School me on broncos!

I personally would stay away from a MAF Bronco. LOTS of parts on that motor and EFI system is 95-96 specific. From my Knowledge on parting out these things is that if you like the front clip on the 92-96 bronco you can swap the front clip onto any 87+ bronco. The 92-96 bronco top has a 3rd brake light AND rear seats have a shoulder seat belt NOT just a lap belt stock like they all did 1991 and older.

Whatever you get if you need any parts, besides motor stuff let me know. I kinda specialize in the bullnose bronco parts. The 1980 Bronco is the ONLY year bronco without a computer, Front TTB (with bolt in passenger inner stub from the diff) and a 9in stock. The 86 - older truck if auto have a c6 trans which is strong BUT no overdrive so gearing them lower for bigger tires hurts with higher RPM on freeway and not good on the mpg.

I personally would stay away from a MAF Bronco. LOTS of parts on that motor and EFI system is 95-96 specific. From my Knowledge on parting out these things is that if you like the front clip on the 92-96 bronco you can swap the front clip onto any 87+ bronco. The 92-96 bronco top has a 3rd brake light AND rear seats have a shoulder seat belt NOT just a lap belt stock like they all did 1991 and older.

Whatever you get if you need any parts, besides motor stuff let me know. I kinda specialize in the bullnose bronco parts. The 1980 Bronco is the ONLY year bronco without a computer, Front TTB (with bolt in passenger inner stub from the diff) and a 9in stock. The 86 - older truck if auto have a c6 trans which is strong BUT no overdrive so gearing them lower for bigger tires hurts with higher RPM on freeway and not good on the mpg.
Is it bad that the parts for a 96 are 96 specific? I would think it wouldn’t make a difference at autozone unless parts are getting scarce??

We really like the 92-96 primarily cuz the interior is WAY nicer. It’s got a super nice dash and door panels. A c6 is definitely out of the question. Over drive is a must as that’s 90% of the reason my ranger never gets used anymore

Not bad being specific just you'll have to buy parts from AutoZone or Rock Auto. You aren't gonna find used parts for them and if you do they're more expensive. Like if you need an ECM they're money because it's eBay and not a big year ranger so supply is low which drives price high. A 96 would be awesome. The prices on used Broncos have been coming down but they will never get down to pre new Bronco release date prices.

Is it bad that the parts for a 96 are 96 specific? I would think it wouldn’t make a difference at autozone unless parts are getting scarce??

We really like the 92-96 primarily cuz the interior is WAY nicer. It’s got a super nice dash and door panels. A c6 is definitely out of the question. Over drive is a must as that’s 90% of the reason my ranger never gets used anymore
early 90's late 80's broncos have some very "retro" interior colors also I found it hard to look past that as well. Ford in 88 lets build an all white bronco and give it a candy apple red interior and not just the carpet. Seats, dash, trim everything red!!!

I have a 95 and love it obd1 with Maf and don’t even worry about smog since I last smogged it guys saw everything was connected and passed me obd2 you’ll have more issues in ca with an older vehicle as stuff goes out with any check engine light you’re failing the test and as for a stock width truck they work awesome only going extended beams on mine because I got a set of 6” glass and have to make it look nice without the use of spacers after one failed on me I have a hard time finding parts that are the 50 state legal. In the end they are all old and require work and maintenance get the one that looks and runs the best and you’ll have a good time like mine I bought from a guy that said the motor was tired and I have not had any problems just a tune up and cleaned all the mud from everything and it ran a lot better

early 90's late 80's broncos have some very "retro" interior colors also I found it hard to look past that as well. Ford in 88 lets build an all white bronco and give it a candy apple red interior and not just the carpet. Seats, dash, trim everything red!!!
Or that nasty all blue interior 😂

Yeah Blue and Red seem more common for older Bronco's. That tan doesn't look bad and what I'd want if I was buying an older Bronco

Having both a 95 maf obd1 bronco and a 96 maf obd2 f150 currently id go for the 95 maf obd1. The 96 there is some goofy stuff being the first year of obd2 that only got ran on 96 5.0 and 5.8 trucks. It makes it a bitch to find certain parts and some they just don't make anymore.

What are the parts and problems associated with the 96 only year that people are mentioning?

My experience with the Brick nose and newer Bronco's is that the ECM like to fail and get corrosion. The 96 ECM is specific to that one AND a lot of places the remanufactured ones are out of stock since they're different for CA or Federal Emissions. Currently Rock Auto has only 1 Calibration # ECM available

96 Bronco ECM Inventory Rock Auto.png

The computer is different, wiring harness is alittle different, timing cover is different, uses a 1 year only 4 tooth reluctor wheel that hasn't been made in a long time for missfire detection. System is super sensitive and turns the CEL all the time.

My experience with the Brick nose and newer Bronco's is that the ECM like to fail and get corrosion. The 96 ECM is specific to that one AND a lot of places the remanufactured ones are out of stock since they're different for CA or Federal Emissions. Currently Rock Auto has only 1 Calibration # ECM available

View attachment 19538
Just went through the whole ecm problem on my 95 luckily places still remanufacture them but they’re are like $500 through those companies

I use the 96-97 platform for most of my builds, the others are the same Ford EEC-IV or V based stuff. All older ECU's can have problems, the 96 hasn't limited anything I've built. No problems with reluctor wheels/balancers or timing covers so far. I use Damper Dudes to modify the balancers when changing weights for builds. Never noticed any super sensitivity with the sensors, the OBD2 is actually better at handling failed sensor input along with flashing and data logging. I have swapped every SD OBD1 system over to the later and don't have problems other than humor errors. Maybe I'm just lucky.

i looked into the bronco platform a few years back but quickly dropped the idea because of the price. i dig the way they look all fixed up and can handle so much. but the price.

i started looking at the same year extra cab f150. would have just as much sitting room on the inside and carry all stuff on the out back. that would keep the noise outside and a bit safer if stuff starts flying around. shorten wheel base.

I would have gone the F150 route too if my kids could fit comfortably in the back of an extra cab but that wasn’t happening. I had the same fears of noise and tools flying around. I’ve done my best to keeps all my tools in tool rolls and bags to keep the noise down. Then I have everything excessively tied down in the back. It’s overkill but better safe than sorry.

i looked into the bronco platform a few years back but quickly dropped the idea because of the price. i dig the way they look all fixed up and can handle so much. but the price.

i started looking at the same year extra cab f150. would have just as much sitting room on the inside and carry all stuff on the out back. that would keep the noise outside and a bit safer if stuff starts flying around. shorten wheel base.
Yeah prices got out of hand on the Bronco but the suv with 4-5 seats with secure cargo space is awesome I can put a 110 in the cab and not worry about it being stolen as well as all my tools and everything I put in is out of the elements making them last longer I wanted a ranger when I got the money but couldn’t beat the price I paid for mine compared to the price of rangers the f150 wasn’t on my mind it looks good but not as good

I was watching an older Terra video this one below. And he’s running 37x10wide tensors and I was wondering if anyone has any input on putting those on a 1988 bronco I would prolly run the 35x10wide just because idk about a 37 yet and I wanna keep it simple but can anyone help with my decision or why or why not I should do it. I’m new to broncos and just joined the forum.IMG_2404.pngIMG_2404.png

Back