Mitre Joints - Measuring & Fabricating

4xFoorOffroad

Thought it would be greatly helpful to have a similar thread to the bending and notching about mitres - measuring on and off the truck, how to cut, tools, prep, and weld them too.

Can’t find good info on YouTube besides a Kibbe video (no judgement) where he just lays two tubes on a table and traces them. Not really viable for the application of a tube you’re connecting to that’s already on the truck.

Thanks

I often use the solidworks method as mentioned. Print a 1:1 flat pattern, cut out. Wrap around tube and mark and cut.
But also string line is a great tool to use on a chassis! (Can you tell I work construction?)
Use magnets to hold your string line on both points and (usually)a speed square to measure your angles

I often use the solidworks method as mentioned. Print a 1:1 flat pattern, cut out. Wrap around tube and mark and cut.
But also string line is a great tool to use on a chassis! (Can you tell I work construction?)
Use magnets to hold your string line on both points and (usually)a speed square to measure your angles
That's a great idea. I used string line a long time ago when I worked with a guy that did masonry and now that you mention it, a couple of cheap mic stands (like $10 a piece) would allow you to place a string with a magnet (or just tie it on the mic stand) just about anywhere you wanted. I've been too busy to work on my rigs lately but I was thinking about how using the pipe master has been helping with funky / hard to reach notches and maybe a bunch of pre-cut pieces of angle iron at different angles could help both in eyeballing the right angle and as a guide for marking / cutting the mitre.

Back