All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Brake lines, fuel lines, and master cylinder reinstalled. Front suspension reinstalled and torqued as well.
PXL_20220412_051126996.jpg
PXL_20220412_051012741.jpg
1 1/8" wrench may or may not be trapped inside the passenger spindle after torqueing the lower bolt. That's tomorrow's problem though.

Suspension, hubs, bumps, shocks, ecu, heater box/HVAC, and steering rack installed.
PXL_20220415_040821593.jpg

Decided to pull the transmission to fix a leaking rear main seal, but found old stripped torque converter nuts in the process. Buzzed on a 1/2" nut, split the pair, replaced the rear main, and bolted them back together.
PXL_20220415_030218210.jpg
PXL_20220415_032408595.jpg

Gotta snag some torque converter nuts tomorrow, slap in the drivetrain, and start buttoning up the front end.

Installed the engine/trans, exhaust, all accessories, driveshaft, trans cooler lines, starter, and engine harnesses. Built the engine cage a bit too close and the power steering reservoir cap was impossible to remove. Grind off two mounting bosses, tilt reservoir slightly, and drill/tap two new holes. Problem solved.
PXL_20220418_035436651.jpg
PXL_20220416_214353678.jpg
PXL_20220418_035558960.jpg
The stock Explorer exhaust is the lowest point on the truck by far, so I fully expect to land hard and annihilate it at some point.

Extended the fuel pump/sender wiring, ran a battery cable from the engine bay fusebox to the battery switch in the cab, ran the main ground from the batteries up to the starter, and assembled the necessary interior bits to test some things.
PXL_20220418_002506380.jpg
PXL_20220418_035406407.jpg

With the electrical system 90% intact, I threw 7 gallons in the fuel cell and primed the system to check for leaks. Lucked out and not a drop. I tried to turn the engine over, but no go. Looks like all of the critical bits are connected, but eh I'll keep assembling and assume the issue gets resolved along the way.

Edit: Now that I look at the first picture, the ground from the engine bay fusebox is flapping in the wind. Kinda need that if you expect shit to work. Regardless, this pile should be running and driving tomorrow night.

Well hot damn, it's been a year and a half but this pile runs again. (don't mind the disconnected trans cooler line pissing ATF all over the floor)
PXL_20220419_042247819.jpg
Even with the engine fully assembled, it still wouldn't crank. Ended up being a combination of a missing PATS module plug and a bad engine ground. Was also having a weird issue with the flasher relay buzzing constantly with the battery connected. Took me way too long to figure out that the hazards were on. I guess with no bulbs installed and no resistance on the circuit, the relay can't cycle properly.

With the electrical troubleshooting done, the goal is to test drive this thing tomorrow night.

Front end fully assembled, fluids topped up, brakes bled, driver's seat installed, and tail lights zip-tied in place.
PXL_20220420_090337529.jpg

Maiden voyage around the block was a success.
PXL_20220421_025951347.jpg
Zero coilover preload front and rear. Looks like my spring rate guesswork was half decent

I'll be dropping off the truck at the glass shop for windshield installation tomorrow. Need to get this thing street legal and re-registered ASAP.

ew. :sick:

k
i
d
d
i
n
g

haha but really really, i really like all the design/tube layout/MEZAZININANINZINE setup/ect. of everything!

honestly, im not really a fan of a lot of the "personal" choices (specific front glass/longbed/ect.). but thats going to be kept to myself. i do really like all the layouts of tubing and stuff though. plus, props for doing it in a tiny garage like yours! haha

KEEP IT UP!
actually, question.

any reason the cage gussets are like 69' long? or is that just the picture/my fucked up brain seeing things???

ew. :sick:

k
i
d
d
i
n
g

haha but really really, i really like all the design/tube layout/MEZAZININANINZINE setup/ect. of everything!

honestly, im not really a fan of a lot of the "personal" choices (specific front glass/longbed/ect.). but thats going to be kept to myself. i do really like all the layouts of tubing and stuff though. plus, props for doing it in a tiny garage like yours! haha

KEEP IT UP!
actually, question.

any reason the cage gussets are like 69' long? or is that just the picture/my fucked up brain seeing things???
Not a huge fan of the front fender louvres myself. McNeil "surprised" me with those. Shipping is so expensive that I'm just going to deal with them though. Probably should have gone with the 10" front fenders honestly. 6" clears full bump, but they're kinda worthless as "real" fenders with so much tire sticking out.

Long bed was just chosen to get some more wheelbase out of it. A bit uglier, but functional. Having the cab cage downtubes land at the bump stop is fairly normal, but the length is a long bed thing. The distance from the back of the cab to the axle is further than you'd see on either a single or extended cab Ranger with their stock wheelbase.

Not a huge fan of the front fender louvres myself. McNeil "surprised" me with those. Shipping is so expensive that I'm just going to deal with them though. Probably should have gone with the 10" front fenders honestly. 6" clears full bump, but they're kinda worthless as "real" fenders with so much tire sticking out.

Long bed was just chosen to get some more wheelbase out of it. A bit uglier, but functional. Having the cab cage downtubes land at the bump stop is fairly normal, but the length is a long bed thing. The distance from the back of the cab to the axle is further than you'd see on either a single or extended cab Ranger with their stock wheelbase.

i know the down tubes from the B-pillar to frame thing. i aint dat dumduml. haha

more talking about the A-pillar gussets. these suckers look HUGE!

PXL_20220418_035406407.jpg

as far as shipping/front fender thing.................. ID BE FUCKING PISSED IF THAT WAS A SURPRISE TO ME!!!!

Back