School me on broncos!

marcytech

So. Seemingly like everyone else I’m in the market for a nice family rig. The wife and I decided on a 92-96 bronco for a variety of reasons that I won’t bore you with.

I know that the 96 model year is obd2. I know that’s super nice for tuning and diagnostics but is there any other benefits to that year?? Is that something I should try to hold out for Or does it not really matter?

Anything else I should know or look for in my search?

Also if you have one for sale lemme know!

i agree with that ^^^

if i GOT the opportunity to do it all over again, id get another 88-90 gen one to build just because i remember all the shit with mine. done it once before, so it should be fairly easiER to build all over again.

if i didn't consider that though, I'd definitely get a 96', OBD2 just cause...... everything is always better newer, right? hah.
i have no helpful advice.

LOOKS wise, I'd get an 80's one, like Mikey. that's the best looks wise. plus you can find some with a 9" already. (that depends tho,, are you planning on buying a whole different 9", or building one if it comes with the truck?)

EAS and QUICKNESS of building, ME, PERSONALLY, in MY position, I'd get another 88-90 gen Bronco

EAS & LOOKS & $ don't reallllllllllyyyy matter, id get a 96 gen one. more parts, more experience building those ones now from everyone and their fucking dad and dad's dad. only downfall, for ME would be...... fucking everyone has one now, so theyre not really "different" or cool in that sense.

i honestly don't know which gen id buy at this current moment in my life.

post more details of what you're working with. i mean, we know you gotta take your hot ass wife and baby, but what else?
you want to go on more BLGT type expedition trips? just take the family out for a day, drive to desert, smash, drive home? maybe just a somewhat daily'able truck that you trailer out, but have another DD at home that you can rely on?

obviously cheaper is better in most cases. but are you going to be working on like a "pay for 1 stick of tubing every month" budget, or like a "buy a kit all together" type budget?

Personally I think the 92+ broncos look better. ESPECIALLY the interior.
As for what I want one for? I just want something we can use more. Something that’s comfortable to be on the freeway in so that we can do more day trips and far distance trails with a long highway ride home but also somewhat fast in the dirt for when the fam isnt with me.
Eventually it’ll replace the ranger so it’s gotta be a little of everything. Fast and capable yet comfortable and quiet on the highway.
Now I know itll never be what the ranger is in the dirt but that’s kinda the point.

I plan to do a full stock width build probably with all of Cho’s parts.

As you said. 96 is supposed to be best if you are doing any motor mods...

I guess what I have is a 95 with MAF which I guess is also better then anything prior without MAF.

As far as stock parts and whatnot go after that I have no idea. Usually the Eddie Bower ones seem to be kept in better condition whenever I'm seeing them on Marketplace or whatever. And I know you'll be on the hunt for something clean.

Make sure the rear window rolls up and down if it doesn't its quite the mission it looks like to replace the motor. I just bought a 94 and am in love with it already they're fun trucks in stock form.

i am not super familiar with these, but i have a friend with i believe a 95, and he mentioned the smog stuff on it is almost impossible to find and so there was some issue with smogging his...

Yea the 92-96 are definitely my favorite as far as the interior and dash layout. I’ve ridden in so many broncos of all different years/build levels/whatnot over the years. And they are all just so cool and work so damn good “for what it is” of said build level. Leaf springs have never felt so good as they do on broncos. Doesn’t take much to make a bronco work good and be super comfy! Even in the back seats and usually riding in back seats suck but I’ve never had a complaint in a bronco. Gotta love all the bolt-on stuff from so many companies these days too. KOH is the place to be if you need or want any motivation at all to build one LOL

Make sure the rear window rolls up and down if it doesn't its quite the mission it looks like to replace the motor. I just bought a 94 and am in love with it already they're fun trucks in stock form.
Do you need a window motor? I might have one.

noted thanks!
the paint scheme on yours is so friggen cool! any plans with it?

As you said. 96 is supposed to be best if you are doing any motor mods...

I guess what I have is a 95 with MAF which I guess is also better then anything prior without MAF.

As far as stock parts and whatnot go after that I have no idea. Usually the Eddie Bower ones seem to be kept in better condition whenever I'm seeing them on Marketplace or whatever. And I know you'll be on the hunt for something clean.
i might be somewhat convinced to hold out for a 96. well see how impatient i get though haha. i can deal with pretty much any condition on the exterior but its gotta be clean inside for sure. also white. has to be white lol

Yea the 92-96 are definitely my favorite as far as the interior and dash layout. I’ve ridden in so many broncos of all different years/build levels/whatnot over the years. And they are all just so cool and work so damn good “for what it is” of said build level. Leaf springs have never felt so good as they do on broncos. Doesn’t take much to make a bronco work good and be super comfy! Even in the back seats and usually riding in back seats suck but I’ve never had a complaint in a bronco. Gotta love all the bolt-on stuff from so many companies these days too. KOH is the place to be if you need or want any motivation at all to build one LOL
yeah thats what has me sold on a bronco over square body explorer. just so many parts and a BOLT IN CAGE! that actually looks nice! what!!!!!!!
ill be at koh but in the ranger sadly...boooooo

Hey Marcy, this one is super clean and only 43k miles. Not sure if the odometer on these rolls over?
That is clean! The odometer does not roll over on the 92-96 models unless it’s over 999,999.

noted thanks!
the paint scheme on yours is so friggen cool! any plans with it?
Thanks. Yea definitely plans are 1.5" over beams (thats the most you can go with stock fenders and 35's) so im told. With a short course style link in the back. Probably single coil over on all corners. Trying to keep it some what mild but still be able to give it the beans in some rough terrain. Goal is ultimately have a rig I can load the family in a drive to the desert without tow rigs and trailers.

Always made me laugh to think the old ford didn't have the 6th digit in the odometer. Even Fo Mo Co didn't thing their vehicles would make it passed 99,999 miles. (insert pissed off ford owners here)

96 MAF ODB2 is a one year only beast on a lot of things. If you plan to do a bunch of mods and not tune the ecu for it the MAF ecm will handle it better. If you properly tune it speed density is fine.

At this point they are so old I'd just find one that's nice you can afford and not worry so much about the year. Early Broncos have more beef in the drivetrain (C6, 9", ect) and later have more stuff you have to work around on a prerunner (vss, abs, airbags, ect).

If I ever did one again I'd probably just put a 2.5 coilover up front, plate the passenger beam, 2" drop brackets, longer radius arms, deavers and 2.5 in the rear, with 33" tires.

Back