What to pack? Tips-tricks

dwphoto

Administrator
What do you bring on trips?

what I pack on most trips in the Mouse...

13840783333_2e324f10d5_h.jpg

In the Bed

2 spares
2 batteries
Recovery gear( tow strap or 2, a d-ring or 2 is pretty key, Winch Controler,
Jack that works!
Block of Wood for said jack. ( key in the sand)
Full size Shovel ( come on if you have to dig. you really want to be using a builder bob shovel)
Spare DriveShaft
Trasharoo ( pack out more than you packed in)
Water jerry 5 Gallons emergency water ( raditor or drinking)
2 other 1 gallon Jugs drinking water ( I drink out of or fill up gatoraid bottles and throw them back in cooler.)
Gas Jerry cans 5-10 gallons ( depending on trip)
CO2 tank( make sure its full or at least half full) Make sure you have air chuck and hose or tank is worthless( as me how i know )
Tent cot
Foam to sleep on( Stepping up to an air mattress! next trip)
Sleeping bags
Camp Chef Stove
Large propane tank
Main Cooler (generally buried)
Day Cooler Quick to grab drink or Lunch
Cooking Pelican Case
Food Pelican Case
Main tool Pelican case(make sure you have everything you need to fix your truck. If you dont have anything 18 mm on the truck dont bring the socket. and the open end wrench )
Zip Ties

Oh yea and Firewood!

In the cab.

Under driver seat in tool bag

Meds
Reg/ Insurance
Flashlights ( usually 2)
Quick tools in a wrench roll ( dykes, Flat head, Phillips, Crescent wrench, channel locks, 1/2 drive ratchet)
and a cliff bar or something
Iphone charger
Knife

Under pass seat
Winch controller
Radio Hand held mic ( incase head sets take a shit)
Sunscreen
Passengers wallet or what ever
Leatherman

Behind driver seat
In a see through container:
Sockets for light bar and lug nuts.
Valve Core wraped in packing tape
Valve core removal tool
Low pressure tire gauge for 20 psi and below
Tire Plugs
Tire plug tools.
Spare hood pin
Spare seat slider pin
JB weld kit

Water bottle of Windex
Paper towels (a must with out wipers )
water bottle of power steering fluid
Bottle of brake fluid.
3 ft piece of Brake line zip tied behind tube.
Goggles/headlamp around head rest

Sweatshirt and or jacket is also stuffed in there somewhere
Camera Gear ( small back pack) Quick access

the middle you will find Olive's zone.
her bed and bag with food ect.

behind Passenger side,

First aid kit.
Funnel
tows strap for quick access.
TP and wet ones
passengers bag /jacket
Duct tape
Goggles/headlamp around head rest

Ipad is mounted infront of passenger with GPs Antenna
HeadSets are wrapped around V bar

Up front in the Engine cage
Spare belts zipped to front core support
Spare started nut zipped tied to the cage.

Campchef stove for the win two burners. It's massive but I love to cook. it's pretty much the ultimate grill for camping IMO .

I like to cook for everyone when we go out. So lets me make a ton of bacon, Sausage, Ham, Potatoes, eggs, pancakes, and Coffee in the AM. I've made carne asada,Burgers, Brats, Pasta , Soup . etc

1017403_10152629364896501_9169184369274353314_n.jpg

20140413_083347.jpg

13871775704_84ba4e1439_b.jpg

IMG_4874_zps89aabe34.jpg

Coleman stove is solid cause its way more compact. This thing had better burners than my kitchen at home lol

This BBQ wise a few of us Note book grill is pretty epic also 20 bucks at sears. Tri tip, Asada, Chicken, brats, you name it we have probably burned the shit out of it on this thing... yea but you have to bring charcoal.what if we run out or forget it or lighter fluid.... GTFO hot coals outta fire and bobs your uncle.

