Project G4 AKA Quasi-Ghetto

well, finally got gears done. I think it looks OK? I guess the right person to ask is @Raceranger97 ... as he used to gears I think!!

Had to make my own custom adjustable pinion sleeve... got it set to right about 10in/lbs... which is a alledgedly a little high for used bearings, but good enough. Backlash seemed spot on for tight side at .006. It was between .0055 and .0065 depending on measurement location.

This was pattern I got. I basically used old pinion shim pack depth and pinion gear marking, and did the math for the new pinion gear marking for depth. Shim pack math was within .001 of old set up.

even if he said that sucks, it's already installed!!! Gear oil is trickling in it as I type.

OHPGmwtZ_o.jpg

Ks1ivzq5_o.jpg

rCbXhCEe_o.jpg

well, finally got gears done. I think it looks OK? I guess the right person to ask is @Raceranger97 ... as he used to gears I think!!

Had to make my own custom adjustable pinion sleeve... got it set to right about 10in/lbs... which is a alledgedly a little high for used bearings, but good enough. Backlash seemed spot on for tight side at .006. It was between .0055 and .0065 depending on measurement location.

This was pattern I got. I basically used old pinion shim pack depth and pinion gear marking, and did the math for the new pinion gear marking for depth. Shim pack math was within .001 of old set up.

even if he said that sucks, it's already installed!!! Gear oil is trickling in it as I type.

OHPGmwtZ_o.jpg

Ks1ivzq5_o.jpg

rCbXhCEe_o.jpg
Pattern looks great

^^FUCK YEA!! got lucky, on first try with the pinion depth I guess. The pinion support bearing torque took me a million tries though, so guess it all evened out. lol

well, everything on this build seems to be kicking my butt more. Paint booth was great once set up... but I still managed to suck at painting.

I seemed to get a lot more debris this time. I was blowing shit off from the plastic masking when trying to spray up from botton on edges ... and could also be because I didn't use tack cloths between coats because I didn't have any. And the booth doesnt evacuate air like my home made canopy I used in my backyard last time. That's probably a good thing though... because Meredith would have killed me.

Also got some big runs when trying to spray bottom edge when laying down... and after trying to remove a chunk that flew up. That one is right on top of bedside. Gonna have to sand that one.

I learned it's easier to try and do less parts at once too. I plan to get tack cloths for the doors, cab, and hood (which got way too much debris when i sprayed the base, so i have to do it over)

I figure the metal parts need to be nicer because the amount of prep, etc. Fiberglass fenders just gets all blasted anyway. Love the color though.

Took forver to get booth up. It doesn't just pop up like a bouncy house. you have to tie it off on all the bases and top 4x corners to get it to stnad up. It's like a sauna in there too

d8A0vegW_o.jpg

UDq6hhc0_o.jpg

and just like a tent... no way you can get it in the box when done(box had it AND two blowers in it!!!)

2GOZeIzl_o.jpg

here are actual painting pics:

All set up
BwHSSilt_o.jpg

Primer was incredibly thick... got gun dialed as best i could.
LTF7m5bd_o.jpg

Quickly fucked up the front fenders... spraying white primer on white feners... CANT SEE SHIT and didnt leave enogh space between fenders!! Had to sand that down and redo them the next day.
TttFER2w_o.jpg

time to add clear.

w7L6GGY0_o.jpg

WHOA THERE BUDDY>>> NOT THAT MUCH!

Here is where I tried to remove giant white flake that flew up from plastic masking. fail. This one is right in middle where you look, so have to fix it for sure
ox0WsybX_o.jpg

must have clogged my eyes up with clear. haha. good thing i can sand that off and it's low visibility area.
w94m3KuU_o.jpg

LIke i said though... REALLY like the color in person. Goes from blue in low light to aqua/green in direct light. This clear seems a little thick. I see more orange peel. If i was a better painter I would thin it some.. or get gun to spray it more "wet" That would make it even harder to control runs though. Guess when it's only your second paint job ever.. you cant complain too much. Will still look good in dez until it is sand blasted off.

pHRwMR8R_o.jpg

ZB23mRiP_o.jpg

i bet if i built some mud flaps/rock guards off lower front fenders it would help with the rash on bottom corners of bedsides.

Eventually it gets trashed, even with clear bra installed. 2 ghetto has quite a few miles.. paint is pretty much gone on edge where clear bra didnt cover.

nice, dude. That color is pretty sweet & i think even with a few runs & icicles you're still well above par for off road rigs.

What're the deets on that blow-up? definitely looks like a bounce house at first glance. she a rental?

Not too bad for second job ever! You can also wet down the floor after every coat to keep debris from flying up next time you do it. Keeping a light "tack" coat before you go heavy on clear is the trick. It'll give the clear something to stick to so you don't have the issue of the drips. I don't care how good you are, every painter runs into runs hahaha. Nice work dude! Cut and buff the clear coat and you'll be in great shape!

the floor was pre-wet from the rain each night overnight! hahah.

and thanks. I'm bummed because I think i did a better job the first time!!! DOH! I did have help and oversight from people with experience that time though.

I kept blowing debris off my actual plastic masking I had draped over the saw horses, tables etc. It was dried on sealer and base coat from my coats earlier in day. When i tried to get the undersides, the air pressure from gun would make the plastic flap and fling off chips and shit. My dumbass should have taped down the plastic better.

I also think overspray and not using tack cloth created some issues too. We'll see if I can do better on cab, doors, and hood respray.

I bought a buffer and some expensive sanding pads too for the clear runs...

Back