Mojave Rd. trip plan

I can easily set the date if anyone is willing to make it a Thursday-Sunday deal. March 23-26. I am just about out of PTO (got pretty ill early November and had to take a lot of sick time), so that puts it at the tail end of spring break at the school I teach at. Unfortunately, that's the only extended time off I have until the end of the school year in June.

I was also talking to Maitai at KOH and he can't do the third weekend of any month, so that date should work out for him.

Only thing that really matters, is that everyone has to have communications aka race radios.

So let's start at the beginning of Mojave Rd. and go to Laughlin and party and come back is the plan?

Only thing that really matters, is that everyone has to have communications aka race radios.

So let's start at the beginning of Mojave Rd. and go to Laughlin and party and come back is the plan?

Agreed. And that's what I'm thinking. I'm not much of a party animal, though. I mainly want to see the sites on the trail!

Sounds good! I am a party animal but I'll be mellow ha ha!

Yeah last time I did the trail we just bombed it and it didn't see any of the cool sites.

Last edited:
Soda Lake gets closed with a little bit of rain. It tunrs into a muddy swampy mess. Plus the tire scars from people trying to find their own way never really go away.

The other parts being closed are probably from that week of rain SoCal had. They've finally had time to repair the big wash outs.
This is very true!! Years ago my dad and I were doing the trail in our jeeps and stumbled across an f350 way off the trail in the middle of the lake bed barried so deep his frame rails were laying on the ground and the tires weren't even touching the ground in the holes they dug. This dude and 3 chicks (I know right what a player) had been stuck out there for 2 nights before we saw them. Took 2 winches to get him out.

This is very true!! Years ago my dad and I were doing the trail in our jeeps and stumbled across an f350 way off the trail in the middle of the lake bed barried so deep his frame rails were laying on the ground and the tires weren't even touching the ground in the holes they dug. This dude and 3 chicks (I know right what a player) had been stuck out there for 2 nights before we saw them. Took 2 winches to get him out.
I remember seeing a whole slew of posts a while ago about someone super stuck on a lake bed that wasnt as dry as they thought. Ended up with 5 or 6 other people also stuck trying to recover each other. Someone finally came out with a snow cat style rig and pulled everyone out.

Barstow to Laughlin, resupply, then back the other way?

I just want to find a good spot to park the truck and trailer. Last time I did this I parked at Rob's (RJ Fab in Hesperia) it was quite a trek!

Post up the itinerary/dates/route so I can work on getting a kitchen pass from the wife.

As of right now, camp in Barstow Thursday night the 23rd, so we can start the trail Friday morning the 24th. Take a couple days getting there, and maybe highway back on the last day. I think this will give people the best chance at being able to make the trip.

As of right now, camp in Barstow Thursday night the 23rd, so we can start the trail Friday morning the 24th. Take a couple days getting there, and maybe highway back on the last day. I think this will give people the best chance at being able to make the trip.
Just a thought but, it'd probably be best to post up some camp spots that aren't too far off of the highway so people that can't make it on on Thursday can drop in late and meet up?

So last time we did the trail @sdecurti had us camp here near baker. It was actually a great little spot. Close for Gas as well in the morning. This would be a good spot or one like it to camp on Friday if others are trying to meet up.

Just a thought but, it'd probably be best to post up some camp spots that aren't too far off of the highway so people that can't make it on on Thursday can drop in late and meet up?

So last time we did the trail @sdecurti had us camp here near baker. It was actually a great little spot. Close for Gas as well in the morning. This would be a good spot or one like it to camp on Friday if others are trying to meet up.

Yeah I like that! Is that safe to park our trucks and trailers for a few days? Tommys house sounds safer ha ha!

Ps. I get 4 miles to the gallon so I need to make 1 fuel stop. Last time I filled up in Baker and made it all the way to laughlin. But I only have a 50 gallon tank; but I also bring 10 extra gallons. So I should be good; even with some sight seeing lol

I’m going to try to see. But I’m not sure if I can.

If I can’t, I want to see if maybe in April or early May; anyone wants to do a family trip.
So kid focused… I have a 3.5/7.5 yr olds.

So looking to do a slower trip with lots of camping exploring, and not so much partying. (I’ve had to stop going with the groups I know because they are the party groups and the high speed groups. Bringing my kids is no fair to anyone).

Back