MFing Tundra

Thanks. Don’t be jealous, just go buy some tools and start tinkering. I bought my first welder 18 years ago and just started burning metal together. Get shit done!
What driveshaft mods did you have to do to run the deavers c27?

What driveshaft mods did you have to do to run the deavers c27?
I have a slip yoke near the carrier bearing and the driveshaft was shortened ~1.25" overall. Back when I have Inland Driveline built it, it was ~$650 with a rebuild and new carrier bearing.

I fixed all the broken photo links early in the thread, in case anyone cares.

I took the truck out two weeks ago with some BLGT crew. There were some issues with the trip, but I'll leave that for a potential trip report from @Turboyota as he has a way with words.

I did a quick prep on the truck the day before the trip. My son was a trooper and watched me get shit done.

IMG_0047 2.jpg

We ran rattlesnake canyon up to Big Bear for a total of ~30 dirt miles. A desert truck with AC is the shit, in case anyone is thinking of ditching theirs. A few trucks broke on the trip, but my buddy Marco had to get up to Big Bear to meet his wife so @Kellyex1450 and I went with him. We had no issues on the rest of the trail, despite how gnarly it was. I'm looking forward to the next one where hopefully everyone can make the full run.

imagejpeg_0.JPG
IMG_0053 2.jpg
IMG_3128 2.jpgIMG_0051 2.jpgIMG_0060 2.jpg
IMG_0064 2.jpg

Late lunch at The Old German Deli. It was tasty.

71062793965__1D0D83FA-11DC-465D-9D2F-36130E8D2DDA 2.jpg

Since the truck was so dirty, I decided it needed a solid detail and clay bar - I didn't clay bar the bedsides, since they're peppered as hell anyways.

IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG

I will eventually have a proper update as my front shocks need a rebuild and revalve, my lighting and electrical package still needs to be sorted, and 69 other things before desert season. Stay tuned.

Updates: after running into @DialedShockPrep at the off-road expo, I decided to pull my coil-overs and send them his way for a rebuild and revalve, since the passenger side was slightly leaking anyways. I had a trip planned for 11/3, so I figured a month would be enough time for the shock refresh and a quick prep. I always hated how the reservoirs were mounted, so I decided to have Kevin add 6" to the hoses and 90* fitting at the reservoirs so that I could move them in front of the upper arms. The Fox reservoirs are so damn big that I couldn't mounted them low along the frame as TC usually does. I also had big plans for general maintenance, lighting upgrade, dual batteries, blah blah blah, basically none of which worked out.

I did manage to change the plugs. I assume these were original with 141k miles on them. I've had the truck for 8 years and never changed them.

IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

Kevin cleaned the shocks up with some secret valving and I mounted them sort of as planned. I didn't have a nitrogen tank to charge the shocks, so I wasn't able to crack the fittings loose to clock the reservoirs appropriately. I ended up putting some ABS pipe around the hoses as I knew the tires would hit them. I ran out of time to fully correct the tweaked hoses and paid for it in the dirt.

IMG_0503.JPG

The astute observer may notice oil that shouldn't be on the resi hose below. Turns out I completely fucked the passenger side hose. I loosened the fittings and tried to twist the hose while in the dirt with no luck. It ended up leaking oil the entire trip, drive home, and for 6 weeks in my driveway.

72074520001__3C8B7263-BE5B-4DC3-B608-000F27CFA524.JPG

I took the truck out to Afton Canyon 11/3 for my family trip. Despite the leaking resi, the truck did amazing with the new valving from Kevin. Hands down the best money I've spent on the truck. We rented an RV, which my wife drove out with the kids, and I followed in the Tundra with my bike in the back. It was a great trip - my son's first trip and daughter's second. This was also the first time my wife and daughter rode in the truck since I caged it and my daughter's first time on a dirt bike. This is what desert trips are all about.