4967086774_e26a834279_b.jpg

Coolers

I was using Igloo max cold for that past 7 years.... Finally Decided I was over ice lasting a day. Dropped some cash on the Tan Pelican cooler 35 Qt so far love it...last few trips it has held ice for 2 days after I'm home. What I like even more than the ice holding is the tie downs on this thing... you can have it tied down and still open the lid with the latches. no need to dick around with undoing 2 straps to get a Dr pepper any more.

13897155270_3547bd70ed_b.jpg

14107383234_58b2be0736_b.jpg

Storage for Equipment? Thought you'd never ask.
Pelican Cases FTW..from RC cars to dead hookers
Tool, Cooking stuff, Food are normally the 3 I pack every single trip.
The big ass one I have put my 5th scale RC in before...

14036235009_209892c8c4_b.jpg

Packed like a tuna can...

Has never been so fun
13841289114_8d315e0f24_b.jpg

I'm super minimalistic, so I tend to not pack very much. But... a few tips and tricks I've learned over the years that are tried and true in my book and worked for me across the country multiple times are as follows...

A solid duffel bag for fresh clothes, layers, phone chargers, power bank, hygiene kit, medicine, etc. is key. That and Sterilite containers work great for everything else and cost like $20 a pop. They come in plenty of different sizes and stack together well. Still haven't found a need to go crazy with overland style organization. Then again, they typically live inside of my vehicle too so there's that.

20210228_145103-2.jpg

Another one of my favorite things to bring along is my jetboil. I don't really recommend dehydrated meals too often as they're packed with sodium since they're meant to be a backpacking replenishment meal, but they're great in a pinch and use very little water. They just take up a tiny amount of space and it's usually my go to method for quick trips that I don't really feel like packing a lot for.

IMG_20190417_064736_039-2.jpg

For water I use one of these guys. I've found 2 gallons is enough to last me for a few days at a time and not have to worry about conserving too much. That includes brushing my teeth, cooking, dishes, washing my hair, and filling my drinking water. Worst case scenario, I always recommend keeping water purification on you. I've personally found the Katadyn BeFree filter bottle thingy ma bob is the most convenient and versatile for the job.

bt220ba-01_1.jpg

8018007_Befree0.1L_Trinkflasche_001_1.jpg

I'm sure everyone has their staple items figured out such as a tow rope, shovel, flashlight, etc. etc. so I'll leave out all that stuff. Another personal tip of mine, and personally one of my favorites, is I like to stop and grab fast food for the night of and the following morning or day. Like Del Taco or a couple McDouble's. Sure they don't have the greatest shelf life, but when you're hungry and out in the middle of nowhere and don't want to cook, you're set.

Crack your eggs before hand and throw 'em in a washed out Gatorade bottle or something.

For dogs tie a line from two trees and clip their leash onto that so they can walk around without getting tied up on chairs, etc.

Headlamps look dorky, but I'd take a headlamp over a flashlight any day.

For extended trips, truck stops almost always have showers for ~$10-15 and make you feel a million times better and ready to go all over again. They usually provide towels, have an outlet in there, a private shitter, and at least one form of soap pump at your disposal. And, no, they're nothing near as disgusting as the public restrooms are. I recommend Pilot truck stops.

I'm sure I could think of a million other things, but that's all I've got off the top of my head right now.

I drive a Toyota so nothing….Lol

Basic tools, impact and big breaker bar for wheel studs, basic stuff like belts, u joints, a couple special tools like big sockets for the hubs and flanges for the diffs. Fluids. Pretty minimalistic. Still have the factory Toyota jack so I just carry that and a block of wood. If I’m going out for a trip that’s going to be over 100 miles of dirt or an overnight I pack more stuff a camp stove with a propane tank, ice chest with a bunch of food and water. It’s pretty dependent on what we’re doing and where we’re going. Have a duffel bag full of tools and parts for big trips or a basic tool toll for local stuff.

after making this thread... the other day kinda lit a fire for me to clean out my shit box.

