it. We would get the " I don't know. I bought like this"
Even if you have a shop build it. Pay attention to the build. You can always tell people who built it, But at least have an idea of what was done or what's used.
yep. That's with anything though. you are gunna have the folks that want to look the part and then there's rest of us mouth breathers that eat, sleep, breath these stupid trucks.

I was joking with @Camper shell fun just the other day on the phone is equivalent to the kids walking around carrying their skateboards everywhere to look the part. Where as someone that actually skates is riding that board at any moment possible.
fellow-kids.jpg

But then there a whole other end of the spectrum... when someone knows all about their truck in and out. Whether they built every bit of it or bolted it together, the torque specs, the valving in each shock, the this the that, Blah blah blah but the truck is in Show room condition because they never actually take it out. That just as bad IMO haha

yep. That's with anything though. you are gunna have the folks that want to look the part and then there's rest of us mouth breathers that eat, sleep, breath these stupid trucks.

I was joking with @Camper shell fun just the other day on the phone is equivalent to the kids walking around carrying their skateboards everywhere to look the part. Where as someone that actually skates is riding that board at any moment possible.
fellow-kids.jpg

But then there a whole other end of the spectrum... when someone knows all about their truck in and out. Whether they built every bit of it or bolted it together, the torque specs, the valving in each shock, the this the that, Blah blah blah but the truck is in Show room condition because they never actually take it out. That just as bad IMO haha
This hits close to home as i was having this conversation with some friends. I went to a hot rod show with my 56. I am new to the scene and dont know anyone really. Started talking to a guy and i could tell he was kinda dismissive... after about 10 min he asked who built my truck, and i told him all the work i had done with suspension and motor and upgrading shit... his whole demeaner changed after that. This day in age most people want instant gratifcation of having something cool. I am of the opinion from my desert roots, that if it breaks i need to know how to fix it because nobody else is going to do it for me.

My last 3 pre-runners have been mostly bolt on parts. I over putting so much time and money into a trucks.
In my opinion making stuff bolt on is just bonus points. Anyone can weld stuff on, but making things modular adds a lever of difficulty while also making it much easier to prep and gives you the ability to powder coat whole sections of builds. Here are a couple bolt ons as of late. The electrical 1disconnect swaybar mount and a mini front skid mountIMG_7548.JPGIMG_7549.JPGIMG_7551.JPGIMG_7552.JPG

Back