switch pros or Spod?

Don't really have any info on s-pod or switch-pro but I have the 8 button aux beam one in my rangers and its great for the price. Also have it in the clean-dezert trailer and have had zero issues. I got them off amazon on prime day last year for like 90 bucks each if I remember correctly.

I dont have experience with either but heard a guy saying the spod touch screen is sometimes unresponsive and frustrating so he switched to switch pros. He said he would have to push screen multiple times sometimes. He also said there is a great amount of customization on switch pros which is also why he switched.
Again this is from someone I heard talking about the two.

I love the sp-9100 I have. Its an excellent product in form and function. For me, the main selling points were the potted electronics, sealed plugs, and built in current limiting (no fuses to deal with). The install is really easy and its a super clean setup and very compact. I wish I had gotten the 12 circuit one no that I am adding more aux fans and an intercooler pump but otherwise I have been really happy with it.

Can't comment on the spod but I would 100% do the sp again.

Sean

I like the SP. Solid state and functions sold me. I have had my fair share of issues with Relays and switches. It can be programmed and u can use an app if that is enticing to you. Very easy to wire as well. I know the s-pod stuff used to use relays and fuses and were pretty bulky compared to the SP.

Note the cicuit amp max load (this can go fast depending; even with led lights (I like all my lights on one switch) ha ha):
  • Four 35A circuits and four 20A circuits

I’ve used both quite a few times and like them both. I have two SPODS in the Bronco. One that runs all front car accessories and one for the rear. I don’t use all the circuits, but the idea was that if i ever had a failure, I could swap them to make sure the front accessories (front lights and seat things and stuff)… I’ve had them in the car for about 5 years and zero issues. One thing I like about the SPODS (if you need this feature), is that you can use mechanical switches for all switch circuits if you want... nice if you don’t want to use a switch panel.
Switch Pros has this for at least two, maybe three switch circuits… works great for most applications.

We’ve used the Switch Pros on a lot of our builds At work, also without issues. I put one in my 69 Camaro to run accessories as I add them. I installed it on a bit of a whim but love having it!

All that said, there’s tons of options now and for the future. SCOSCHE and SSVV had some pretty rad offerings that released fairly recently.

thanks steveg for the reply. its good to read from someone that has hands on with both.

do you know if SCOSHE and SSW have products at the up coming offroad expo?

sPOD is a very user-friendly power management system. We enjoy the variety of different switch panels that they offer. With being able to run 30A per circuit and 100A altogether it's a no-problem solution to help run all of our accessories. Having two different options of units, one utilizes an 8-switch circuit which is expandable up to 32 circuits. The other unit is a 6-switch system for a more simplified setup. sPOD being very serviceable and having a 5-year limited warranty on their product helps ensure you are utilizing a solid product. They also have an amazing customer service team and a wealth of knowledge to help guide you to what you need. Let me know if you guys have any other questions feel free to reach out.

Best,
Bill

https://www.4x4spod.com/what-is-an-spod/

1695859307162.png

Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales And Support
Baja Designs | 2950 Norman Strasse Rd. | San Marcos, CA 92069
Phone: +1 760-539-3469 | Email: Bill@bajadesigns.com

So if I'm understanding right, there is the switch panel, and control module. Power goes to the control module, and that supplies all the accessories. The switch panel is connected to the control module with one cable?

Hey @thebodj
Correct, from the control module to the switch panel it's connected by one RJ45 cable.

Best,
Bill

1695927420921.png

Bill Sonevongxay| forum Sales and Support |
| 2950 Norman Strasse Rd. | San Marcos, CA 92069
| Baja Designs: 760-560-2252 Email: Bill@bajadesigns.com

Hey @thebodj
Correct, from the control module to the switch panel it's connected by one RJ45 cable.

Best,
Bill

View attachment 14989

Bill Sonevongxay| forum Sales and Support |
| 2950 Norman Strasse Rd. | San Marcos, CA 92069
| Baja Designs: 760-560-2252 Email: Bill@bajadesigns.com

How does the RJ45 hold up to the elements? Those connectors are typically used in an enclosed, non dynamic environment.

Hey @JACKSONRALLYINC

The RJ45 holds up well for its use. We have not seen any damage to them in many scenarios. This cable is used so that way it's easy to fix when it needs to be swapped out and it creates a user-friendly diagnostic. If you are worried about the cable there is an option to run their BantamX & SourceLT completely Bluetooth utilizing their app.

Best,
Bill

Hey @JACKSONRALLYINC

The RJ45 holds up well for its use. We have not seen any damage to them in many scenarios. This cable is used so that way it's easy to fix when it needs to be swapped out and it creates a user-friendly diagnostic. If you are worried about the cable there is an option to run their BantamX & SourceLT completely Bluetooth utilizing their app.

Best,
Bill
Thats the problem with an SP, the cable for the switches can not be touched via there warranty… id much prefer the ability to change and determine my own length as well…

Can someone point me in the right direction or give me some info on using some SPods or Switch pros to run my whole truck? I hate wiring and want it to be as simple as possible so my pea brain can add or work on it.

Short story is the engine will be managed through a holly dash and computer/harness.
One panel id like things such as, ignition, rad/oil cooler fans, etc that has to do with major components.
Second panel to control things like lights, blinkers, windows, etc.

The truck will be very bare bones street/race turk. Not alot of creature comforts, so 2 panels would be more than enough.

Tell me if im dumb or not, or what else i might need to pull it off.

