Ditch Loop Trail Work

dude putting in work!... this is a climbing trail or a new decent trail you are working on ?
It is a climb trail primarily. Trying to get around the ugly rutted / off camber stuff of the old line. The way the water funnels down that section seems pointless to try and fix.

I am bummed that we are finally getting some good water on the ground and I am going out of town for the weekend. Hopefully some of the moisture stays in the dirt until the following weekend so I can go up and pack in some sections.

How's the trail holding up? Going to have lots of trimming to worry about with all this rain! Going to try to get our group out at least once a month to help out...

I haven't been up there in a bit. Other projects and priorities took over life and now I have to start back from scratch on fitness. I broke my tail bone (i think) a little while back sledding and a bike seat is the last thing I want to think about right now.

Maybe I need to schedule a hike in with the dog to at least get a eye on things.

I haven't been up there in a bit. Other projects and priorities took over life and now I have to start back from scratch on fitness. I broke my tail bone (i think) a little while back sledding and a bike seat is the last thing I want to think about right now.

Maybe I need to schedule a hike in with the dog to at least get a eye on things.
oh man that sounds terrible dude! we can get the boys rallied and get some work do to clear some brush up there cause its gunna need it

Trail looks good from a water damage view. Someone dug some diversion channels and water bars on the lower up section. They even opened up the path around the washout. The last steep drop was still good with no sketchy spots. I was taking it slow as the line of sight was junk due to the growth. Hard to run fast when you cant see the ground ahead of you.
On the brush side of things it is worse than it was last year when I cleared it. Looks like I will be going back in with power tools and start clearing it. I will probably work backwards until I get to the peak and then start from the bottom and work my way back up to the top from the start.
On the bonus side the golf course trails are fantastic from the pedestrian bridge all the way down to the wrecked car.

I am getting my hands on a gas powered trimmer for the weekend. I am hoping to do a big push and hike the whole trail clearing as I go. Anyone want to rake? I am shooting for Friday morning to start. I decided I am going to work from Ditch up vs hiking it backward. That way if I don't make it all the way I can ride in to where I left off. I will come back with the battery hedge trimmer for the bigger stuff later.

I am getting my hands on a gas powered trimmer for the weekend. I am hoping to do a big push and hike the whole trail clearing as I go. Anyone want to rake? I am shooting for Friday morning to start. I decided I am going to work from Ditch up vs hiking it backward. That way if I don't make it all the way I can ride in to where I left off. I will come back with the battery hedge trimmer for the bigger stuff later.
I cant get out there this weekend my daughter's B-day party on Sunday so I gotta work on my own weeds... @chadness might be down to help ya?

Crazy how much better even the $100 homelight works than the Dewalt cordless for bigger work. I need to get the larger 0.105 twine in the head but it ate the little bit I cleared on the way home yesterday. I can say that this is going to take way longer than I thought. I am still trying to get through this section as it is my way in. The rest should go faster until i get to the second half of the climb and I hit the hip high grass.Screenshot_20230504_073848_Maps.jpg

Crazy how much better even the $100 homelight works than the Dewalt cordless for bigger work. I need to get the larger 0.105 twine in the head but it ate the little bit I cleared on the way home yesterday. I can say that this is going to take way longer than I thought. I am still trying to get through this section as it is my way in. The rest should go faster until i get to the second half of the climb and I hit the hip high grass.View attachment 8972
@Douglas send me this wire wheel link this am

I picked one up...

I think this is going to be my next purchase.

Probably do the tool only has I already have a bunch of batteries

I would think you will be picking tangled grass and plant parts out of that wire wheel when using it in the wild vs grass growing through concrete cracks. I wonder if the two battery whip will take strain off each battery where they aren't overheating when used hard. My batteries will stop from heat prior to draining when doing brush work.
The stealth aspect is real nice for doing close to humanity work or in a controlled area.

Maybe this for the first pass when dealing with mustard and tumble weeds or other thick stalk plants.

I would think you will be picking tangled grass and plant parts out of that wire wheel when using it in the wild vs grass growing through concrete cracks. I wonder if the two battery whip will take strain off each battery where they aren't overheating when used hard. My batteries will stop from heat prior to draining when doing brush work.
The stealth aspect is real nice for doing close to humanity work or in a controlled area.
I'll report back on that and also I picked up a fresh tank and fuel lines for my Homelite Gasser... I will fire up that bitch in Newsome's honor and let her eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111 ✌️

Got this far in clearing over the weekend. Went through 180' of line so far. I dont have much more brush from here to the top, mostly grasses so it should go faster. Haven't bothered raking any of it yet.
Screenshot_20230508_061330_Strava.jpg

So the ride down to the trail head from where I stopped trimming yesterday was 1.3 miles. Over the last three days i have 4.6 miles of movement in the sections I have trimmed. Hiking with the trimmer and moving the bike up the trail. I only was tracking from when I got to the last place I left off to where I finished that day. Hope to get to the top after work today.

Back