Amazing how much shit collects after a few trips. Especially now that I flat tow this pile out mostly.

52343448101_d4c794f34b_b.jpg

Funnel for dumping gas can and also Super Siphon kicks ass so I can leave the jerry can strapped in and refill tank.
52342495577_c3cb433d29_b.jpg

52343448206_b258f32723_b.jpg

This laminated radio channel list has been pretty money over the years.
52343694313_4f15c6abd6_b.jpg

Not anything I've carried but I always planned to make an excel sheet of what I carry and where it goes. That way I can have it on my tablet or my phone and search for the little things like a starter solenoid, relays or hiems.

For me a lot of those items get put in the truck and not used for years and then I forget I even have them in the truck all together... so if I have a sheet that I can search to see if I have it would be best. Also would stop me from searching the garage for an hour when it's been in the truck the whole time.

tool bags?

I need to get the 4runner dialed in... leaning towards a few dirtbagz tool bags.

I have one of these in the mouse that has served me well.

What's everyone runnning?

I like this thread, makes me think about some spare things i didnt have.

Heres my list

INSIDE behind rear seat

• Artec fluids holder with gallon of engine oil, gallon of coolant, 2 quarts trans fuild, quart of power steering, quart of brake fluid, quart of gear fluid, can of wd40
  • 2 ammo cans under fluids holder, one has spare scrap metal, spare bolts and nuts, welding gloves, welding glasses, spare inner and outer tie rod. other has welder leads and missle rod
  • 10lbs CO2 tank (down sized from a 20lbs as is heavy and i dont use it nearly as much anymore)
  • mounted to the side of the CO2 tank mount is 2 spare cv axle shafts for the front end
  • 3rd ammo can next to co2 tank with air chucks, ratchet straps, air hose coil.
  • strapped on top of 3rd ammo can is angle grinder and 90* drill, wrapped up in a full size blanket
  • in the void behind 3rd ammo can is drill bits and 15ft extension cord
  • yeti 45qt cooler to the pass side of all that
  • tool bag infront of yeti with wrenches, sockets, breaker bar, tie wire, spare heims, screw drivers, torx bits, ratchets, jumper cables, DVOM, spare cv's (this bag switches between the tracker and my sand car), spare cv boot, hose clamps, tire plug kit, spare plugs for both rigs, spare fuel pump, allen wrenches, cresent wrenches, extra fuel line and small rad line, and some rags (may be more im forgetting lol)
INSIDE up front
  • pass side front seat, under it is a 2k watt inverter to run drill, grinder, cooking stuff.... may have been used with a blender to make margaritas in the middle of mexico...
  • driver side front seat, under it is an umbrella, winch controller, spare belts
  • glove box has tire deflators, air gauge, spare fuses, spare vac line, socket for lug nuts, JB Weld
OUTSIDE rear tire carrier
  • Full size spare tire, fire extinguisher, 5 gallon spare fuel (only if needed for trips)
OUTSIDE under hood/front end
  • 8K warn winch with syn rope
  • premier power welder under the hood

All that pretty much stays in the rig at all times unless i put the tool bag in the sand car.

if its an overnighter, its generally just me and/or the wife. We have not tried it as a whole family yet. So the back seats get folded down and we put:
  • tent
  • small fold up table
  • egg crate with cooking hardware (small single burner stove, tin cup, silverware, pan, propane, other misc stuff
  • 1 or 2 roll up foam mats
  • 1 or 2 chairs
  • sleeping bags
  • clothe bags
  • pillows
  • flat of water
  • stash dry foot under folded down rear seats. there is a nice little cavity to put things there and not get detroyed.

i have a roof rack but i dont like the look nor all the weight up there. it saves me 0 time getting into things inside the tracker as well. I am very limited on storage in this thing so i prep in way i feel 99% of the time i can get myself home (i do solo adventures as well). if not, i have enough provisions to get me through a few days. I also make sure someone has a map of my route.

if i were to add anything, it would be a spare rear driveshaft, get my rear spare hub setup together that will hold my spare tire and a fold up shovel. if i loose a t-case, trans or engine, im fucked no matter what. the rest i feel i can patch back together or limp home.

