Adventures of Lafawnduh: The High Mileage Waptuh

Looks good!

That's funny, I just picked up a badlands jack over the weekend. I bought a mount and a cover that should be here this week. The jack is way bigger in person than i imagined for sure.

Where are you at that Tyler is local? I'm in Mohave Valley.

Been on a search for a decent Gen 1 in Oxford White or Race Red. Haven't found the right one yet.

Where are you at that Tyler is local? I'm in Mohave Valley.

Been on a search for a decent Gen 1 in Oxford White or Race Red. Haven't found the right one yet.

I am in Havasu, and when I first met Tyler he was living in Havasu as well. But now he is more local to you haha.

The best vantage point for long distance RC crawling
View attachment 13072

At this point it was January, I still hadn't rebuilt the shocks, and I had aspirations of going to KOH.
I had the Schrader valve conversion and seal kit just sitting on my dining room table. I had rebuilt motorcycle forks before, but was scared I was gonna be in over my head with these IBP Fox's. So I swallowed my pride and called a professional. Through a mutual friend I found Hutchins Race Prep. Tyler was local, knowledgeable, and just a cool dude.

I squeezed Lafawnduh into the garage and pulled the shocks off
View attachment 13076

When I pulled the rears I could fully compress the shock and it would stay compressed, no rebound at all lol. I guess it was time for a rebuild.
Tyler said there was almost no fluid in the fronts either.

Night and day difference once I had shocks that actually worked. But honestly, I was still a little disappointed in the performance and am searching for better options.

Option A: Geiser spring on the stock shock, cheapest option but I think I will still want more.

Option B: Stock Length 3.0 Coilover

Option C: Camburg Coilover Bucket that relocates the top mounting point and would allow me to run longer Gen 2 coilovers. But unsure if it's worth the headache of cutting the whole bucket out. (And no welder at this time so would have to pay for the fab work)

Option D: 3.0 Coilover, lower control arm with bypass mounts, and a 2.5 or 3.0 bypass (would also require fab work for the upper bypass mount)

Option X (cover Lafawnduh's ears): Sell the Waptuh and get a TTB Ranger (every time I see a video of Wally's turtle truck I get butterflies)

Trying to stay relatively budget friendly as fully building a Waptuh takes a lot of dough and I think there are better and cheaper trucks to build into full on desert machines. Mike's sleeper Tacoma is a big inspiration as Lafawnduh has to be a swiss army knife truck at this point in my life. I'm still renting and trying to pinch pennies until I can get a house with a garage and 220v power for a welder. So at the moment Lafawnduh pulls desert duty, camping duty, dirt bike and jetski hauling duty, as well as occasional commute to work duty.

Any insights on my existential crisis would be greatly appreciated from the wealth of knowledge here on BLGT. Thanks!

Here's a cool pic to break up all the lame writing
View attachment 13083

I got mine with 3.0 kings and I added ICON leafs and will say the truck works very well for what it is. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with that solution at all.

I got mine with 3.0 kings and I added ICON leafs and will say the truck works very well for what it is. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with that solution at all.
Yep I have Fox 3.0s up front now with icon leaf's in the back and the truck does indeed work well

Back