Roger The Raptor

On your rear bump stop question:
Did the stock leaf pack use a lift block? New pack doesn’t? If so that is the reason for the bump stop spacer.

Last edited:
Why do you disconnect the UCA for coilovers..? Way faster to disconnect tie rod end at knuckle, sway bay link (if you have one), and then pull L.C.A. Bolts. The LCA drops down with plenty of room to pull C/O.
Also, any reason you dont have the SPC 86250s? I install those on any F150 I align.

On your rear bump stop question:
Did the stock leaf pack use a lift block? New pack doesn’t? If so that is the reason for the bump stop spacer.
Factory setup does have a lift block, but with a built in bump pad so it bumps off the lift block not the axle tube. The Icon leafs came with the bump stop spacers because they lift the rear of the truck quite a bit. But now with the new drop shackles that lower the truck back down to factory height I was questioning if the spacers were still needed. I think I got it figured out.

Why do you disconnect the UCA for coilovers..? Way faster to disconnect tie rod end at knuckle, sway bay link (if you have one), and then pull L.C.A. Bolts. The LCA drops down with plenty of room to pull C/O.
Also, any reason you dont have the SPC 86250s? I install those on any F150 I align.

It’s much easier to just disconnect the UCA from the knuckle than to mess with the LCA. I have never seen anyone remove the lower to remove and install the shock.

Boss man says the SPC kits aren’t necessary. I’ve questioned him about them more than once lol. But he’s been in the game for over 40 years so I’ll take his word.

That block with the bump stop arm is exactly what I was getting it. The bump stop spacer takes the place of that block spacer.
Instead of cycling you can mash on the truck, make sure to bottom out and see how much shock shaft you have left. I did that on my tundra and ended up trimming my bump stops down 1”

Not removing the LCA, leave the lower BJ nut and taper untouched. Just pulling the two lower control arm bolts to the frame.
Agreed the SPC arent necessary, but they hold that bolt in place better than just relying on bolt torque, especially during offroad mashing. They also allow the alignment to be done without using ratchet straps to move the arms in the oval hole, which lifts the vehicle slightly during alignment then throwing off the readings.

The @Cleandezert Barstow cleanup was such a good time, as always. Roger did great overall, but has a god awful clunking sound coming from the front coilovers (been there since day one of install). I quadruple checked all hardware and set everything to proper torque specs. I can’t figure it out. Not sure what else to do but I gotta figure it out before thanksgiving because the sound is fucking terrifying and annoying.

Woke up the fam at 3:30am. Hit the road at 4am with my buddy RJ (red gen1 raptor)

Just a little cold coming over the Tehachapi pass.

IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

Hey there @charlie brown

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

Rolled into the driveway tonight about 8:45pm. We are all pretty beat lol.

IMG_0163.jpeg

Good times! 🍻

Bed supports showed up today from Krazy House Customs. They weren’t my first choice but my red raptor buddy RJ convinced me to do a group buy, which made them relatively cheap(er). I ordered new bed bolts (not supplied) and will have nuts tig welded on just like I did for the bed rack bolts.

IMG_0228.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0230.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

I also forgot to post that I picked up a Builtright Industries rear seat latch which folds the rear seat back down to gain more in cab storage. I was actually able to cram quite a bit of gear back there.

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

And lastly, want to mention that the beefier tab I welded to the bed rack for my whip worked great for the flag run at the clean up.

IMG_3217.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw your truck out there in Barstow on Saturday. Clean gen 1! I like the bed management that you have out in. I gotta start getting my bed dialed in for off road trips as right now I’m just using some straps and the 4 oem points with a Home Depot container.

What’s the noise you’re getting out of the front end like? I had a few noises to sort thru the front of mine and found a missing backing plate bolt and the one that really threw me was a missing brake pad retainer. Would make all kinds of noise but stopped when I hit the brakes.

Possible the shock is lie on nitrogen or the IFP is hitting one of the reservoir end caps? Had both make pretty bad clunk sounds

Nitrogen is full. I'm almost positive the sound is coming from the springs, more so on the passenger side. The truck had a slight lean to the driver side before install so i cranked the driver side adjusting collar down about 1/4 of an inch to correct the lean, and i left the passenger side alone, so maybe there has to be a shit ton of preload?. The noise is so loud i don't think its anything internal. I took a video for some sound clips in my work parking lot yesterday ill try to post. I was going to shot the video over to FOX to see if they have any ideas. Its only happening on small choppy stuff, or small imperfections in the road. Going down the side road along outlet center during the flag run at about 25-30 mph it sounded like someone was smacking the front end with a hammer lol. Through the bigger holes the sound goes away. I also think the sound is happening on rebound. Ive thought about this way too hard lol but i wish you guys could hear it in person you would definitely know something is not right.

do you still have the stock front coil overs to put back on to100 percent say its the shocks. I'm sure you are right but we use to have a ton of complaints like this from sway bar links when I was at ford.