I actually need to redo all the tools, spare parts, recovery gear setup in my bronco. If I remember, I'll make a list of what I end up doing and why with pictures. Stayed tuned.

wow.. you guys carry alot. i only carry that much on a baja trip. otherwise i travel light. motor performance sucks when loaded up full with big ice chest and full on point to point camp gear.

wow.. you guys carry alot. i only carry that much on a baja trip. otherwise i travel light. motor performance sucks when loaded up full with big ice chest and full on point to point camp gear.

Mine just sounds like a lot. Having a boosted engine help mitigate performance issues lol

Y'all missing the most vital thing to bring... And, if you play your cards right, it's the ONLY thing you'll need to bring. And that is some version of a boom stick with a few mags loaded and ready to go.
That and a strong belief in the "Viking Rule of Acquisition" which clearly states;
What's yours, is mine.
What's mine stays mine.
Whatever is burning, you keep.

I'm joking ( kinda).

But my load out depends on if I'm just doing a day trip or if I'm going out on a run for a few days. And it also depends on if I'm leaving the US or not.
But the basics have been pretty well covered... ie tools, spare tire(s), drinks, fluids etc etc. I also will usually run 2 radios. One of which is field programmable. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been out there and needed a frequency that wasn't programmed into my radio. I also carry a small CB radio also for emergencies. But one of the most important things I carry is an IFAK and usually 3 tourniquets. Most basic first aid kits don't have them and they won't come with trauma items like hemostatic bandages and bleeding control items or chest seals. And when seconds count and help us hours away it's up to you. Whether it's for yourself or someone else. Also some form of firestarter and kindling. Not so much in the open dezert since there really isn't much to burn, but for any other time it can be a godsend. And then the basic change of clothes, usually double up on chonies and socks. And fixing to go back to packing my little AR-7 in the cubby hole in the back. Again, it depends on where I plan to go and what / who I'm going with.

Heer_o, I 2nd your amendment you boom stick theory!! I went on a day trip last weekend and totally forgot to grab a pistol on my way out the door and I was too far from home when I realized it. Felt naked and vulnerable with out it even though I have never really needed it it is always good to stay strapped!

Side note one time years ago I was on a trip to the same place I just went to last weekend and came across a cow that was paralyzed on the side side of the road with a dead calf hanging out of her back side and clearly in pain and suffering. We were 20+ miles from the paved road and 10 miles from the ranch headquarters she likely belonged to...I jammed back to the ranch and knocked on the door walked around barns hollering for somebody and couldn't find a sole so I went back and kindly put that cow out of her misery. Luckily I kill livestock for a living so I knew exactly where to shoot. Glad I had my pistol that day!!

how many of you guys need to re-set your preload when fully loaded? i need to add about 2.5" of pre load in the rear and for a long baja trip, i will take some out of the front.

if i dont do this, i always come back with some gnarly rock hits. last baja trip i was enjoying the ocean view while pounding up a hill and smash one of my beams on a rock. big dimple. just glad it did not bend the beam or rip a hole.
i need 37"

how many of you guys need to re-set your preload when fully loaded? i need to add about 2.5" of pre load in the rear and for a long baja trip, i will take some out of the front.

if i dont do this, i always come back with some gnarly rock hits. last baja trip i was enjoying the ocean view while pounding up a hill and smash one of my beams on a rock. big dimple. just glad it did not bend the beam or rip a hole.
i need 37"
Our Bronco has 2.5” air shock coil-overs and there’s a pretty dramatic difference in required pressure (to maintain static ride-height) between a standard load and support load. I’ve never made the time to weigh it, but when we go to Baja, the additional gear load in is probably 3-4 hundred pounds… adds up fast and certainly makes the car handle differently.

