Most popular transmission. T400?

chipw

I bought a used prerunner with a6.0L Votec mated to a Turbo 400, reverse pattern, manual shift transmission. Rearend is geared at 5:29. This transmission seems bombproof and i love the low end torque, which i suppose is why it seems so popular of a transmission, but on the road 65mph is about the max crusing speed i can get. Its not a road vehicle, but i still find myself wishing i had one more gear.
What are some other popular transmissions used in these types of vehicles? Whats the reason for the turbo 400's popularity? This may be a stupid question, im new to these types of trucks. Being from Georgia, theres not a lot of local knowledge to draw upon. Were mostly rock crawlers or mall crawlers around her

Attachments

• 20240221_093207.jpg
    20240221_093207.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 16
Th400 are popular because they are a very strong transmission without much parts needed to be upgraded. The next best option for you to want to drop highway RPMs would be to get a 4l80e. Manual valve body would make it not electronic and work as your th400 does now. BUT would require driveline modification, trans crossmember and mount, shifter, etc. So if you want to drop RPM on freeway cruising the limited amount that you do you will have to pony up decent money on a 4l80e OR you could find a gear vendors unit for the back of your th400 to make it an overdrive but then you lose some strength for the transmission.

Th400 are popular because they are a very strong transmission without much parts needed to be upgraded. The next best option for you to want to drop highway RPMs would be to get a 4l80e. Manual valve body would make it not electronic and work as your th400 does now. BUT would require driveline modification, trans crossmember and mount, shifter, etc. So if you want to drop RPM on freeway cruising the limited amount that you do you will have to pony up decent money on a 4l80e OR you could find a gear vendors unit for the back of your th400 to make it an overdrive but then you lose some strength for the transmission.
Thanks. I doubt I'll be changing this transmission. It's great for 90% of what the truck does. Thats good info for future projects though, i appreciate it.

Th400 is a strong 3 speed trans, the 4l80e is a 4 speed version of the same transmission. They're electronic from factory with ecu controlling it and lockup converter BUT you can install a manual valve body and non lockup converter and essentially have a 4 speed th400

4l80e is a good option if you want that fourth gear.

Also gearing has a big play in your rpms when driving- there is a simple calculator you can find online that will show you rpm vs speed etc.

I have a th400 with 5.13 gears on 40" tires and it works great. Cruises no problem 65-70mph at 3k rpm in third gear.

4l80e is a good option if you want that fourth gear.

Also gearing has a big play in your rpms when driving- there is a simple calculator you can find online that will show you rpm vs speed etc.

I have a th400 with 5.13 gears on 40" tires and it works great. Cruises no problem 65-70mph at 3k rpm in third gear.

Not too far off from me (2750rpm at 70mph in 4th), but I have 35s. The 40s definitely help bring the RPMs down on the highway.

Back