BTF 98 Explorer

I love seeing the different ways that people try building the rear of these things. I like the idea of replacing the frame rails, and it looks like you'll get a little more bump travel too than you would have with a stock frame. How long is the panhard bar? I considered trying to do a similar setup but I was thinking with having the keep the panhard bar inside of the frame rails to avoid the cantilever arms, there would be a lot of lateral axle movement at 18"-20" of travel. Also curious to see the front upper link mount. And do you think you'll need a swaybar?

I love seeing the different ways that people try building the rear of these things. I like the idea of replacing the frame rails, and it looks like you'll get a little more bump travel too than you would have with a stock frame. How long is the panhard bar? I considered trying to do a similar setup but I was thinking with having the keep the panhard bar inside of the frame rails to avoid the cantilever arms, there would be a lot of lateral axle movement at 18"-20" of travel. Also curious to see the front upper link mount. And do you think you'll need a swaybar?
Those are some good questions hopefully @NODNARB could answer. I know he did get more up travel with adding that notch in the frame. We will see if it needs a sway bar or if it will fit lol

How much did you have to trim off the gas tank? And is that because of driveshaft clearance? That's one concern I have, I've acquired a 9" already but wondering if the diff placement will work around the stock gas tank. Don't really want to reduce fuel capacity though.

How much did you have to trim off the gas tank? And is that because of driveshaft clearance? That's one concern I have, I've acquired a 9" already but wondering if the diff placement will work around the stock gas tank. Don't really want to reduce fuel capacity though.
It was minimal due to the pinch rail around the tank would hit the driveshaft. I should have ordered a rear end with the center section off set to the passenger side. That would resolved the clearance issue and both axles would have been the same length.

The panhard bar is definitely a little shorter than ideal but the packaging of all these things moving around under here kinda dictated the length. It’s right around 36” center to center.
Computer says about 2” of side to side axle movement. It’s all blown apart right now to finish welding the linkage pieces so I’ll get a real world side to side number soon and update.

Using the latest in measuring technology… here’s the rough real world numbers on axle movement side to side.. axle is too high to measure at full bump with the plumb bob, but the panhard actually starts angling up vs being flat where I measured so all it’s really doing is going a little bit toward driver side like it does at droop, not adding to the overall number. There’s about 1-2” of droop left so we are definitely well under 3” axle movement side to side.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back