Anyway, short Answer, yes. Kind of 😂

What do I take…? Haha. A lot!

For anything more than a couple hours away from home, A LOT, but I try to pack smart and Bronco gear is only bronco gear, which means it’s got it’s own tool set and various other gear… gets expensive. But, it saves me a lot of time and pre-trip packing runaround, which means I can spend that time with the family or working, generating income, instead. It also means I can be ready to roll in minutes, even if the car is not already loaded.

All gear stays loaded in Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes. I recently upgraded to their new Pro boxes... Love those.

For spares, it’s basically anything that will stop me from moving. All the way down to a complete distributor, ECM, and a handful of sensors. One of the boxes below is dedicated to spares.

The tool kit is pretty compact but packs a punch. The criteria for making it into the tool kit is it must serve a minimum of two purposes and preferably three or more. If it’s a single purpose tool, it better be important or I’m leaving it at home… one of the boxes below is dedicated to tools.

Attachments

• 16E7621C-10CF-4452-BF72-AAEBF76DDB68.jpeg
    16E7621C-10CF-4452-BF72-AAEBF76DDB68.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 12
My list for the Rover
110 hcpu parts list
Under Driver SeatUnder driver cushionUnder passnger cushion
Duck TapeRaduis arm bush at frame 2Radator cap
Fan ClutchARB spare partstire plug kit
P.S beltZip TiesRadator hose clamps 4
Fan beltBailing Wire
2 motor mounts
jack with handle
Hubnut tool
Lift pump 200tdi
Front CV joint
Behind seatsunder pickup bedIn pickup bed
winch controlerFront and rear half-shaftsTire
glovesFront driveshafthi lift jack base
rain tarpRear Driver shaft
air hoseSleage hammer
ARB deflatorTool bag
Spillkitbrake light bulbs
Lower radator hoseFuses blade and glass
ham radio manuall-r heim joints
RTV - jb weld
Drivershaft bolts
axle flange bolts
deep water fording plug
pipe tape
razor blades
spare wire and wire conacctors

Our Bronco has 2.5” air shock coil-overs and there’s a pretty dramatic difference in required pressure (to maintain static ride-height) between a standard load and support load. I’ve never made the time to weigh it, but when we go to Baja, the additional gear load in is probably 3-4 hundred pounds… adds up fast and certainly makes the car handle differently.

Anyway, short Answer, yes. Kind of 😂

More info on this coilover air shock setup?

So, this is my favorite thread so far. I never realized how unprepared I am when I go out until now...

Since I daily my K5 it stays in pretty good mechanical shape so I don't carry much for spare parts. Usually a spare ignition coil, ignition module, and fuel filter. Still rocking my factory jack and a full size spare rigged up to my stock carrier. I do like to have a handful of of 12 and 10 gauge wire with a small terminal kit in the mix with my hand tools. I usually just grab my power tool bag which has a 1/2" impact, drill, sawzall, light, small 1/4" impact, bits, blades, etc. to throw in. Tow strap, jumper cables, TP, and a towel always stays bagged up in the void behind the spare. I would like to get everything I carry more organized though, when I get a rear bumper built and get the spare moved out of the cab I plan on building something behind the rear seat so I can strap all my stuff in real well. In cab projectiles are not cool... been there before!

The filler neck in my fuel tank is cracked so I have to replace the tank soon, I have been thinking about adding a extra pickup in the sending unit for a redundant external fuel pump that I can plumb in. Keep it simple, couple valves and a pigtail to plug in to the existing fuel pump wiring and back on the trail.

Everything else I pack is usually pretty minimal. I make sure I can start a fire, put out a fire, a little 2A equipment, food, water, and most importantly, beer. I do need a cooler upgrade from my 80s steel belted coleman though. I was really hoping all the stickers I put on it would up the R value but now its just a 650 horsepower ice melter.

Back