Tired old Tahoe

The new DD , gonna drive this thing around and I can start working on a plan for the Tahoe. For now just gonna rock the Tahoe like it is and figure how I wanna build it up a bit
IMG_8397.jpeg

Pimped the mystery light bar on the DD a bit with some yellow Lamin-x film
IMG_8620.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 7
The DD stealing all the funds 🙄

Had to throw tires on it after I over trusted the old tires for a road trip … and the oil filter adapter was leaking on the 5.4 so that turned into replace all the cooling stuff and belt stuff as well as the gasket on that pain in the ass oil filter adapter

Seems like the previous owner added a bit too much water and not enough antifreeze to the cooling system , shit was brick red , solid rinse was in order. Some people’s kids man!

Also had a chance to throw an old UMP I had on the truck as well, to replace that China special cone filter

Attachments

• IMG_9127.jpeg
    IMG_9127.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9133.jpeg
    IMG_9133.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9089.jpeg
    IMG_9089.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9058.jpeg
    IMG_9058.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8948.jpeg
    IMG_8948.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 6
I love these things and almost bought one myself! They're so easy to slap some bypasses and 35s on, hit the hills, sleep in the back with a heater, and tow your trailer with!.. WITH passengers!

Definitely gonna go back and read your build and regularly check for updates. Vicariously living through you now 😂

I love these things and almost bought one myself! They're so easy to slap some bypasses and 35s on, hit the hills, sleep in the back with a heater, and tow your trailer with!.. WITH passengers!

Definitely gonna go back and read your build and regularly check for updates. Vicariously living through you now 😂
Definitely Needs some bigger shocks but for what it is, with beadlocks and a rear locker it goes places and does things that regularly surprise me. And for sure wish it had 35s!! Thanks for checking it out

IMG_9701.jpeg
My short trail adventure yesterday netted some negative results, came home to a flat front passenger tire 🤦‍♂️

Aired it up, snooped it and found part of the sidewall tread block tore up from the floor up.

With it being tread block I was able to shove some plug in it to hold air.

Looks like it’s tire time, gotta say these Patagonias didn’t hold up great, I don’t even party THAT hard 🤷

Attachments

• IMG_9702.jpeg
    IMG_9702.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9703.jpeg
    IMG_9703.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 6
Only way to find out would be to take the torsion bars and bump stops out and cycle the suspension. I don't know off hand though I don't even know what MY torsion bar truck gets 😂 I tried Googleing it but had no luck finding it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Torsion bars have a linear spring rate unlike offroad coil springs (onroad coilover coils are linear) that have a progressive rate. There's a common misconception that cranking torsions makes your truck ride like dog shit, but it doesn't matter what position they're in, they'll feel the same. What makes your truck ride like dog shit is cranking all the down travel out of your suspension. I got my truck an inch higher in the front then the rear and also managed to leave myself 2" of down travel which suited my needs fine. Rides just like it did when it was raked out sitting stink bug.

I personally love the way progessive rate coils (or even stock struts) feel compared to torsion bars. I would do a coilover conversion in a heartbeat. Worth every penny. But that's just my opinion.

If you're not a aggressive driver maybe try ditching the sway bar first (or disconnecting the end links). That'll free up your suspension A LOT. It's the first thing I do to almost every vehicle I own. But I also drive (on oublic roads lol) very smooth and calm.

Btw that YouTube thing was a link. First time I tried adding a YouTube video on here 🤷‍♂️

Do you know how much travel you can get out of torsion bars? I can’t find a good answer

Part of me wants to just jam on the torsion bars and part of me wants to bite the bullet and convert to coilovers
Short answer to your question - think of torsion bars as springs that control your ride height. Nothing more, nothing less. Your suspension is what allows you a certain amount of travel. That would mean your upper and lower arms, spindles, and bump stops / bump stop mounts.

Short answer to your question - think of torsion bars as springs that control your ride height. Nothing more, nothing less. Your suspension is what allows you a certain amount of travel. That would mean your upper and lower arms, spindles, and bump stops / bump stop mounts.
I do know what they are and what they do 😂 I was looking for like “oh you can get 10” out of torsion bars” but in my heart coilovers are always singing their siren song

Back