Local Legend Betsy 1418

Spent some time and got the supercharger all de-greased. These pictures are after it was cleaned. It was pretty bad after sitting for like 9 years. Gonna start assembling it to get the motor all sealed up so I can start the plumbing and belt system. Slowly but surely things are starting to come together.
It's actually been roughly 12.5 years. If I recall we picked it up Feb 5th 2011. Only reason I remember is because we were headed out to pick it up when we got the call about my cousin. It's crazy to think we've been working towards this for that long. 😬

I guess I was off a few years. 🤣 bolts showed up yesterday so I will be putting the flex plate and trans back in in the next few days when I get time. I also need to call Holley and figure out what sensors I need for the new setup and get those wired up. Trying to have ir going by October.

Got the supercharger assembled and on the motor. Still lots to do and change for this set u0.
I really don't know too much about motors and fancy parts like a super charger.

Do you have to do anything additional to the cooling system when adding a super charger? I can only imagine more power = more cooling. Or is it better to add an oil cooler to help on the back end?

I really don't know too much about motors and fancy parts like a super charger.

Do you have to do anything additional to the cooling system when adding a super charger? I can only imagine more power = more cooling. Or is it better to add an oil cooler to help on the back end?

I am not super savy when it comes to forced induction motors and mainly know about this motor due to all the research I have done. In regards to the cooling system I sold my old CBR radiator and ordered a new one from CBR that is bigger and will have new updated fans with more flow. I also put in a 170* Thermostat in hopes that it will help. I also had CBR make an air to water cooler for the supercharger. updated supercharger intercooler that doesn't short circuit. I am hoping that all that with the 6 gallon coolant tank we will be good. Lol we have talked about an oil cooler but I prefer not to add that if I don't have to. I do know when it comes to forced induction it is all about keeping Intake air temps down.

A little update. Flex plate and motor plate are finally bolted down. Feel better with the new hardware. Old hardware was from when we first got the truck going.

Attachments

• 20230823_200904.jpg
    20230823_200904.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 46
Some progress updates. New radiator is done but needs to be mounted. Pulley bridge is pretty much done. Need to machine a spacer for the tensioner. New HD belt and idler are in and ready to go on. One the plumbing is done and new fuel pumps show up we should be ready to fire this bad girl.
Getting excited. Hoping to have it out for the clean desert event.

Attachments

• 20231008_174303.jpg
    20231008_174303.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231007_160322.jpg
    20231007_160322.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231007_160244.jpg
    20231007_160244.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231007_160239.jpg
    20231007_160239.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 31
Had to change some direction with what I originally had planned. Intercooler is getting mounted in the front right behind the grill. That means new coolant tank etc. I felt this was best with the placement of the new radiator. I didn't want to block the air flow. We also have to change up the fuel system and run tow pumps to get the correct flow for the motor and chage some of the lines to -10. Alot more involved that I had originally planned but we are getting there.

Attachments

• 20231019_202854.jpg
    20231019_202854.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231019_202900.jpg
    20231019_202900.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231020_120442.jpg
    20231020_120442.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 27
New intercooler tank welded up. Started on the mount for it as well. Monday I rebuilt the brake masters . Gotta get some brake fluid to blend the brakes. Then we can move onto the other items on the list.

Attachments

• 20231101_181442.jpg
    20231101_181442.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231101_183810.jpg
    20231101_183810.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231101_183813.jpg
    20231101_183813.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231101_181445.jpg
    20231101_181445.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 15
Got the pump placement figured out. Things are starting to get tight on the front. Plan to have the intercooler system wrapped up tonight.

Attachments

• 20231102_114848.jpg
    20231102_114848.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231102_120527.jpg
    20231102_120527.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231102_102121.jpg
    20231102_102121.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231102_114844.jpg
    20231102_114844.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 16
She is a runner. It's awesome to say that the last 12 year paid off. Super pumped on the new motor. Sachin did a awesome job on the tune and she is making about 650 crank with 10 lbs of boost. Gotta tidy some stuff up and she will be desert worthy.

Ok, been on a little hiatus. Been busy getting stuff done on the truck and ironing out some stuff. Cleandesert event was a success with a few minor issues. While going down main the truck shut off a few times. It would completely just die. No sputter or anything almost like killing the ignition. It only did the in the big bumps etc. We decided to call it a day as we didn't want to hurt anything. Onece we got the truck back to the shop and talking with a few people we decide to change the crank trigger sensor and clean all the + and - connectors and add a ground from the motor all the way to the battery and not just the chassis. we also added a catch can for the breathers on the vavlve covers as we were getting some oil in the intake. We will also be going out shock testing this weekend in Johnson Valley with dialed due to the Barstow race. RAGE is coming fast so I am hoping we got the bugs figured out and are ready to rock. This truck is pretty crazy with the new power.IF anyone know how to post a video let me know.!20231111_165654.jpg20231111_130109.jpg20231111_145904.jpg20231111_122332.jpg