IMG_0514.JPG

I'm setting a bad example sans helmet, but I couldn't ride with her with my helmet on.

PB130989.jpg

Where the truck stands today:

IMG_0692.JPG

I switched the reservoirs back to straight fittings, put together a nitrogen setup so I don't have to pay Kartek $30/shock to charge anything, and am going to mount the reservoirs further to the rear over the arm, similar to how they were before but cleaner. I also replace the passenger upper uniball, which was rather loose. I'll paint the wheel wells to clean everything up, since it looks so neglected. I have another Afton trip planned for New Years and I plan to have the truck ready for it. I should have the truck back on the ground this weekend.

Stay tuned.

Keep an eye on your plugs, I read a big thread over on ih8mud about the plugs backing out the other day and initially went "that's bullshit, someone doesn't know how to do spark plugs" but it looks like plugs 6 and 3 on yours may have been loose. I am going to pull mine in a couple of days to prep for the sc and will check them when I do. How did the boots on those plugs/coils look?

Sean

Keep an eye on your plugs, I read a big thread over on ih8mud about the plugs backing out the other day and initially went "that's bullshit, someone doesn't know how to do spark plugs" but it looks like plugs 6 and 3 on yours may have been loose. I am going to pull mine in a couple of days to prep for the sc and will check them when I do. How did the boots on those plugs/coils look?

Sean
I don't recall any of the plugs seeming loose when removed, but now that you mention it that would explain 3 and 6. If they were loose, I have no clue how they stayed in. That was the first time I had ever removed the boots! The boots all looked fine and everything went smooth.

I don't recall any of the plugs seeming loose when removed, but now that you mention it that would explain 3 and 6. If they were loose, I have no clue how they stayed in. That was the first time I had ever removed the boots! The boots all looked fine and everything went smooth.
I am still not 100% convinced, seems like something else is going on but it also seems weird that it happened to so many of these people.

Sean

I cleaned everything up and got the reservoirs mounted before the New Years Afton trip. I shortened the hoses to get the reservoirs where I wanted them. I actually mocked everything up this time so I didn’t run into another tweaked hose issue. After I got the hose length dialed and the shocks reassembled, I charged them and let them sit for a few hours to make sure I didn’t have any leaks. Sure enough, one hose was leaking at the reservoir. I realized when I assembled that fitting I didn’t put any oil on the tapered portion, which I did on the second shock after the first fitting was a pain the tighten. The lack of oil on the fitting ended up tearing the hose within the fitting. I pulled the shock apart yet again and cut 1” off the hose and oiled the fitting - success this time. I was going to paint the shocks and reservoirs, but was running out of time. Maybe during the next prep I’ll make that happen.

B817E0EB-4D4D-491A-A898-E0CFB6D732AB.jpeg

938B3D88-C9C9-4516-AD8F-F564BE091669.jpeg

Previously the reservoirs only had a single hose clamp holding them against two rubber mounts on the frame and they hung down low, all done by the previous owner. I ran them like that for seven years with the only issue being that the upper uniball bolt would kiss the hose. They are now more protected and nothing hits the hoses, plus I used two weld-on reservoir mounts with hose clamps.

I made it out to Afton Canyon for New Year’s. The truck did great and I put ~40 dirt miles on it. I was the only one with a truck and also brought my bike out, hence the lower miles. It was still a good time, despite raining most of day two. My passenger front bedside mount (done by previous owner) DNF’d yet again. I’m going to finally solve the problem as it fails every other trip.

B227F46E-DADF-43A7-AED0-5CD04A957889.jpeg

Overall I’m happy with the truck and just need to put some time and money into it to dial in the lighting, tool box mounting, and other odds and ends that I didn’t do when I did the cage. Despite the little shit to do, the truck is ready to rock on any given day.

Sean
I was going to say the same thing. I had 1 loose on my truck, partially melted the boot on the coil. Dan Vance had one blow out back in the day, threaded back in and good to go again lol

Back