235k 5.3 LS engine

Doubleggregg

I have 235k on my stock 5.3 in my daily driver 2007 Silverado classic.

Been getting a p0332 code knock sensor code. How hard is it to change these things?

Also, I have money I’d be interested in spending to get this thing freshened up alittle I don’t wanna do the work myself though. What would you do?

Any places you’d recommend doing work in the Temecula area?

Pretty normal for these. They sell a kit with both sensors and a new harness. The way the engine is designed the knock sensors sit under the intake manifold in the valley cover and water gets in there and rusts them out. They can be a bitch to remove depending how far rusted out they are. Its a pretty easy job, couple hours of work at the most. There is some good youtube videos on it.

If the knock sensors are rusted just remove the valley pan to access. FYI, buy decent new ones and make sure they get torqued correctly or they won't work. The cheap Chinese harnesses are fine tho.

Find someone with HP tuners and pay them to turn them off.

The knock sensors like to rust to valley pan AND the harness likes to fail causing the CEL.

Find someone with HP tuners and pay them to turn them off.

The knock sensors like to rust to valley pan AND the harness likes to fail causing the CEL.

This is ok for a race truck or something used similar but I don't recommend for a street car run on 87. You'll end up with a lot of pinging or reduced mileage / efficiency. It's simple to fix and it probably needs intake gaskets anyways.

So, I have been using 91 octane and have driven about 1200 miles since my last CEL P0332 came on. I have seen that code pending on my scanner, but it goes away a day or two later. I normally see the code pending after some time driving on the freeway. But most of the last 1200 miles has been city daily driving.

Does any of this information throw any ideas about what could be wrong or if i really do need to replace knock sensors and pig tails?

I've done several of these over the years. It's worth your time to just replace them, rather than continually diagnose and hypthesize. A little extra money on ACDelco parts goes a long way for peace of mind; I've had issues with Chinese pigtails twice, and it's worth your time to use RTV on the sensor boots.

Back