Emergency Brake Solution

SaltyMethods

I'm thinking on switching out my rear drum brakes for rear disc brakes.

What do you guys do for a replacement emergency brake?

I’m assuming for your T100? Nobody has come up with an elegant solution for Toyotas yet, You can run a Line lock which works for very short >5min stops, but they will bleed down and put pressure on caliper seals over time.
Some people run caddy Eldorado calipers, which are the same bolt pattern as the common chevy caliper used in these kits, but they’re notoriously unreliable and hard to set up.
The only setup that uses a reliable parking brake is front range offroad’s drotor kit, which requires a full float conversion ($$$) but all said and done is a baller setup. Front range has been hell to get a hold of for the last couple of months it seems though.

Thanks! Ya, I've been searching high and low for a solution and it doesn't really seem to be one. Bummer that there's not really anything out there for the Toyotas. So weird that nobody has come up with a solution yet.

One solution that looked viable to me, was a transfer case emergency brake. It's like a disc brake that bolts onto the drive line. I can't really find anyone that sells it though. Not sure if that's any better than any of the current half-ass solutions.

Last edited:
Thanks! Ya, I've been searching high and low for a solution and it doesn't really seem to be one. Bummer that there's not really anything out there for the Toyotas. So weird that nobody has come up with a solution yet.

One solution that looked viable to me, was a transfer case emergency brake. It's like a disc brake that bolts onto the drive line. I can't really find anyone that sells it though. Not sure if that's any better than any of the current half-ass solutions.

I have this on my 4 runner... can confirm kicks ass will hold the truck in place out of gear on some steep shit...

Not sure this would mount up for you but says they are in stock with limited availability

I used a manual line lock on my ranger when I went from drum to disk. i rerouted the brake line up into the cab and made a bracket that bolted to the center console. Worked perfect and held for weeks.

I have this on my 4 runner... can confirm kicks ass will hold the truck in place out of gear on some steep shit...

Not sure this would mount up for you but says they are in stock with limited availability

I noticed that most (or all) of these say for 4-cyl only. I suspect the bolt pattern and maybe the splines are different on the V6 transfer cases? Or maybe the clearances on the back of the V6 transfer case is different as well? I'll have to take a look at mine and see if there's a way to modify this 4-cyl one to work on the V6.

I used a manual line lock on my ranger when I went from drum to disk. i rerouted the brake line up into the cab and made a bracket that bolted to the center console. Worked perfect and held for weeks.
Do you have any pictures? I guess, I can't picture what you're describing.

Be aware that that all the t-case brake kits only fit RF1A or “gear drive” transfer cases, the bolt patterns are totally different from what you have. And the T100 is not easily converted to a gear drive iirc

The sky’s one is good, the All-Pro one is a steaming pile, I’ve had 3 customers return them to the shop I work at before. The all-pro one is just not well thought out. They used to sell a kit that was exactly like the sky’s but discontinued it for whatever reason

Be aware that that all the t-case brake kits only fit RF1A or “gear drive” transfer cases, the bolt patterns are totally different from what you have. And the T100 is not easily converted to a gear drive iirc

The sky’s one is good, the All-Pro one is a steaming pile, I’ve had 3 customers return them to the shop I work at before. The all-pro one is just not well thought out. They used to sell a kit that was exactly like the sky’s but discontinued it for whatever reason
Interesting... I dont even know who makes the set up I got on mine. 🤷‍♀️

52937435972_fb59eb102a_b.jpg

There was a kit being sold for a while for 1st gen Tacoma/ 3rd gen 4Runner but aren’t available anymore. The OP is military and got stationed overseas so availability ceased. Here’s a link to the kit. Worth a read either way for someone interested in replicating it.

IMG_1245.jpegIMG_1180.jpegIMG_1163.jpegThe 1st gen Sequoia rear axles is an “8.4” tundra width and uses disc brakes with an internal drum parking/emergency brake setup. The bummer is the housing ends are different from every other 8.4 Toyota.

I used a Wilwood universal cable kit to get it set up on my 99 Tacoma. It took some simple fab work to get it all set up. I was able to make it work with stock bell crank and handle.

You’re saying it would hold the truck parked for weeks? We’re doing a line lock on my truck so I have somewhat of a parking brake so that’s good to hear

View attachment 21784View attachment 21785View attachment 21786The 1st gen Sequoia rear axles is an “8.4” tundra width and uses disc brakes with an internal drum parking/emergency brake setup. The bummer is the housing ends are different from every other 8.4 Toyota.

I used a Wilwood universal cable kit to get it set up on my 99 Tacoma. It took some simple fab work to get it all set up. I was able to make it work with stock bell crank and handle.
I was thinking about doing that also. My 1998 100-series Land Cruiser had the same setup which I think is pretty slick but the emergency brake never really held all that well. Maybe it was the weight of the vehicle that was too much for that e-brake setup. What's your experience with it holding your truck on a decent slope?

What kind of simple fab work did you have do?

I took some shots of my transfer case and it looks like it's completely different setup than the old Toyota pickups. Not sure if I even have enough clearance to put in that disc.

IMG_7662.JPGIMG_7664.JPG

You’re saying it would hold the truck parked for weeks? We’re doing a line lock on my truck so I have somewhat of a parking brake so that’s good to hear
Yeah it would hold for weeks, more than 2 weeks I’d probably check it if the truck was stored somewhere on a slight incline. It worked great on the trail and day to day driving having a manual trans.

Back