Long overdue update but rage didn't go as planned and was probably one of our worst and best times in the truck at a racing event. 🙄 with that said let's back track to the week before rage.
We were in a mad dash to get the truck working the best we could for rage. We were all set to go out the week before rage with dialed shock prep and were stressed and excited at the same time. We got the catch can installed (later realized it was a waste of time but we will cross that bridge in future context.) Did some minor prep like oil change new heims on the steering etc. We loaded up the night before and were off early in the AM to meet Kevin and our buddy Taylor out in Johnson Valley off besemermine rd to get some shock turning done. First run out Taylor and I started off alow to warm up the shocks and motor. Truck was feeling good with the power and we we started to move a little faster and started to get droplet of fluid on my helmet visor and thought it was coolant. Rather quickly realized it was motor oil from the Breather on the catch can. Face shield cover in oil we limped it back to camp to assess the situation. I decided to get rid of the filter and put a tube under the truck to get us through shock turning. We went out for another run and the fix was good enough. We were able to put like 5 miles on it and get everything warmed up. Rear was pushing pretty bad and keeping the front down. We only used like 2 inches of the rear shock uptravel confirming what we had speculated. Kevin made some changes and it felt like a new animal. Front was poping like she used to. Out for another run Taylor loaded the rCe course off of his GPS card and we were off. Truck was doing great but the front still felt a little lazy. We moved camp ( wife kids and trailer and Taylor tundra) off a pretty good section of the race course . I got back in the truck solo and started running this section as fast at the truck would go. Kevin making slight changes based on my feed back and watching the truck. This section was pretty decent woops with a slight down hill turn into more woops. We ran it up and down. I think we broke into the 90s on one of the final passes. Pretty crazy to hang the truck through a decent turn at high 80s mph. I was stock to be completely honest. We still had some minor issues as the truck lost slight power going up the hill in the woops. It only did it once and did feel down on power. Idk why I thought it was down on power as this is the first real time driving it with the new motor. This trip was a success and I am very thankful for Kevin taking the time with such short notice to go out with us. Also for Taylor for coming out and showing us some good testing spots. We normally tune in Barstow but there was a two day race out in Barstow and weren't able too. If you made it this far congrats. Lol

Rage was looking better and better we had one last minor issue that after looking at some of the Data logs with Sachin we believed it was a fueling issues under WOT going up hill under load. With rage only a week away we had some figuring out to do. That night we returned I got on summit and ordered another holley mat and some fitting with -10 hose etc. We were going to add duel -10 pickups to each pump. This would hopefully help our fuel issue as we only had one pickup. That Sunday I pulled the fuel Plat and drilled it and got it ready for the new pick up. Parts were scheduled to arrive Wednesday or Thursday. Cutting it close was and understatement as we needed to be loaded up Thursday night ready to leave at 430 Friday morning.

Parts ended up showing up late Wednesday. Thursday was a long day and our buddy Ryan aka Mayday should up around lunch time to lend a had. While I plumbed the fuel system which felt like the 69th time he worked on getting other items knocked off the list. Pulling and preparing the exhaust for welding of the cracks ( I need to add another rubber mount to support the muffler) self induced cracks. Lol we wrapped up that night around 12. I loaded up the truck and we were set to leave. I thing I got a whole 3 hours of sleep that glorious night.

I woke up and was ready to roll. Got the wife and kidos up and we were on our way after dropping off the baby with the inlaws. Insert uneventful 4.5 hour drive to Laughlin. we arrived in Laughlin and headed straight to the pits to unload the truck and get ready for the fun run. We told the kids last year that they could go with us on the fun run so they could get an idea of what the course. Was like. They were super stoked to be able to go with us as were the wife and I that they could share the experience with us. If u have seen the drop off in pictures they don't do it justice. It was a discussion we had over the intercom with the kids about how can people drive off that at any rate of speed. Wife chimes in " I just close my eyes" we all just laugh. We hit a road block where all the vehicles were stopped. It ended up being a super soft berm that was super silty and cars were taking turns. I was a little nervous that I would be that one guy that gets stuck. I went through it a little on the throttle with no issue. We finally made it back to the pits. All in all it took us 45 mine to do the fun run lap. Probably the longest one yet. Other than having to change out the seat belts to the new cam style belts we were ready for registration and tech.

We decide to walk from the.pits to the In n out down the way to get some much needed food. Hindsight we should have just drove the damn truck. On no sleep and walking about a mile we were tired but the food tasted that much better. Luckily our buddy Jason showed up with his motor home and gave us a ride back to the pits. We set up the pit and got the belts changed out. Along with some other minor stuff. By now some of our friends showed up and we were off to registration.

Back