Let’s hear the clip!
File is too large to post apparently. I sent you a text just not sure if you have the same number i have saved in my phone from years ago lol.

I got ahold of FOX and from what I've explained to them and them listening to the video they think something is wrong internally. They THINK. They said i can ship them out to their Minnesota facility to inspect, but there's a chance nothing internal could be wrong lol. Regardless of what would happen, i'd have to pay to have them shipped there and back. Fuck that. With a 6 day thanksgiving trip next week I don't have time to pull them off and open them up so ill try to get through this trip and take them apart myself another time. Yeah i rebuild shocks on the daily for work, but spending over $4k on a brand new shock package is kinda discouraging when 2 of them show up fucked up (if that's the case). ok end rant, sorry guys lol

Last edited:
File is too large to post apparently. I sent you a text just not sure if you have the same number i have saved in my phone from years ago lol.

I got ahold of FOX and from what I've explained to them and them listening to the video they think something is wrong internally. They THINK. They said i can ship them out to their Minnesota facility to inspect, but there's a chance nothing internal could be wrong lol. Regardless of what would happen, i'd have to pay to have them shipped there and back. Fuck that. With a 6 day thanksgiving trip next week I don't have time to pull them off and open them up so ill try to get through this trip and take them apart myself another time. Yeah i rebuild shocks on the daily for work, but spending over $4k on a brand new shock package is kinda discouraging when 2 of them show up fucked up (if that's the case). ok end rant, sorry guys lol
Unfortunately that sounds likes a more common issue than you would like to think. I just did my first set of shock rebuilds and after the first trip out to Barstow on Sat I am pretty happy with the Icons. Not noisy at all, all the chatter is gone off road and on the freeway they are way better too. Now I just gotta go get the truck in the air and see how they handle that!

I have heard a few raptor guys with noisy shocks out of the box, its pretty shitty they won't send you a new set or pay for the shipping to get them fixed.

Update on front coilovers then I’ll be done with it. After talking to Andrew (84Prerunner) he explained to me that it sounded as if the IFP in the resi was sticking. Willing to try any quick fix at this point, I pulled the resi end caps off and coated the inner bodies with shock oil to allow the new seals to slide a little easier. While in there I checked IFP depth just to make sure it wasn’t smacking the end cap. Put it all together and drove it around the block and I could tell immediately that the noise wasn’t there. As crazy as it sounds I think that worked! We’ll see how it sounds offroad next week, but it definitely did something.

Ok, moving on. Last night I installed my KHC bedside supports and 2 small bolt on D rings to help tie down my little Razor dirt bikes.
IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

Ordered amber covers for my Gravity Pros which will be here tomorrow and did an oil change. Should be ready for the desert next weekend!

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

Pre ran the electric dirt bikes tie down setup in the bed for next weeks trip. If you guys don’t know about these little Razor bikes, you need to (if you are 220lbs or under). They are a fucking blast for around town with your kids or cruising around camp in the desert. About a 10 miles range on my son’s and a 40 mile range on mine.

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 3
Trip report for our Thanksgiving run was posted in “Trip reports” but I wanted to post more pics of the truck here… Each day the truck felt better and better. Coilovers quieted down quite a bit. I did notice i was getting a lot of brake fade driving it hard quickly through various turns so maybe at some point a brake upgrade may be in order. Overall im impressed.

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

IMG_0431.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpegIMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

Last edited:
What configuration do you have your Icon Leaf Pack in? I currently have mine setup with the 10% heavier spring rate but was thinking of trying out the original spring rate

What configuration do you have your Icon Leaf Pack in? I currently have mine setup with the 10% heavier spring rate but was thinking of trying out the original spring rate

I have them in the standard configuration. They do just fine with all my gear in the bed and towing the travel trailer. The BMS shackles really helped with how it sits though. I couldn't imagine how it would sit doing the 20 percent rate with the supplied overloads.

Back