What to pack? Tips-tricks

i am freaking impressed with how much crap you guys bring. The question is how often does most of that stuff get used?

Myself I bring 2 small tool bags, a first aid kit, and a tow rope. The theory is to drive my truck at a safe speed i don't break it. (probably why Elliot broke me off in the whoops)

But seriously in the last 20+ years, only had a few occasions where we had to bust out tools. and only times trucks got towed back were for things that nobody would have spare parts for liked being rolled or timing belt blowing up.

i am freaking impressed with how much crap you guys bring. The question is how often does most of that stuff get used?

Myself I bring 2 small tool bags, a first aid kit, and a tow rope. The theory is to drive my truck at a safe speed i don't break it. (probably why Elliot broke me off in the whoops)

But seriously in the last 20+ years, only had a few occasions where we had to bust out tools. and only times trucks got towed back were for things that nobody would have spare parts for liked being rolled or timing belt blowing up.
It's one of those better to have it and not need it. Then to just not have it and ruin a weekend for something simple.

Just a small sampling of recent fail haha

Zipties win races
53165452042_62fc2b4a54_b.jpg

Sometimes old people hit stumps
53166242864_2ed12e7bb6_b.jpg

Sometimes shit blows up.
52673438443_7049893fe5_b.jpg

brand new tires get flats
50367553928_3610d84277_b.jpg

only fans blow up
50368334076_bdb4eb896e_b.jpg

Brakes be breakin
50367636938_482ef5d9f7_b.jpg

old people fall asleep

50368337931_ca35a31d0f_b.jpg

I'll let myself out

The best is that three of those fails were all from Flaunt's truck on the same trip haha. Steve is bad luck for him.

Good thread, Im definitely underprepared compared to some of you. I bring tool bag, jack, compressor, pull strap, spare tire and cooler full of beverages and snacks

Been meaning to post these. I love these big Ice Packs for my designated truck cooler. They stay frozen for a few days. A much better option than ice for a cool weather weekend trip. They also keep the contents in the cooler tighter than ice or frozen water bottles (no more exploding beers).

IMG_0555.jpeg

TOURIT Large Reusable Ice Pack...

Im just starting to get my rig setup. Picked up some pelican type bins for tool storage in the truck. Working on mounting and organizing now. Got tired of the HD special totes getting destroyed every trip in the bed or making noise in the cab.

I’ll go over some stuff I carry!
I’ve become a huge fan of tool rolls after seeing my first one not long ago.
I buy these “bucket boss” rolls from Amazon and they’re legit! The one in the pic is 4 years old and has no rips or anything. It’s great for tossing in the can behind the seat or something because it doesn’t bang around or anything, mostly stays put and stays quiet!

I’ll go over what’s in my main one that I keep in the cab behind the seat. Easy to grab!
starting left to right
Pocket 1 has gloves, a big knife, spare wheel studs, some small lengths of -3 brake line as well as -3 plugs/ caps. Also a valve stem repair kit and valve stems.

Pocket 2
all my sockets. Mostly 3/8 drive but I have a few of the bigger sizes my truck needs in 1/2” drive and only the small common 1/4 drive sockets . 3/8 extensions , 3/8 drive to 1/2 adapter. 1/4 drive ratchet. All standard sizes with the exception of a 9 and 10mm 1/4” drive ( I don’t carry no metric shit) lol

pocket 3
3/8 drive ratchet, and screwdrivers of all different types. Also a small pry bar and standard Allen key set. (I don’t carry no metric shit)

Pocket 4
Pinchers pocket
Pliers of different types, wire crimp and vice grips.

pocket 5 is all my wrenches. I like putting the small wrenches on a carabiner like in the photo just cuz it’s easy that way. Once again all standard with the exception of a 8/10mm combo wrench.

Pocket 6
Electrical stuff. Lengths of wire, butt connectors, tape, heat shrink and a few special fasteners like spare engine mount bolts (my trucks allergic to those) bus bar screws and some other small random stuff
Also some self fusing tape.

Also inside the cab I have a breaker bar with 1” socket for my lug nuts fastened to the cage
New fancy speed strap.

I’ve got a prp cage mounted bag that I found at a yard sale for $1 that I have a ton of big hardware in, heims, jam nuts and longer lengths of -3 line.

Outside the truck I have a spare belt zip tied to the engine cage
One life trauma kit on the bed cage and that’s about it
When I do longer point to point runs I have a rack that bolts to the bed cage and then holds some huge plank bins full of junk that I won’t get into haha

One thing I’d like to do is start carrying spare parts. So any input on small parts I should be carrying for a 4.0 ranger let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1236.jpeg
    IMG_1236.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 20

My Bronco is used for work and primarily in Baja, where help (and trailers) are often hours away. So, I try to take spares for just about anything that will stop me from moving.

That said, considering the number of dirt miles, It’s pretty rare for me to pull tools out for myself. But I like helping and try to be the first to pull tools, jack, whatever out when someone breaks… I’ve been that guy and unexpected help always makes it better. So, to that end… lots spares, a decent selection of tools and general supplies to get myself or someone else rolling.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 28
Going to have to have you on the podcast sir to chat about your packing abilities!
Ha! It’s really not that impressive... Just don’t want to spend what little time I make to go out to the desert broken down! But, when it happens, you can be sure I’ll have enough gear to make it a damn good time!

Last edited:
Back