Rust Prevention Tips?

gtrainor21

Hi, I'm back with more dumb questions!

Has anyone found any good methods to minimize the rust while you build your trucks? As much as I'd like to keep my next build 100% indoors that wont be the case me, at least not at first. Either way I figured I'm looking at extra prep before any welding happens as I find time to build the truck. Is there anything easier to remove later than surface rust? Just say screw it and Steel-It as I go?

Harbor fright tarps, canvas first under plastic ( helps absorb humidity drips) Good ol WD-40 till it runs and use the non aerosol it goes a lot further for your dollar. Or linseed oil almost candies it. We used to use it a bunch on raw buggy chassis back in the day. Its more messy but if your going long stretches' between working on it, it works. Used to live near Pismo and never had rust issues. But the best way is to move to the high desert where nothing rusts lol.

PS (By no means a dumb question)

Harbor fright tarps, canvas first under plastic ( helps absorb humidity drips) Good ol WD-40 till it runs and use the non aerosol it goes a lot further for your dollar. Or linseed oil almost candies it. We used to use it a bunch on raw buggy chassis back in the day. Its more messy but if your going long stretches' between working on it, it works. Used to live near Pismo and never had rust issues. But the best way is to move to the high desert where nothing rusts lol.

PS (By no means a dumb question)
Tarping it was definitely going to happen, I like the idea of a canvas tarp in between! luckily its not usually humid where I'm at in SE AZ, but in the summer when the monsoon moisture rolls in we can get a 2-3 months of 40-90 percent humidity. WD40 was my initial thoughts, I probably wont go more than a month at a time without touching the truck but if its longer than that sounds like linseed oil might be the trick.

I looked up Boeshield, that looks like some pretty good stuff too. Sounds like its suited well for extended storage

Coming from someone who unfortunately has to store the truck in the driveway, the best way to keep it from rusting is to never let the material begin to rust in the first place. My truck unfortunately sat outside by the beach after the exhaust was done (completely unbeknownst to myself and the fabricator) and now my truck continues to rust no matter how much i scrub it off.

What i have found works the best is straight ATF. I have a small towel I’ve coated in the stuff that I use to wipe the truck down with consistently and it has mostly managed it. I keep the truck under a tarp and I’ve noticed that it tends to retain humidity after it rains and evaporates off the ground. If my city would allow it i would buy one of those 20x10ft car port covers from harbor freight and box the sides in as well leaving a bit of room at the top and bottom for airflow to vent through. Then you can still work on the truck without having to drag tarps and stuff on and off the truck as well

I gave up trying to keep bare metal coated and started painting everything as I went. One night in Pismo with no windows and my whole truck was bright orange in the morning finally put me over. Rustoleum Professional is my go to as it sticks way better than the cheaper stuff, is UV stable, and holds up to rock chips fairly well. It's easy to sand off when the time comes to make modifications and burns away in front of a MIG weld if you can't get it all. Tried the Steel-it a few times but it would contaminate the weld and not burn off as fast. I sprayed the whole rear with CAT tractor paint and it did hold up better but tearing down the whole truck was a chore.

Back