dwphoto

Administrator
What do you you prefer?

Blasting through the desert going over whoops, jumps, sliding corners, etc
53653399567_0cb6e866b6_h.jpg

53279936253_5ff134beb2_b.jpg

52421880483_2415e52bf2_b.jpg

or

going slow in 4wd over some less than favorable terrain, trying different lines to make it through sections.

53876551842_ef2b8a9a7e_b.jpg

53877443476_e215dfd5c0_b.jpg

53877802164_51a0d334e3_b.jpg

What do you think and why ?

I've done both crawling the Rubicon and The Dusy in my old jeeps and go fast high milage high speed desert runs in my "prerunner" tundra. Crawling has its adrenaline spikes and takes you to very remote places that can be beautiful..... butttt higher speeds for me is more of a thrill and ultimately I like the go fast stuff just a little more. Also the building of prerunner type vehicles is very fun imo much better then working on jeeps.

I just want to go at this point, I did the DR classic move of taking a perfectly running truck and modifying something that didn't need to be changed. A "simple 3 month job" is now over a year in progress and still not done.

Sean

I just want to go at this point, I did the DR classic move of taking a perfectly running truck and modifying something that didn't need to be changed. A "simple 3 month job" is now over a year in progress and still not done.

Sean
Ahhhh yes.. the old paper weight 🥺

I want to say Rock Crawling all day long, but that's just because of the lower cost of entry. You can get a hammers ready rig for surprisingly little, and get out and have an absolute blast for less than most prerunner guys have into their shocks. If I had the budget to make my rock crawler go faster I would; I would miss The Hammers if I only had a 2wd Rig though.

I want to say Rock Crawling all day long, but that's just because of the lower cost of entry. You can get a hammers ready rig for surprisingly little, and get out and have an absolute blast for less than most prerunner guys have into their shocks. If I had the budget to make my rock crawler go faster I would; I would miss The Hammers if I only had a 2wd Rig though.
Yea I mean if you buy someone else's project and make it yours both can be done fairly "cheap" if you keep the build modest.

I think back to 2009 I bought my little single cab for $2700... with front kit on it on like 31'' with extra trans and a Re-End.
haha Thing was a blast to drive like that too haha.
4118210250_e0b737e9fa_o.jpg

4wd/Rock Crawler game I guess once you get some Springs and shocks to fit bigger meats in there you can just send it.
but once you start looking at T-Case parts and gears/locker/HD axles. Shit gets pricey in a hurry.

Now days, I lean towards going fast(ish) and seeing more. Wide, fast trails to cover ground quickly. Point to point Prelander style. I did a lot of slow four wheeling when i was younger. I was a member of a couple 4wd clubs when i had my 75 Dodge Power Wagon. My anxiety was always through the roof which made for unpleasant times on the trail. I did LOVE riding co pilot and spotting, but when it came time for me and my own vehicle to make or break it freaked me out. It also didn't help that my wife hated every minute of it. I also never owned any vehicle with a bigger tire size than 35s, and i have never had a tow rig and a trailer to rely on. I guess keeping it simple is a lot more fun for me.

Last edited:
i would say going fast, but most of you would say I am pretty slow. lol

If you know me, then you know I hate rock crawling, I get scared on off camber trail, and going slow just doesn't sound fun.

I just want to blast whoops all day and check out old stuff. I love seeing the ingenuity and hard work of previous generations carving out their place in the world. Lately this has gotten me into sketchier places that the trusty 2wd steed was stretched for. Pair that with the family getting older and wanting to tag along led me to start a 4wd that should be capable of going fast-ish.

So, go fast-ish, seat more, see more variety?

Love both, hence my shit box is setup to do both. I love the technical aspect of crawling, picking that one line that gets you through and then watching other rigs attempt the same line. We still pick trails that give sites to see along the way

Then the fast side gets me. Smashing whoops and rough roads, feeling that power push you back into the seat, launching off jumps.

Thing is, I’m not looking for the absolute best in either case, hence the tracker ain’t built that way and is more a Swiss Army knife. The mid size of it is a big plus for out here in az. Let’s your squeeze through crawling areas without body damage.

I've only done the go fast see more with my prerunners. Now that i'm living so close to the Rocks i need to get a crawler. Plus I want to stay in the DMC so I need Ton's and 40's

Back