Notching tubing when fabricating - who/what/where/how/pics - all of that

+1 vote for the JDsquared holesaw notcher & angle grinder.
Ameribrade would be dope, but that's a very spendy tool.

for angle-finding, ain't no way i'm going to be doing calcs - but a long time ago I made a quick tool using 2 metal rulers bolted together with just the perfect amount of tension in them and I use that to eyeball the angle I need & transfer that over to the hole saw notcher. better versions of this exist off-the-shelf

For any newbies, the thing that hasn't been mentioned yet that we all probably already know - grind out your notches so that you get a bevel end on the tube. Meaning create yourself a "chamfer" of sorts as seen from the outside of the tube so that the weld actually has near full thickness to melt into. stronger & prettier.

I've used the JD2 as well as the Rogue Versa notcher but never fell in love with a hand drill operated notcher. I started with a harbor freight drill press mounted one and love the power of the motor and the safety of securely holding both the hole saw and the tube. My problem is the Harbor freight version and the Woodward fab versions are getting thinner, weaker, and using worst materials than ever before. They also max out at 60 degrees, maybe 70 if you trim out the slot and clearance the clamp a bit.

What other drill mounted notchers are out there? I'm looking for stronger mounting plate, heavy steel tube clamping mechanism, easy adjustability, reasonably priced, and maybe offset notching.

$55 with plenty of clones in different colors

$65 HF quality with needle bearing shaft block

$390 Checks the boxes for more sturdy but limited to 60 degrees and getting pricey

$409 Beefy, name brand but limited to 50 degrees and no offset notching

Are there any I'm missing or should I just quit being a bitch and buy a drill with a clutch to keep all my teeth when it catches?

I have a JD squared notcher with the swag reacharound, it’s worked well for making the same joint multiple times in a row; but honestly since I’ve been using Bendtech Pro I love the wrappers so much I use those with a porta-band, 4” flap disc, and a drum sander.

I literally use a ryobi battery hand drill with my holesaw notcher & very rarely have catching problems.
wd40 for lube, click that lower gear on the drill & keep the pressure high.

I literally use a ryobi battery hand drill with my holesaw notcher & very rarely have catching problems.
I also use a battery hand drill (Milwaukee) on the slower #1 setting. No lube DRY BABY to much mess to clean out of the tube. Never have catching issues. Used the same 1 3/4" hole saw the entire front half build of my tundra.

I used my milwaukee m18 drill but the clutch didn't like it so I swapped over to an old corded makita drill that doesn't have a clutch, I use 5w-30 or tap magic for lube, don't have any problems catching.

Back