V8 Solid Axle Ranger

Raceranger97

Well I'm starting a new build so I thought I'd share it here. Some of you may have seen my 22 Bronco build thread and how we beat on that thing pretty hard. Instead of continuing down the road of body damage on such a new vehicle, this Ranger will be for the harder trails the Bronco shouldn't be on.

I've been around this truck for some time now and finally snagged it from an friend that's been letting it sit for a while. Was built a long time ago and used as a prerunner in Mexico Mostly.

Current Specs:
1989 Ranger ext cab
1990 H.O 5.0 Mustang Motor/AOD
Manual Shift T-Case
Explorer 8.8 W/ 4.56
D35 Beams with modified ends for camber
Deaver rear springs with bolt in bed cage and 2 tube bypasses

The plan:
35 spline 9" front and rear
63 chevy spring rear / Radius arm front
Atlas or doubler t-case set up of some sort
Big tires
4xranger4.jpg4xranger1.jpg4xranger8.jpg4xranger2.jpg

4xranger7.jpg

I like the fabbed diffs, the cast centers are a pain to work around. Are you using a high pinion 9in for the front or letting it drag? Why use the Dana 50 ends and not 05+ Dana 60 as the size difference and reliabilty is huge?

I like the fabbed diffs, the cast centers are a pain to work around. Are you using a high pinion 9in for the front or letting it drag? Why use the Dana 50 ends and not 05+ Dana 60 as the size difference and reliabilty is huge?

You referring to the difference in the unit bearings? Likely will build a HP front for it eventually, but I'll stab a LP in it for now. Cant be that terrible if several of my Ultra 4 customers run a LP front.

You referring to the difference in the unit bearings? Likely will build a HP front for it eventually, but I'll stab a LP in it for now. Cant be that terrible if several of my Ultra 4 customers run a LP front.
Unit bearing size, ball joint spread and size, 35 spline outer stub axle, steering angle, 1550 joint clearance. I'm admittedly new to the solid axle world but I hear these are all improvements over the Dana 50. Seems like the only limitation is the inability to run a 5x5.5 or 6x5.5 lug pattern. I have no basis on how the reliability would be on your setup but now seems like the easiest time to upgrade.

Unit bearing size, ball joint spread and size, 35 spline outer stub axle, steering angle, 1550 joint clearance. I'm admittedly new to the solid axle world but I hear these are all improvements over the Dana 50. Seems like the only limitation is the inability to run a 5x5.5 or 6x5.5 lug pattern. I have no basis on how the reliability would be on your setup but now seems like the easiest time to upgrade.
Simple answer is D50s are crazy cheap since as a whole they are so undesirable. BUUUTTT what tipped the scales for me was: Ease of going 8x6.5 or 6 lug, I can still convert it to 35 spline outer and run chromoly 1480 inner/outer shafts and most of the unit bearing housing ends out there for the rear are based off of 99-04 style UBs for all the Ultra 4 guys. Meaning I'll have the same hub all 4 corners. If down the road I'm somehow breaking these parts running trails in a Ford Ranger, I'll do Reid knuckles or something.

Back