1985 k10 prerunner ideas?

6.2slowboi

Hello all I'm new to all this to bear with me. I have a 1985 gmc/chevy k10 with a 6.5 diesel paired to a th700r4. Front and rear axles are gm 10 bolts with the gov bomb (eventually that will change). Im just graduating college, so money is tight, I've been obsessing over building this truck to run in the desert/pismo. the plan for now is to get 62" deaver springs and run those in the rear and maybe run some 58" in the front. with 2.5 bypass shocks front and rear. Now I know its pretty blasphemous to even attempt to run front and rear leaf spring but I'm hoping to make this more of like a shot to mid travel kit. I've heard about converting to leaf under axle but i havent found anything about if its safe to do that on the front axle, radius arm/coilover kits are kind of out of the price range but if any of you think that will be better cost effective long term I'm open to ideas. Thanks for the help!

Ok so you basically aren't gonna really find a "kit" for that truck besides Blitzkreig makes a radius arm setup for front end to convert to coilovers. For the leaf springs you will have to do new hangers and shackles for the rear. I would get a weight and contact Deaver for rear springs. I know the C85 Silverado springs would work for your truck as well.

Doing spring under results in leaf springs that have a lot more free arch than spring over so they can swing more travel and keep axle wrap under control as well. Essentially you can get front leaf springs to work and it will be more capable than stock BUT it will not work as good as a coilover up front. Unless you can do ALL the work yourself there isn't a budget option for that truck.

yeah most if not all the work is going to be done by me and my buddy, mostly shooting for a mid travel kind of situation just something that does good on street and can run some speed at pismo and lighter trials. i looked into the coil overs but i think even used they are out of my budget
Doing spring under results in leaf springs that have a lot more free arch than spring over so they can swing more travel and keep axle wrap under control as well. Essentially you can get front leaf springs to work and it will be more capable than stock BUT it will not work as good as a coilover up front. Unless you can do ALL the work yourself there isn't a budget option for that truck.
is it safe to run a axle flip on the front axle? ive head differing things here and there.
all this is overkill jut to get the truck to ride nicer but go big or go home right?

If doing leafs up front I'd keep it spring over and better shocks. Rear I'd go spring under 100%. You should be able to get springs and a 2.5 smooth body shocks for price of used coilovers.

If doing leafs up front I'd keep it spring over and better shocks. Rear I'd go spring under 100%. You should be able to get springs and a 2.5 smooth body shocks for price of used coilovers.
why spring over on the front?
Def spring under on the rear, ill probably need a bed cage for the rear shocks tho right? i dont think i have enough to cage up the whole truck so theres that.
Alot of this is based off the valvoline baja truck they made a couple years back that wsa front and rear springs, i wont be going as hard as those guys (if i have the budget i would..)

you think smooth body would be good? I know i dont need anything like a triple bypass or anything (even if they look cool) how about the vertex shocks? you think i could get away with those?

Smooth body is plenty and bypass shocks are out of your budget is coilovers are too much since they're more expensive. Spring under on front would work but would require a big arch leaf and heavy duty to handle the weight of the engine up front. Draw back of spring under up front is less ground clearance and making steering fully clear at full droop and turn.

I believe Deaver will make you whatever springs you want for front/rear BUT they will not be "budget" i'd imaging 1300-1500 a set.

ORD has some springs as well and are an awesome research to call and ask questions about what you want to do. Theyre a go to Chevy truck company with awesome reviews and involvement in the industry.

So back to your budget. I do not see front AND rear leafs AND shocks being done for under $2500 with using and shopping for all used springs. 62" deavers used is $7-800, 2.5 smooth bodies usually $500. So figure $12-1300 per end with all used parts, NOT counting brake lines, limit straps, new u-bolts, hardware etc.

Also where are you located and what desert are you wanting to use this thing in? Barstow leaf front will be limited unless you do custom pack and spend the money to replace broken leafs when you beat on it. If wanting a decent trail runner that is smoother than stock than this is achievable.