Can someone point me in the right direction or give me some info on using some SPods or Switch pros to run my whole truck? I hate wiring and want it to be as simple as possible so my pea brain can add or work on it.

Short story is the engine will be managed through a holly dash and computer/harness.
One panel id like things such as, ignition, rad/oil cooler fans, etc that has to do with major components.

The truck will be very bare bones street/race turk. Not alot of creature comforts, so 2 panels would be more than enough.

I used a switch pros to run my ranger. I had the ignition, fuel pump, starter, and radiator fans to it. Super easy to hook up. i did run the radiator fans through relays just because they pull a lot of power. The ignition and fuel pump and all that stuff was ran directly to the switch pros. It’s easy.

Hey @Flapjack935

With any sPOD unit, it will help clean up any wiring in your engine bay and make the process that much easier. We have 2 different styles of units which are the SourceLT and the BantamX.

For the route you are going with, I would suggest checking out the BantamX. With this unit, you are looking at an 8-circuit unit rated at 30 amps per circuit which will allow you to run 100amps at once. While the unit usually sits in the engine bay there's an (RJ45) Ethernet cable that runs through the firewall which powers an HD, Touchscreen, or a Rocker Switch panel. You also have the ability to run everything off your phone since this unit has built-in Bluetooth. Another key thing I would like to highlight is that you could link up to 4 units which will allow you to gain up to 32 usable switches. I will go ahead and provide a link to this unit, if you have any other questions please feel free to reach out.

sPOD Units :
- BantamX HD – Universal

- SourceLT Modular – Universal

Best,
Bill

A black and white logoDescription automatically generated
Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: Bill@bajadesigns.com Phone: (760)560-2252

Last edited:
Hey @Flapjack935

With any sPOD unit, it will help clean up any wiring in your engine bay and make the process that much easier. We have 2 different styles of units which are the SourceLT and the BantamX.

For the route you are going with, I would suggest checking out the BantamX. With this unit, you are looking at an 8-circuit unit rated at 30 amps per circuit which will allow you to run 100amps at once. While the unit usually sits in the engine bay there's an (RJ45) Ethernet cable that runs through the firewall which powers an HD, Touchscreen, or a Rocker Switch panel. You also have the ability to run everything off your phone since this unit has built-in Bluetooth. Another key thing I would like to highlight is that you could link up to 4 units which will allow you to gain up to 32 usable switches. I will go ahead and provide a link to this unit, if you have any other questions please feel free to reach out.

sPOD Units :
- BantamX HD – Universal

- SourceLT Modular – Universal

Best,
Bill

View attachment 15609
Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: Bill@bajadesigns.com Phone: (760)560-2252
Much appreciated. I’ll check this out and read up on how it all works. If I have any questions I’ll reach out.

Hey guys, I wanted to make sure we chimed in and offered some details on what Switch-Pros brings to the table. I pulled everything listed directly off of our website so there will be an overload of information. I personally have been using our products on prerunner and race truck builds for the last 10 years with great success. I have tied our systems into Holley engine management for fans and fuel pumps. We also have the RCR Force 12 switch that has even more capacity. If anyone has any questions about wiring or system functionality please feel free to shot me a DM.

and did I mention American made????????

Thank you
Brennan (aka Goofballracer)
  • 125 User-selectable switch legends
  • Eight user-programmable switches
  • Four 35A circuits and four 20A circuits
  • Waterproof, Solid State 125A Power Module
  • RGB Backlighting provides unlimited color options, using Color Picker on App
  • Daisy Chain up to 3 Switch Panels to One Power Module to allow control of your 8 outputs from up to 3 locations on your vehicle
  • Switches can be programmed for:
    • On/Off or Momentary
    • Ignition or Battery Input
    • Flash or Strobe, with User-Selectable Strobe patterns and One Touch activation
    • Memory Function
    • Master Mode, with ability to turn multiple outputs On AND Off with one touch
    • Automatic Power-Up upon vehicle start up
  • Two External trigger inputs can each activate up to four outputs (Active High or Active Low)
  • Lighting outputs can dim from 100% to 10%, with ability to dim during Flash or Strobe patterns
  • Sleep Mode for minimal power consumption
  • Color Coded circuit wires
  • LED Input Status Indicators for easy troubleshooting
  • Time Delay Off function available for all circuits
  • Splash proof switch panel with Polycarbonate overlay faceplate
  • Program and control the system from switch panel pad or smart phone
  • Bluetooth interface with FREE Apple or Android App
  • Battery Voltage Readout on App screen
  • No Fuses or Bulky Relay box
  • Built-In Bluetooth Module
Switch Panel Specs:
RGB Backlighting provides unlimited color options, allows for exact matching to factory dash lighting
  • Built-In Bezel Style Switch Panel enclosure measures 4” L x 2” W x .375” H ; includes concealed mounting hardware for factory-look installation
  • Orange LED switch indicators
  • 100 User Selectable Legends
Power Module Specs:
  • 8 Outputs: 4 rated @ 35A, 4 rated @ 20A
  • 125A maximum rating
  • Waterproof and Solid State
  • 6”L x 3”W x .5”H (excluding connectors)
  • LED Input Status Indicators for easy troubleshooting
  • Underhood rated 125° to -40°C
Kit Also Includes:
  • 11’ of Communication Cable between Switch Panel and Power Module
  • Color Coded Output wires
  • Wire harness with Waterproof, sealed automotive grade connectors
  • Power Cable with 125A inline fuse
  • RCR-Touch®8

Last edited:
Back