I have a set of G26 Deavers (6" lift) same as the F87 but 2" taller. I know guys that have mounted them spring under and work similar to a C85. Chris mazzulla did this on a few trucks back in the day. Ill sell them cheap if you want em.

Blitzkreig Front and Giant 64 Kit rear is the best setup for your truck. Buy once and cry once with these prerunner deals. So get a good job with you college degree and save up and collect the good parts as you can afford it.

how good are your fab skills? is this your DD? how much cash do you have available for this thing?

Yeah keep it running and collect parts for the next step. Do front or rear and drive it. When you fully tear it down to do the build motivation will fade and truck will be sitting and look like to much work to easily get it back driving.

So back to your budget. I do not see front AND rear leafs AND shocks being done for under $2500 with using and shopping for all used springs. 62" deavers used is $7-800, 2.5 smooth bodies usually $500. So figure $12-1300 per end with all used parts, NOT counting brake lines, limit straps, new u-bolts, hardware etc.

Also where are you located and what desert are you wanting to use this thing in? Barstow leaf front will be limited unless you do custom pack and spend the money to replace broken leafs when you beat on it. If wanting a decent trail runner that is smoother than stock than this is achievable.
Yeah money is always the issue isn't it XD the truck had a 4" lift when I got it so I'm thinking those lines are long enough to run it. I live in fresno/clovis there's a couple of guys that run out here, friend of a friend situation, I'd like to run with them one day.
Would i still have to run limiting straps even with leafs? i thought they kinda make it its own limiting strap?
I have a set of G26 Deavers (6" lift) same as the F87 but 2" taller. I know guys that have mounted them spring under and work similar to a C85. Chris mazzulla did this on a few trucks back in the day. Ill sell them cheap if you want em.

How much would be willing to part with them? I guess the major question too is: the front end would be harder to do so do the front end first right? do you think axle flipping the front would be good to fit those?
how good are your fab skills? is this your DD? how much cash do you have available for this thing?
fab wise im a little here and there, but between all my buddies im sure we could figure something out. Right now its my town truck and i mostly daily my motorcycle...
Nate@Blitzkreig had this front kit and he has used my 64" spring kit in the rear in the back and the truck works very well!
the only issue ive found with the kits, at least for the front end is that the hoops for the coils wont be right with the exhaust manifold and turbo, at least to brace it effectively on the passenger side
Build it as you can afford it.
Keep the down time to a minimum so that you can continue to enjoy it and stay motivated to keep improving it.
oh for sure! this was mostly to get a shopping list so i could see where about to start
Blitzkreig Front and Giant 64 Kit rear is the best setup for your truck. Buy once and cry once with these prerunner deals. So get a good job with you college degree and save up and collect the good parts as you can afford it.
yeah thats the ultimate plan, too bad what i was going to do after college has too much red tape, but one step at a time right

Thank you guys for keeping me updated and letting me ask all my questions!

I believe Deaver will make you whatever springs you want for front/rear BUT they will not be "budget" i'd imaging 1300-1500 a set.

ORD has some springs as well and are an awesome research to call and ask questions about what you want to do. Theyre a go to Chevy truck company with awesome reviews and involvement in the industry.

how do they compare to a set of deavers? pretty much the same? i know ill beat a dead horse saying this but once i see dollar signs makes my stomach do a twist

I'm not sure how they compare to deavers but most leafs if they are multiple thinner leaves they work better than lift springs. I would also run limit straps since they're cheap insurance at $25 per corner.

I'm not sure how they compare to deavers but most leafs if they are multiple thinner leaves they work better than lift springs. I would also run limit straps since they're cheap insurance at $25 per corner.
some research someone with money should do XD the only reason i was thinking deavers was because of how many people use them the used market has some lying around

If you can find deavers go for it. The main thing to consider with any leafs is if they aren't correct spring rate they won't work that great. No different than I stalking coilovers with too stiff or soft of springs, but leafs are a bit harder and more expensive to change spring rate than simple coilovers.

If you get deavers and mount them on truck loaded as you are gonna use them and measure axle to bump. Than they can usually add or subtract spring to increase or decrease ride height as you need.

Back